Need help with perimenopausal PMS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 07-05-2009, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lately I have been having severe PMS whereas I hadn't for the last 25 years. My OB thinks is due to recently coming off nursing and having babies for the last 5 years and approacing menopause (I had few if any periods, and would not have noticed any gradual drops in hormone level)

Anyway, he prescribed me Wellbutrin to take on the PMS days and I have read about taking magnesium (with calcium in my case), oil of primrose, flaxseed oil. I can say the Wellbutrin alone is not cutting it.

If you've used some combination of the substances about to help your severe PMS, what do you do?

I can honestly say my episodes of PMS are severe. I feel like someone has OD'ed my body with some chemical, just minus the injection part. I feel unable to concentrate, sleep well, am easily annoyed, and I do not treat my housework, kids, spouse, or homeschooling tasks with any level of patience or interest during those days. I hate it, and I feel terrible about it. Since PMS can last a week, it is unacceptable that I can count on acting like this 1/4 of the time until I hit menopause

But it took me a long time to figure out it was even related to my period as I have been symptomless my whole life.

I feel like I am just coming out of a big muggy fog. Maybe I've had some underlying depression and this just aggravates it out of the stratosphere. I don't know. But I need to get 4/4 weeks of the month under control first.

My OB alternatively suggested going on some sort of b.c. pill to get rid of hormonal fluxes completely. I would do this, but I am always concerned about the risk of stroke associated with the pill. I am over 40, and my mother had repeated strokes until her death.

Ideas? Help?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page