Pain/tenderness on back of head near bottom of skull - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the right side to be exact. It's wierd. Not horrible pain, but a little dull pain/tenderness. I did a google search and found a forum where someone asked about the exact same thing and several people responded that they were experiencing it too, but no one gave an answer as to what it might be.

It's not an injury, as far as I know. I just woke up with it and it's been bothering me all day. Any ideas?

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)
#2 of 24 Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 PM

I get that occasionally, a little sore spot about the size of a penny. I always assumed it was a lymph node or some kind of immune system thing, since it always went away on its own.
#3 of 24 Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
EVC

Hmmmm....That's possible I suppose. I was just hoping that it wasn't anything serious that I should call the doctor about. It's not getting any worse, which I guess is a good sign, but it hasn't gone away either.

#4 of 24 Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 PM

My guess is a lymph node or tensed muscle.
Happens to me once every few months.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#5 of 24 Old 07-16-2009, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If it's right at the base of your skull, it's probably a trigger point. I get this *a lot*. I recently realized that while pushing my jogger, it veers to the left, so I push on the right side of the handle bar to straighten it out. I made the connection between this repetitive movement & the strained muscle.

My chiro fixes it up but it hurts like hell! Seriously, it brings tears to my eyes. Afterwards, he tells me to go home & ice it. So I lay on the couch with an ice pack under the base of my skull. This helps immensely.

To fix the trigger point, you need to find the area. Once you push on that area with two fingers, the pain should intensify. Push on it for a good 20 seconds. This blocks the blood flow. once you release your fingers, the blood pumps back in quickly. This surge of blood will also help with the trigger point.

Get yourself to the chiro & use the ice pack!
Sin Ix likes this.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 24 Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
EVC

Interesting....It still hurts today, but it is a relief o know that it probably isn't anything serious (of course, my first thought are always tumor or something like that )

#7 of 24 Old 07-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
If it's right at the base of your skull, it's probably a trigger point. I get this *a lot*. I recently realized that while pushing my jogger, it veers to the left, so I push on the right side of the handle bar to straighten it out. I made the connection between this repetitive movement & the strained muscle.

My chiro fixes it up but it hurts like hell! Seriously, it brings tears to my eyes. Afterwards, he tells me to go home & ice it. So I lay on the couch with an ice pack under the base of my skull. This helps immensely.

To fix the trigger point, you need to find the area. Once you push on that area with two fingers, the pain should intensify. Push on it for a good 20 seconds. This blocks the blood flow. once you release your fingers, the blood pumps back in quickly. This surge of blood will also help with the trigger point.

Get yourself to the chiro & use the ice pack!

This TOTALLY makes sense to me. I have pushed on the spot, and intensified the pain, and it did help. And I can see how chiropractic adjustment would help.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#8 of 24 Old 07-16-2009, 08:08 PM

There is a specific nerve ending right there. Actually there are 2 nerves in the head. Both are on the right side. One is higher up in the middle of the back of the skull and one at the base.

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#9 of 24 Old 07-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVC View Post
On the right side to be exact. It's wierd. Not horrible pain, but a little dull pain/tenderness. I did a google search and found a forum where someone asked about the exact same thing and several people responded that they were experiencing it too, but no one gave an answer as to what it might be.

It's not an injury, as far as I know. I just woke up with it and it's been bothering me all day. Any ideas?
When I worked and first was BF DD I got that a lot too. My chiro fixed me right up! If I stopped seeing her it usually returned.
#10 of 24 Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Lymph nodes. I get them all the freaking time. Yes, they'll go away on their own, but not without annoying you first...

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#11 of 24 Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I went to my chiro yesterday & he could feel the trigger points. There was a subluxation on the right side of the base of my skull & the most painful trigger point was on the left side of the base of my skull. When he pressed on it, it shot up to the crown of my head, just to the right.

Chiropractic can fix this!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#12 of 24 Old 10-04-2011, 04:38 PM

It could be a sinus infection.  There is a tube that drains your sinuses right there on each side.  I am experiencing it right now and I put a heating pad with a baseball underneath and it brings some relief and I can feel my sinuses drain when I move around on it.  We probably both need to go to the doctor.

#13 of 24 Old 12-28-2011, 05:22 PM

I also get this several times a year.  If it doesn't go away within a week, I know I have a sinus infection.  Went to the Dr. yesterday with this pain and sure enough, another sinus infection.  After about a week of antibiotics, I will be good as new.

#14 of 24 Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 AM

Ive had this problem for a week and became very concerned like you. Only my pain and tenderness was just above my right ear and closer to the back right corner of my head. Then a I was Layin in bed on my back, I was feeling my head and felt a bump on my pillow. It is the kind that is like a bean bag chair, and I sleep on my right side and found out the zipper has been pressed giants the same spot on my head every time. Relieved I am. But it is always best to consult a doctor about any concerns. Have a great day and god bless

#15 of 24 Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM

Ive had this pain for about a month, but afraid to go to dr. since i have no ins. have any idea what and why its caused.

#16 of 24 Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 AM

I too have that trigger pain .Mine can be blinding at times .I found out i have 3 bulging disks in my neck C3 -C4 C4-C5 C5 -C6 that push on the spinail cord causing pinched nerves. I will be getting botox for the pain and a cervical epidoral at a later date ....

#17 of 24 Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 PM

I have regular massages for back pain and have been told tender points at the base of ur skull on the right side is due to dehydration.

#18 of 24 Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM

I wish I could post a picture on here of the area I THINK you are talking about. Because if it is. I get this every now and then and I get paranoid that maybe it's a tumor also.... have you ever gone to the dr for this?

I would have random pains in my head that was totally different than a headache....i knew it wasn't a headache so I got an MRI done on my head and they couldn't find anything....

#19 of 24 Old 12-01-2012, 01:13 PM

I don't know if this is what you're referring to, but, I've learned from my wellness practitioner that certain pains in the back of the head can be linked to a high fat diet, and other forms of stress.  That was the case with me.  I went on a weekly regime that included change in diet, and other wellness recommendations she gave me.  It worked.  Have not had the pain since.

#20 of 24 Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 AM

me too.i am 9 yrs but i dnt know why it is happening to me. any awnsers....................

#21 of 24 Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Very helpful. Thanks

#22 of 24 Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM

Here is a video that may help. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnEMEH9N2mg

#23 of 24 Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 PM

I had the same pain for months so I went to my doc. I was worried I had a tumor or some clot. They did a cat scan and it turned out I had sinusitis. Antibiotics help but now its back today. It comes and goes but the pain is so intense at times but at least its nothing seriousuhoh3.gif 

#24 of 24 Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 AM

I have this problem for years... being in the neurologist, and gave me ct scan and found nothing...one thing is for sure, every time i have this tender spot in the back of my head it is follow later by a migraine! so i take "maxalt", and the migraine goes away.  I start trying to take every day "calcium/magnesium/zinc", which u can get it in any pharmacy or supplement store.  I do think it is related to first:  how much stress you get, second: to our hormones; (this pain usually appears during my period days).  Sorry to tell u that for me, doctors have done nothing about it, but to just help me to stop the pain become a migraine...

Tags
Health Healing , Health , Healthy Living , Lymph Node

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page