Too late for stitches? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-22-2002, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds (almost 2) fell against the window sill last night and got a big gash above his eyebrow. It didn't bleed too badly and once he calmed down he fell asleep (it was late at night) so we decided not to take him to the er. Looking at it today though I wonder if we should have taken him in to get stitches. He seems to have split open the skin above his eyebrow and I'm afraid that he's going to have a nasty 1/4" scar down the middle of his eyebrow for the rest of his life. We tried to put butterfly band-aids on it to close up the wound, but since it's right above his eye these really upset him and he just pulled them off. Should I take him to the doc tomorrow? Is there anything they can do a day and a half later? My dh says he thinks it's too late for stitches. Does anyone know if that's the case? If it is too late is there anything else I can do?

My poor little boy

LMK
#2 of 6 Old 04-22-2002, 10:05 AM

GO NOW!!!! It may be too late (if it's now 36 hours....) I have had stiches at 24 hours. They might still be able to use the skin glue stuff, I don't know. At the very least call. They may suggest some wound care and scar minimizing.
#3 of 6 Old 04-22-2002, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! You motivated me to call the doctor. He said it's way to late for stitches, but he might be able to glue/tape it together a bit so it will heal better. I'm bringing him in this afternoon.

I'll let you know what happens.

LMK
#4 of 6 Old 04-22-2002, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's is too late for stitches and the doc kind of made me feel like a dummy for not bringing him in two days ago when it happened. My dh and I just though that since it stopped bleeding fairly easily that he didn't need stitches, but we weren't thinking about what kind of a scar it would leave at the time.

Anyway, the doc gave me these steri-strips (kind of like tape) to close the wound and he said these might help it to heal better.

Cross you fingers for my little boober.
#5 of 6 Old 04-22-2002, 06:24 PM

how about that scar-reducing membrane stuff? It;s expensive but it's supposed to work better than vit E...what's your doc think? That's for after the initial healing is done though...
#6 of 6 Old 04-22-2002, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

? Hmmmm I haven't heard about it. Is this something the doc would have to give me or can I get it otc?

I'm not sure it would help though b/c the problem is he sort of split open the skin right through his eyebrow so if the skin doesn't heal joined together he'll have a place where there is no hair through his eyebrow even if there is no scar. I guess he'll just have that Vanilla Ice eyebrow look :

LMK

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page