deer tick bite - tick engorged, now what? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could kick myself - we pulled a deer tick out of my nearly-3 yr old son this morning. It is engorged with blood, intact and still alive in a jar at the moment.
I'm not sure, but I think I saw it yesterday, but thought it was a speck of dirt - so it could have been on my son for over 24 hours. I called ds's doctor this morning, but he is booked today and so I left a voice mail. I gave ds ledum homeopathic remedy 30c after cleaning his scalp with tea tree oil. So what are the chances he is infected with Lymes? We get a lot of deer in our yard here in Northern CA - this is ds's second deer tick bite, the first was about a month ago & the tick came out easily, was not engorged, left no mark, so I didn't worry. This time, I'm not so confident. We're supposed to leave town tonight for a vacation, argh! I know someone with a severe case of Lymes - it has wrecked his life, so I get pretty anxious about ticks.

Alexa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 04:07 PM

It was probably on for 24 hours or more if it was engorged. Hopefully, the doctor calls back soon. I would want to treat it with antibiotics. Maybe they will just call something in without having to actually see your son.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:16 PM

i would try to nudge your way into the doc today, if at all possible, for no reason other than to calm your nerves so you can enjoy your vacation. is there another doctor you can see? if you spoke with the receptionist, make sure he/she knows that your son has an engorged tick and exaggerate the amount of time it was attached if need be.

we dealt with tick bites a couple of weeks ago, and from our experience, there are two thought camps: treat with antibiotics at the first sign of engorgement, or wait it out and treat with antibiotics only if there is a fever or rash. if your son was older, he could take a one dose treatment of doxycycline, but because he is three, he would need a longer course of amoxicillin (can't remember if it's 10 or 20 days). we personally decided to wait it out for our three yr old, but his tick was only attached for 12 hrs or so. i also had a tick, probably on for 72 hrs, and it was engorged, but both doctors i spoke with said to wait it out as well. i actually didn't agree with this, but it turned out i got strep throat and was put on antibiotics anyways.

lyme disease is SCARY! if the tick had been on my son for 24+ hours, i probably would've demanded the antibiotics. i'll have to look up again the percentage that come down with flu-like symptoms, but it's not 100%, and only 80% get the rash. then again, after a tick bite, there's only a 2-3% chance of coming down with lyme (in a high risk area) but i don't know if i buy that, either. it's a conundrum, for sure. good luck!

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Yikes, hope he is ok

User Tag List