Geniculate Neuralgia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever heard of it or suffered from it? For years, off and on I have had a horrible, almost violent sharp pain in my ear (varies from ear-to-ear) with that side of my scalp being incredibly sensitive. I mean, my hair hurts even. I always thought it meant I was getting a cold. It started again yesterday in my right ear so I thought I would poke around the Internet this morning and geniculate neuralgia is what I found. Describes it to a "T" for me. Problem is, all the sites I saw recommended heavy-duty meds, MRI's or even surgery!! Yikes. Anyone dealing with it and have any helpful home remedies? Right now I have a cotton ball in my ear and that's it. I am probably going to take some Tylenol too.

The sea monkey has my money.

#2 of 2 Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have that particularly but I do have neuralgia in several different areas--including rare/uncommon ones like my tongue and jaw and eyes--so I sympathize. I know it is horrible pain. In my case I have nerve inflammation that may be aggravated at least by some deficiencies--notably vitamin D and coq10. Treating those had helped until recently so I don't know if it was coincidental or not. I would consider being tested for deficiencies in any vitamins or minerals that affect nerve function even though I know it's not listed for your specific condition (it's not for mine either). B12 is another and folic acid and B6 were tested for me too among other things.

I recently spoke with a geneticist who recommended I see a new neurologist who specializes in nerve conditions as he said they may be able to help. I'm not hopeful. The last neuro wasn't helpful. They did an MRI which is important if it's possible your pain is related to MS or tumors or the like (which I know isn't listed for your condition).

Oh, for certain nerves I have had some cortisone injections to reduce the swelling. I also find hot and cold soaks can reduce nerve inflammation and solid sleep helps me. None of this may apply to you I know. I just really sympathize.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page