DS's Staph-Silver Hydrosol-no abx-DH outraged - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4.5yo DS has staph infection on upper arm. Hot red. Noticed it yesterday. Scared. DH took DS to "minute clinic" at Walgreens. prescribed Cephalexin. Today I took DS to naturopath, who told me that is not appropriate at this stage and for a child. Prescribed silver hydrosol to be taken on a strict regiment. Along with some homeopathic immune booster called Immugen and high potency probiotics called HLC.

Now DH thinks that if he stops taking the Cephalexin that THAT would lead to MRSA, but I know that the silver will be killing the bugs.

Mostly I am writing to see if A) you have used silver hydrosol successfully
B) what is your opinion
C) words of encouragement!

The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak. I know I am up against a wall with respect to DH, DM, and DF. But I want his body to be healthy!
#2 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveJewel View Post
Today I took DS to naturopath, who told me that is not appropriate at this stage and for a child. Prescribed silver hydrosol to be taken on a strict regiment.
what did the naturopath mean by this? the infection isn't bad enough to warrant using the atbx? what makes it less appropriate for a child?

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#3 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

He meant that it was a harsh compound with side effects that could potentially really harm him. And that we should try something slightly less harmful to the body that could also kill the bacteria. That is my understanding of it.
#4 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 05:56 PM

Your husband is correct in that you don't stop an antibiotic. You killed off some but not all the staph. You don't leave the strongest/less susceptable already guys to possibly reproduce by stopping the antibiotic you started.

I guess I'm saying that, depending on the infection, this silver and how he's taking it, and whether it was MRSA (did they culture ?) silver might have been a good first choice. But since you started the antibiotic you don't stop the antibiotic. I agree with your husband. I'm really surprised a naturopath recommended you stop the antibiotic after you'd started it.

Further, silver is also an antibiotic. It kills off the good bacteria as well as the bad. The plus in it is it might (depending on form and dosing) be stronger/less likely to have resistant bacteria. But it's still antibacterial. You're still wiping out the gut bacteria assuming you'd be giving the silver internally. So whatever you use you need a high quality probiotic three hours after every antibiotic (including silver) dose.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM

:
Do not discontinue the antibiotics now that you have started them. Also, I personally would be more concerned about a child taking a silver compound in high doses than Cephalexin, since the liver is not as large as an adults and not as developed yet.
#6 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... if the silver is also an antibiotic, then how would stopping the cephalexin, but taking the silver create the superbugs? Like if you have an allergy to an antibiotic you don't finish it before you start a new one that you are not allergic to. Isn't this just replacing one antibiotic with another?
#7 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 06:16 PM

You killed the stuff not susceptable to the Cephalexin and left the ones less suspectible to that antibiotic. Further, you don't know how potent this particular silver is. Is he taking it internally? Not all silvers are as effective. Given the wanting to try it first it doesn't sound like it's a sure thing in the naturopaths mind.

I do not stop even natural antibitocs to sub others before 7 days. You're right about antibiotic allergies (and they do it for failures too). But I don't see switching to a silver solution after a day or so of ceaphalexin the same thing at all. Nor do I see it as a wise choice in this situation.

You're killing the good bacteria either way. You've already done it. I'd finish the prescription. I did an oral antibiotic with a strep skin infection with my kid. I did a natural antibiotic after. Sometimes it's good to get it done with a sort of sure thing and serious staph (beyond impetigo) is one of those situations for me. And it's never wise to unnecessarily stop and antibiotic natural or prescription after you're started.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#8 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Yes he is taking it internally. It is 23 ppm. He didn't say, "Let's try this first." That was more my interpretation of it. Also, even the doc at Walgreens said, "I'm not sure if this will work, but we'll try it." So I think that with bacterial cellulitis you just have to formulate some kind of plan and keep re-evaluating it.

The concerns about stopping the abx are the most pressing. I will call the doc and bring up the concerns. Thanks for the input.
#9 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM

I would not do a systemic antibiotic for a topical infection.

I'm awed that folks believe that whatever broad spectrum antibiotic was prescribed is perceived to be the "correct" medication and panacea. We are unable to be all knowing, including MDs. And the belief that physicians are all knowing, is dangerous, imo.

Assuming wound has bacteria A, and if antibiotic for bacteria B is prescribed, wound is no better or worse for having not taken the antibiotic. Only if antibiotic B was indicated, is is useful. I would want a more complete diagnosis before taking an antibiotic which could be *unnecessary* and *harmful*.

I'd apply coconut oil and/or lavender essential oil, which both help kill staph, even MRSA.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...microbial.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16048923

Epsom salt soaks will help with healing also.

I have a few dead horses which I choose to beat. The MYTH and FEAR associated with discontinuing UNNECESSARY antibiotics, in the event of improperly prescribed (viral illness), or excessive diarrhea (antibiotic induced diarrhea-which could be dangerous C. difficile overgrowth), is one of them. There is no "rule" or "obligation" to continue an UNNECESSARY antibiotic "once started". That just *further* sensitizes bacteria to the antibiotic, INCREASING the risk of developing antibiotic-resistant bacteria in your child, or in your own gut.

I fully support consulting or notifying the prescribing physician to discuss follow-up, if antibiotics are started and need to be discontinued.

However, it is NOT "harmless", and is potentially dangerous, to continue the same antibiotics with no documented infection. I would not continue the antibiotic blindly due to some perceived "obligation".

The healthy body can recover from bacterial and viral illnesses, without antibiotics.

Unnecessary antibiotics ARE dangerous! Antibiotics damage the integrity of the microbial balance in the gut.
The healthy gut microflora is 70-80% of the immune system. Impaired immune systems are less effective at healing the body.

Question antibiotics.
Do not continue them blindly.

Please see the links about developing antibiotic resistance in post #141. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=141

Only way I'd consider antibiotics is for an infection with a culture and sensitivity. C&S do take time. Unfortunately, there ARE antibiotic-resistant bacteria, precisely BECAUSE of over-prescribing of unnecessary broad-spectrum antibiotics, by MDs. I would not treat with antibiotics as the first alternative, BECAUSE I don't want to be feeding antibiotics to bacteria unnecessarily and CAUSING the bacteria to become antibiotic-resistant, in my child or myself.

I'm not "against" antibiotics. I am an advocate of optimizing our immune system, preferably with natural microbial balance in the gut, nutrient dense whole foods (especially cultured and fermented probiotics), and natural exposure to common diseases, and avoidance of unnecessary chemicals including pharmaceuticals for those common illnesses. I believe we can avoid and treat most diseases with nutrition and holistic health practices. Unfortunately, most people are not informed and healthy enough to choose a non-mainstream alternative. There is a cascade of side-effects and consequences of our mainstream health choices, ime.

I do NOT AGREE that "once one starts antibiotics, that one must finish antibiotic" IN THE EVENT of them being *unnecessary in the first place*, like with an ear infection in a child over age 2, or after antibiotic-induced diarrhea has started, or for topical infections which could be addressed with holistic practices.

Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I would not do a systemic antibiotic for a topical infection.

I'm awed that folks believe that whatever broad spectrum antibiotic was prescribed is perceived to be the "correct" medication and panacea. We are unable to be all knowing, including MDs. And the belief that physicians are all knowing, is dangerous, imo.

Assuming wound has bacteria A, and if antibiotic for bacteria B is prescribed, wound is no better or worse for having not taken the antibiotic. Only if antibiotic B was indicated, is is useful. I would want a more complete diagnosis before taking an antibiotic which could be *unnecessary* and *harmful*.

I'd apply coconut oil and/or lavender essential oil, which both help kill staph, even MRSA.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...ubmed_RVDocSum
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...microbial.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16048923

Epsom salt soaks will help with healing also.

I have a few dead horses which I choose to beat. The MYTH and FEAR associated with discontinuing UNNECESSARY antibiotics, in the event of improperly prescribed (viral illness), or excessive diarrhea (antibiotic induced diarrhea-which could be dangerous C. difficile overgrowth), is one of them. There is no "rule" or "obligation" to continue an UNNECESSARY antibiotic "once started". That just *further* sensitizes bacteria to the antibiotic, INCREASING the risk of developing antibiotic-resistant bacteria in your child, or in your own gut.

I fully support consulting or notifying the prescribing physician to discuss follow-up, if antibiotics are started and need to be discontinued.

However, it is NOT "harmless", and is potentially dangerous, to continue the same antibiotics with no documented infection. I would not continue the antibiotic blindly due to some perceived "obligation".

The healthy body can recover from bacterial and viral illnesses, without antibiotics.

Unnecessary antibiotics ARE dangerous! Antibiotics damage the integrity of the microbial balance in the gut.
The healthy gut microflora is 70-80% of the immune system. Impaired immune systems are less effective at healing the body.

Question antibiotics.
Do not continue them blindly.

Please see the links about developing antibiotic resistance in post #141. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...&postcount=141

Only way I'd consider antibiotics is for an infection with a culture and sensitivity. C&S do take time. Unfortunately, there ARE antibiotic-resistant bacteria, precisely BECAUSE of over-prescribing of unnecessary broad-spectrum antibiotics, by MDs. I would not treat with antibiotics as the first alternative, BECAUSE I don't want to be feeding antibiotics to bacteria unnecessarily and CAUSING the bacteria to become antibiotic-resistant, in my child or myself.

I'm not "against" antibiotics. I am a advocate of optimizing our immune system, preferably with natural microbial balance in the gut, nutrient dense whole foods (especially cultured and fermented probiotics), and natural exposure to common diseases, and avoidance of unnecessary chemicals including pharmaceuticals for those common illnesses. I believe we can avoid and treat most diseases with nutrition and holistic health practices. Unfortunately, most people are not informed and healthy enough to choose a non-mainstream alternative. There is a cascade of side-effects and consequences of our mainstream health choices, ime.

I do NOT AGREE that "once one starts antibiotics, that one must finish antibiotic" IN THE EVENT of them being *unnecessary in the first place*, like with an ear infection in a child over age 2, or after antibiotic-induced diarrhea has started, or for topical infections which could be addressed with holistic practices.

Pat

Very well said Pat!

Kelly - wife to the best DH and : Mama to 6 younguns
#11 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Pat, thanks so much for that thorough response! I called the doctor and he said that absolutely a person should not discontinue antibiotics unless they are replacing it with a suitable alternative. From what I've been reading it seems that ionic silver disrupts cell membrane function in bacteria and other single-celled organisms, denaturing enzyme function. It is a wider spectrum antibiotic than cephalexin, which would make it more effective.

Also, on the CDC's website there is an article that states that most MRSA infections will clear up with or without antibiotics in healthy people.

Off to the store...
#12 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 PM

I know a couple ppl who swear by manuka honey for mrsa.
Google "manuka honey" + staph
There's something in it that kills staph. A friend of ours got rid of staph using nothing but the manuka honey.
Good luck!
#13 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 PM

OP, remember that the silver you are giving him has the same impact on the body in terms of killing off good bacteria and leaving him susceptible to overgrowths of things like c. diff.

You need a good probiotic and give it three hours after each dose of silver.
I hope he responds quickly for you!

#14 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have a high-dose probiotic that I will be giving to him within the next hour or two.

I also made a cabbage/slippery elm/neem poultice (blended the cabbage and added the powdered herbs) which I applied to his arm. Also doused it in lavender EO. The poultice helps some with cooling the intense itch. The lavender does too, and also the everpresent lavender scent is calming my deeply frazzled nerves.

I hope he responds quickly as well.
#15 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 PM

I agree with Pat here.

our experience --

We treated DS's staph-infected eczema aggressively, but topically only. It responded well. You don't necessarily need something internal. We would have done an internal only if it had not responded to the topical treatment.

(And hugs to you for your DH's reaction. Mine would have responded the same way, if not moreso.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#16 of 35 Old 07-07-2009, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

ASusan, thanks so much! What did you use?

When DH came home from work he asked me, "Do you REALLY believe that the silver will work?" I said, "Yes, I do." He said, "Okay."

And DM asked me, "IF the silver doesn't work, will you consider abx?"
"Of course," I said.

Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Also, part of the treatment is cutting out common allergy foods, like dairy, gluten, eggs, etc. I'm a Taurus so I love comfort foods. Guess I need to go over to the Nutrition boards to do some whining about how hard it will be to cut out those foods!
#17 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
ASusan, thanks so much! What did you use?

When DH came home from work he asked me, "Do you REALLY believe that the silver will work?" I said, "Yes, I do." He said, "Okay."
Err, we used OTC antibiotic cream : Polysporin or similar. And cleaning everything with hot water, bleach for the initial scrubbing of the tub. Using antibiotic hand wash (had to go out and buy it, as we don't generally use it), Dial soap on the adults so we didn't spread it. We may have used Dial on DS once or twice, too. We were very, very good about hygiene for a week or so.

DH would not have agreed to something 'natural.' I managed to get him to agree to treat it topically by getting the nurse practitioner to agree that that would be the best route. And that we would do an internal antibiotic if it didn't respond. We (I) also used "medieval mix" or "thieves oil" on the advice of the nurse practitioner. (see, if I had read about it online, it wouldn't have met with DH's approval. But, I could in all honesty say that the NP suggested it, and it was ok. DH is BIG believer in Western med. It did save his life on two occasions, but it is also one of the biggest rifts in our marriage right now.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#18 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

The redness and heat would just not back down all day, but then I put the cabbage/slippery elm/neem paste on and that really took it down several levels. I had only put the poultice on the upper part of the redness (where the centralized spot was) and when I removed the cloth after having left the poultice on for over an hour, the area where the poultice had been was visibly lighter in color and cooler than the lower part of the redness which had no poultice! I showed DH and DM who confirmed that it was cooler to the touch. About an hour after the poultice had been taken off the whole arm was cooler. Wow! I do not think that it was *just* the poultice that did the job, but the one-two punch of the various therapies. Of course, we still have to wait and see how it looks in the morning. Just to be safe I applied more poultice before he goes to bed. Before I applied the poultice I first coated the area with lavender EO, neat. I am kind of second guessing applying it neat though because I *did* notice a bit of "pinking up" after applying the EO. (Although the famous story of the guy that discovered lavender EO's healing properties says that he immersed his burned hand in a vat of the stuff and experienced immediate relief and visible healing.)

I will let you know how it looks in the morning, but so far I think we are on the road to recovery! I feel really good after seeing how he responded to the poultice.
#19 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 AM

We always treat DD's MRSA with bactroban (antibiotic) cream. None of the natural remedies we tried worked, including the honey.

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#20 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 05:06 AM

I dislike pharmaceutical companies and I dislike the idea of taking antibiotics unnecessarily (so far DS has never had to have one) but personally, I'd be more afraid of the silver than cephalexin. Cephalosporin are probably one of the safer antibiotics. Why is silver more 'natural' or safer? Cephalosporin compounds were first isolated from sewers; how much more natural is that? What evidence exists that a cephalosporin is more risky than silver or vice versa? Who regulates the recommended silver formulations to ensure proper silver content? (There have been reports of inconsistent formulations.) What are the possible side effects of both options, particularly in children? These are the questions I would ask myself.

Also, this may be a little off-topic but I would be cautious with lavender, particularly on boys. I highly suspect it is an endocrine disruptor. Lavender may work in ways similar to the hormone oestrogen. It has been suspected of inducing breast growth in a few pre-pubescent boys whose mothers were using topical applications containing lavender oil. (Their breasts returned to normal after stopping the applications.) This is probably more of side-effect of long-term use but I'd still be cautious. There was lavender in my dishwasher soap while I suffered infertility. Was it a contributing factor? Who knows.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#21 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 11:52 AM

I too have concerns about ingesting silver, especially due to the difficulty in creating a safe product. Topical silver gel, I'm comfortable.

However, the myth associated with the lavender and boys was dispelled, per my understanding.

Apparently, the OTHER ingredients in the lavender-scented soap and skin lotions, or shampoos or styling products were not considered as possible sources of endocrine disruptor. Denver endocrinologist Clifford Bloch hypothesized the link after three boys presented with enlarged breasts.
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

However, the conclusion that the gynecomastia was actually caused by the essential oils in the products used by the three boys are currently being disputed by the Natural Artisan Perfumers Guild and Cropwatch on the claimed basis of insufficient evidence.

I use lavender essential oil for skin abrasions, cuts, and scrapes on our son.

Pat

I have a blog.
#22 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 12:30 PM

And if there were a potential problem with lavendar oil, I would think it would result from long-term use/exposure, rather than using it to treat an acute infection.

OP - glad to read that your son's staph responded to your poultice!

#23 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

The silver hydrosol that DS is taking is called Argentyn 23. Apparently it is the only silver hydrosol available by prescription. I found a document that lists FDA-approved silver products, which lists this product (even though it is not actually FDA approved, it is of the same standard as those that are.)

I am reluctant to list the website of the company that makes the product as a source (only b/c it wd be biased), but there is some interesting information there regarding safety.

This morning the arm is visibly lighter in color, but still warm and firm, but not *as* warm.
#24 of 35 Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amylcd View Post
We always treat DD's MRSA with bactroban (antibiotic) cream. None of the natural remedies we tried worked, including the honey.
A OTC cream like polysporin won't kill staph/MRSA but bactroban will. I'm surprised the doctor didn't give it along with the prescription. I'm glad he's responding to your treatment!!

#25 of 35 Old 07-09-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
However, the myth associated with the lavender and boys was dispelled, per my understanding.
I'm not sure why a study published in the NEJM would be considered a myth, nor am I sure who properly dispelled it. The study was an observation of three cases of breast growth in pre-pubescent boys that resolved upon the discontinuation of the lavender containing products. These observations led the researchers to test the oils on human cells which resulted in estrogenic activity.

Quote:
Apparently, the OTHER ingredients in the lavender-scented soap and skin lotions, or shampoos or styling products were not considered as possible sources of endocrine disruptor. Denver endocrinologist Clifford Bloch hypothesized the link after three boys presented with enlarged breasts.
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm
That is correct. Seeing three boys with pre-pubescent breast growth in boys was significant enough to give pause given the unusual nature of the condition. Careful observations such as these are often what lead us to do more research on a subject. Sometimes they go nowhere but often they are only the tip of the iceberg.

Quote:
However, the conclusion that the gynecomastia was actually caused by the essential oils in the products used by the three boys are currently being disputed by the Natural Artisan Perfumers Guild and Cropwatch on the claimed basis of insufficient evidence.
This appears to be a reference still awaiting citation in the Wikipedia entry on this subject. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavender_oil. I don't know anything about the Natural Artisan Perfumers Guild or Cropwatch, what their authority or interest is. Nor do I know what scientific evidence they have, if any, for disputing this information. The Wikipedia entry, if trustworthy, also states:

Quote:
"Subsequently, Derek Henley and Kenneth Korach of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences in Research Triangle Park, N.C., discovered in lavender and tea tree oil the presence of compounds which both suppress male hormones and mimic female hormones.

Because sex hormone levels are normally low prior to puberty, young boys and girls are particularly sensitive to estrogenic and androgenic compounds. The discovery of the gynecomastia link in boys has led some researchers to suspect lavender and tea tree oils, which are present in various personal care products including shampoos and lotions, may also contribute to the increased incidence of early breast development in girls.

Discontinuation of use of these products resulted in rapid reversal of gynecomastia in Bloch’s young patients."
I was alerted to the issue with lavender oil when I read the original study in the NEJM in 2007. I also read the subsequent 'Letters to the Editor.' I still believe the evidence is compelling enough to warrant concern. Children are hitting puberty earlier - could it be due to to our increased use of endocrine disruptors? As a sufferer of IGT, I think I was likely was exposed to endocrine disruptors before or during puberty; we need to pay close attention to all possible culprits. There are plenty of people who believe BPA is safe - it doesn't mean it is. Impartiality is key. We should be wary of all observed correlations between various substances and our endocrine system, whether they relate easily disliked synthetic plastics or more easily liked natural topical applications.

Quote:
I use lavender essential oil for skin abrasions, cuts, and scrapes on our son.
I think that minor cuts, abrasions, etc. are generally best left alone to heal unless signs of infection develop. Personally, I am as skeptical of using 'natural' products unnecessarily as I am of using antibiotics. Studies have shown that lavender oil may be a good candidate for antibacterial products. I wouldn't use an antibacterial soap whether it contained triclosan or lavender.

#26 of 35 Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
And if there were a potential problem with lavendar oil, I would think it would result from long-term use/exposure, rather than using it to treat an acute infection.
I agree. However, in my opinion concern is still warranted. When we find something 'natural' that we like, we often tend to begin to overuse it as preventative medicine under the 'natural' and 'safe' guise.

#27 of 35 Old 07-09-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
This morning the arm is visibly lighter in color, but still warm and firm, but not *as* warm.
I'm glad it is looking better! On an upper arm, I know it might be difficult, but did you do salt water soaks? I've had amazing results with those.

#28 of 35 Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I really *wanted* to do epsom salt soaks, but I just couldn't figure out the logistics of it--other than laying all the way down in a bath full of salt water or wrapping soaked cloths around it-- neither of which seemed would work very well, especially since the source of the infection was only an inch or two below his shoulder.

I say "was" because it's gone! This morning there is just a hint of warmth on the area closest to his elbow (the last tissue area to be damaged). The upper arm is completely normal looking except for a little bit of exfoliation--it looks like a little tinea tried to take advantage of the situation, but it only got a little bigger than a pencil eraser. The tissue is soft and supple and cool and same color as the rest of his skin.

I wouldn't have believed that this was possible unless I saw it with my own eyes! I had a staph infection on my leg a few years ago that I tried to treat on my own with honey (commercial grade-WRONG!) and maybe Vit C and just "thinking well". JOKE! That thing just kept spreading on my leg over almost a week until I got some antibiotics. And even then, the first antibiotic didn't work, so we had to switch to another one that I was allergic to, but took Claritin to combat the allergic reaction!

I am so proud of my son for healing so well! My mom and DH joke, "Oh, maybe it was the three doses of cephalexin he took." Yeah, sure! Today is Day Four since I noticed it (but I think he got poked or bit on Sunday) and it is for all intents and purposes gone! We are going back to the doc this morn for a follow up. I will be beaming!
#29 of 35 Old 07-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Just add the Epsom salts to bath water. That will help with detoxing. Don't have to have the body part in the soak for benefits. Max benefits with direct soaking, though.

Oh, and check out The Master Tonic for systemic issues.

serenitii, I love your research and analysis.

Pat

I have a blog.
#30 of 35 Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM

I have friends that love silver and use it often to combat infections with great results. With that said, I've never used it. I'm afraid my skin will turn silver! Have you tried any essential oils for topical treatments? There are great things being said about a few. Here are some links to support the idea that they work:

Essential oils 'combat superbug'

The effect of essential oils on methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus using a dressing model.

Oregano Oil May Protect Against Drug-Resistant Bacteria, Georgetown Researcher Finds

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page