white birthmarks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't find any info on white colored birthmarks what so ever! Does anyone know what birthmarks that are very fair, to white colored are called specifically? Small, roundish, flat, smooth, white marks.

I know smooth, flat, tan colored spots are caused by a buildup of pigmentation so I assume white spots are casued by a lack of pigmentation...? Anyway, dd has 2 of these in addition to her tan colored birthmark and I'm unable to find any info about them.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
#2 of 14 Old 07-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Are you sure it isn't tinea versicolor?

It isn't usually that visible on white children until the summer. The fungus bleaches the pigmentation, and the sun further darkens the skin, but not the fungally-affected spots.

DS is mixed white and AA, which makes the tinea versicolor even all that much more visible. In addition, he possibly has ring-worm - ugh - he's a walking fungus factory, and his belly and calves are covered in white spots. We recently added "spots" to his growing vocabulary, as in, "It's time to put lotion on your spots!"

ETS - none of the first 4 pages of images of ringworm or tinea versicolor in Google images look anything like what my son has. They all are the most gory, worst-case images I have seen. I hope someone here can perhaps post a picture.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 14 Old 07-16-2009, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASusan View Post
Are you sure it isn't tinea versicolor?
I'll have to do a search on that. Her white spots (she has 2 of them) feel just the same as the rest of her skin, smooth and flat with no dryness or redness. One appeared sometime in the first year and is the same size now (a bit smaller than a dime) and the other just recently appeared on her upper thigh (same size and general shape). Neither are perfectly round, but circular-ish. The edge are a bit jagged and the shape slightly elongated however. There is no variation of color or tone within them, bumps, roughness, or ickiness of any kind within them either.

If it makes a difference dd is 1/4 mexican, 1/8 native american, and the rest is white (mostly english). She isn't overly dark without a tan (pretty much looks like a white kid 3/4 of the year) but her spots were white enough to be visible before her summer tan.

ETA: just did a search and the first 182 pics that came up did not look like what dd has. So I don't think thats probable at this point.

#4 of 14 Old 07-18-2009, 02:49 PM

One of my kids has a white "birthmark" on his thigh that showed up when he was a few months old. I thought it was odd as well.
#5 of 14 Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 AM

My dd has a white birth-mark spot on her ribcage. It's been there since she was a baby and she's nine, now. It's always the same shape and in the same spot so I don't think it's a fungus.
I've noticed that eczema patches don't tan, either. My friend's kid would have huge white patches on his legs from eczema even though the acutal eczema didn't show.

Laura
Mom to three
#6 of 14 Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 AM

Yeah we get that in my family as well.

My sister's is probably the most noticable, she has a large one on her back.

She has had people try to tell her it is dry skin but it doesn't go away with regular moisturizing.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#7 of 14 Old 07-19-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

good to know there are others with white marks that don't seem to be likely caused by a skin condition.

#8 of 14 Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 PM

Saw this on the main page. My youngest son (age 18 months) has had a white birthmark on the front/side of his head/scalp since birth. We call it his patch. It's in a pretty noticeable spot near the front and is about maybe 3 x 3 inches. His hair on it is white. The rest of his hair is brown. It should look pretty interesting once his hair grows in a bit more! My friends and I kid that all the other kids in school will want a patch of white hair too!

A happy woman
#9 of 14 Old 07-19-2009, 02:48 PM

my brother has one on his head that grows white hair. ds has one on the back of his neck. i just call it a "blank." its just a different kind of birthmark
#10 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
I'll have to do a search on that. Her white spots (she has 2 of them) feel just the same as the rest of her skin, smooth and flat with no dryness or redness. One appeared sometime in the first year and is the same size now (a bit smaller than a dime) and the other just recently appeared on her upper thigh (same size and general shape). Neither are perfectly round, but circular-ish. The edge are a bit jagged and the shape slightly elongated however. There is no variation of color or tone within them, bumps, roughness, or ickiness of any kind within them either.

If it makes a difference dd is 1/4 mexican, 1/8 native american, and the rest is white (mostly english). She isn't overly dark without a tan (pretty much looks like a white kid 3/4 of the year) but her spots were white enough to be visible before her summer tan.

ETA: just did a search and the first 182 pics that came up did not look like what dd has. So I don't think thats probable at this point.
My 5 year old daughter has a small one on her shoulder. It is more pronounced when she's had sun exposure (tan) she's 1/2 white and 1/2 Mexican, I've seen a lot of Mexicans with similar birthmarks.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#11 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
My 5 year old daughter has a small one on her shoulder. It is more pronounced when she's had sun exposure (tan) she's 1/2 white and 1/2 Mexican, I've seen a lot of Mexicans with similar birthmarks.
dh (1/2 mexican) has one also. Maybe it is a birthmark and there is just no information out there about negative pigmented birthmarks. If it's a typical thing for certain races I do wonder how there is no such mention of them in any serach I've done online reguarding birthmarks. ??

#12 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FondestBianca View Post
dh (1/2 mexican) has one also. Maybe it is a birthmark and there is just no information out there about negative pigmented birthmarks. If it's a typical thing for certain races I do wonder how there is no such mention of them in any serach I've done online reguarding birthmarks. ??
I know, it's strange. I've been trying to google it and haven't come up with anything!

Wait, the only thing I can find is that it is possibly 'nevus depigmentosus' which basically just means a spot with no pigment! It is more common in people of Hispanic and Mediterranean descent.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
K (6): C (8): B (1/13/12) homeschool.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif

#13 of 14 Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 AM

I have a white birthmark as well! It bothers me a lot, its really emberassing. It is located right under my belly button. Is there any way of treating this?
#14 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Hi! I know this is very old, but just in case anyone was still wondering, this is what i know. I have one of these birthmarks on the top of my left breast, it is almost a perfect circle and has no pigment. i went to a dermatologist about it about a year ago, and he told me it was the strangest thing he had ever seen. I have wanted it gone my whole life because 1. it's ugly, and 2. if i wear anything with a low neckline it gets burnt. even in the winter, because it has no pigment it will just turn bright read and sting and peel! it's awful in the summer, because i am constantly slathering it with spf 50 but it doesn't help. the dermatologist told me there is nothing they can really do about it other than a skin graft. Honestly, i am considering it because of the two things i listed above, mostly the later. however he told me that in the mean time i can cover it with a couple band aids if i wear something low cut, and i can use self tanner to cover it a little, however that won't help the burning problem. He also said birthmarks like this are very rare, so feel lucky you have one! haha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page