patch of dry skin - ringworm? apple cider vinegar / coconut oil - fungal infections - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-17-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 21 month old toddler has a small circle of dry skin on his belly thats been there for at least a month. I set up an appt at the dermatologist but its not for another 3 weeks yet.

We are suspecting maybe the fungal infection "ringworm" because its a circle, and he also has a larger area on his thigh that does look like its in the form of a ring, where the center is normal.

A few weeks ago I read that raw apple cider vinegar works to clear up ringworm so I thought it couldn't hurt to try.. since it said to soak for 15 minutes I soaked a cotton ball and held it in place with a bandaid (for naptime- several hours) then the bandaid wouldn't come off lol so it stayed on for 2 or 3 days until it came off finally lol In the meantime, I got the cotton ball out, but where the dry spot was under the bandaid it scabbed up and I wasn't sure if it was cause it DID kill the fungal infection (IF thats what it was) or because it was simply irritated from the vinegar or the skin being wet so long, etc.

So I let all that heal up again and didn't continue with the apple cider vinegar treatment or anything since. Now its back to looking just as it did before.

So my question... I might try the vinegar again, this time, no bandaid, and probably diluting the vinegar and dabbing it on a few times per day. I used it straight last time. But I thought I'd ask if anyone had any success with this or other natural treatments - how often do you apply - what is your method of applying, etc. We're also going to be seen for something else that day, unrelated to this, so even if it clears up totally (which would be nice) we'd still keep the appt. Maybe I'll take a picture of it before I start anything.

Also I read that fungal infections will glow under a black light? We DO have a blacklight in the house (I have to find it!) that I used for a cat years ago when SHE was suspected of having a ringworm infection (she was later found NOT to have ringworm) and I keep forgetting to try that on him, just to see if it glows or not.. anyone try this or have any suggestions about this too?

One more thing, assuming it is still there on day of appt.. will they will simply prescribe a topical anti-fungal cream of some sort? If so, what brand is it, how often do you apply it, I'd like to read more about it online so I know what to expect if this happens. I don't have a problem with a topical IF its necessary but under NO circumstances do I want an oral antibiotics. He reacted terribly to once and it took 4 months for his bowels to get back to normal (and he's still breastfeeding a LOT!)

The small spot on belly is maybe the size of a quarter, the one on his thigh is much bigger maybe about 2" diam.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#2 of 5 Old 07-17-2009, 12:55 PM

It does sound like ringworm , especially with the normal-appearing skin contained within the circle of the ring.

We were dx with ringworm 2 weeks ago. Family doc said Lamisil cream, which is now OTC. You can find it with the athlete's foot stuff. Dr said if it doesn't respond in 2 weeks, we can try an oral antifungal.

TBH, I have done SOME natural stuff, but not enough to actually treat it. DH and I share parenting duties, and DH is not concerned in the least about using natural things. (coconut oil, lavendar oil, ACV, TTO are some things that will treat fungal infections on the skin) In fact, he is suspicious of them. (not suspicious like, "I doubt they will work." suspicious like, "They may do harm..." ugh). I did use a bit of CO, ACV, and TTO - CO after the bath, and ACV or TTO in the bath. Did not think to use ACV directly.

The fungus IS responding to the Lamisil. I would almost rather have him use an oral antifungal, as I suspect some problems with yeast. He also has/had tinea versicolor, which is another fungus. His abdomen is covered with tv spots; his butt and thighs are covered with ringworm spots; his calves have either one or the other, I can't tell. He has brown skin with all these white spots. It's not pretty.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#3 of 5 Old 07-17-2009, 02:51 PM

I had Tinnea Versicolor during pregnancy. I treated it after my baby was 2 months old, by washing the area with Selsun Blue shampoo as if it were a body wash, 1-2 times a week, and rinsing it well.

I have more recently read that the malasezia yeast is supposed to be on our skin, and that if we are having a reaction to it that is only because our bodies are on anti-yeast alert because we are dealing with Candida albicans.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#4 of 5 Old 07-18-2009, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

It's funny both of you mentioning Tinnea Versicolor because I have never had any kind of yeast or fungal problem in my life, but when I was pregnant at 35, I had a discolored spot on the back of my neck, and went to dermatologist, they tested it and said it was Tinnea Versicolor. Gave me some kind of prescription shampoo and said it was safe to take while pregnant, etc. Well I didn't take it immediately, after reading the toxicology at safefetus.com it said something like it hadn't been tested on pregnant ladies, etc... instead I waited the 2 or 3 months whatever, until after baby was born, and then used it, it was topically applied. But I was so busy and tired with the baby I know I didn't use it as often or as long as I should have. I always did wonder whether it totally went away, cause although it lightened up a lot, so did other things, like the linea nigra etc.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#5 of 5 Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I just read where you can use coconut oil on fungal infections (such as ringworm) - both internally and externally. Anyone ever try this with success??

DH hates the smell of vinegar and so I haven't been keen on doing more dabbing of that (still waiting for appt another week yet, but patches seem to be lessening or going away somewhat anyway, maybe the initial application helped?)

http://www.naturalnews.com/z026433_c...isturizer.html

I did not know that coconut oil contained strong antifungal agents!

I think its worth a try but wondering if anyone else has beat me to it- and what were your results?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page