three year old's crown fell out - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-27-2004, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My almost 3 1/2 year old son's front crown fell out today. He had dental surgery a year ago in November. This past week he bumped his front teeth on the banister. It seemed loose so we did soft foods for a couple days and today it came out. This cap was on a tooth that had no problems, it was just there for aesthetic reasons (to match the other front teeth). I'm looking for any and all suggestions. We are now without insurance and I'm unemployed. Hubby is in law school so money is real tight. The tooth doesn't seem to be bothering him (he of course asked if the tooth fairy was going to come for the cap) other than a difference in size that makes talking a little more interesting. The dentist that did the work was awful. She said we'd be back in in 6 months if I didn't wean. Just not somebody I want to go back to and she was hard to find. Anyway, son weaned on his own this past July. Please send me any thoughts you might have. Thanks.
#2 of 3 Old 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM

Well, It would just require cementing back on. HOWEVER, since he bumped his teeth, it is really important to watch those teeth in case they start to turn color, so I wouldn't cap it again.
I would find another dentist. Doesn't need to be a ped dentist. And have a check up with x-rays to make sure everything is ok in the gum area.
Do you qualify for state insurance? If not, they may let you do payments for a checkup which isn't too expensive....my 2 cents...
#3 of 3 Old 01-27-2004, 06:34 PM

o dang, that's just what you and ds didn't need, eh?

What seemed loose? The tooth or the crown? If it was the tooth, you'd indeed have to wait a while, because the impact may have loosened it too much to hold the crown.
Was the tooth drilled down for the crown? If not, you can just wait. If it was shortened, the enamel is gone from the drilled part, and then you'd have to have the crown reattached. If you do this pretty quickly, it should just need cement.
Anyhow, may I ask how severe the esthetic reasons to use the crown were in the first place? Can he go without for any length of time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page