What kind of birth control is best if you have PCOS? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Having a baby is not a good idea for us right now, so I need to get on birth control. I have been on Ortho-Tri-Cyclin before, but it exacerbated my depression. I also had the Mirena, but I couldn't use my menstrual cup (it pulled the first one out) and the near-constant spotting got really annoying.

So what should I get? I want something that won't make me gain weight and won't have a long-lasting effect once I decide to discontinue it. I was thinking about the mini-pill, but I read that it has a lot of spotting. I was reading about a weekly anti-androgen pill that's supposed to be good for PCOS, but I don't know if it's available in the US. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#2 of 8 Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I totally feel you on NOT getting pregnant right now but I'm COMPLETELY against the pill. It's so bad for you. It really messed my hormones up and took me 2 years before I could pregnant with DD. I'm sure you have heard this all before but it's so bad for your body. That's one reason IMO ovarian and cervical cancers are so high.

I have been reading a lot about these
http://www.cyclebeads.com/
Have you read about NFP?
#3 of 8 Old 07-18-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

NFP doesn't work with PCOS. My cervical mucus is all over the place, sometimes it seems fertile and it's not and vice versa. Same with BBT. I understand the risks of the pill (one of the reasons I want the mini-pill if possible) but I definitely need something hormonal.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#4 of 8 Old 07-18-2009, 02:36 PM

Hopefully you can find something safe that works for you.
good luck.
#5 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 AM

I tried the mini pill and had a HORRIBLE expereince with it. I bled constantly and my cycle returned as soon as I got on it (6 weeks pp while EBF). I had to go through a series of ultrasounds to try to find the culprit (ie maybe some remaining placenta), but doc blamed it mini pill. If you do an internet search, there are a ton of people who get pregnant on it (even when taken correctly).

Sorry, I have strong opinions because it was awful. I'll never take any pill again.

What about good old fashoned condoms?

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#6 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baglady View Post
I tried the mini pill and had a HORRIBLE expereince with it. I bled constantly and my cycle returned as soon as I got on it (6 weeks pp while EBF). I had to go through a series of ultrasounds to try to find the culprit (ie maybe some remaining placenta), but doc blamed it mini pill. If you do an internet search, there are a ton of people who get pregnant on it (even when taken correctly).

Sorry, I have strong opinions because it was awful. I'll never take any pill again.

What about good old fashoned condoms?
I will definitely do more reading about the mini pill. I didn't like the Mirena mainly because of the spotting. I'd get it again in a heartbeat if I didn't have that issue. Unfortunately, we can't use condoms. DH is allergic to latex (breaks out and swells) and I'm allergic to polyeurethane (recurring yeast infections). I won't use lambskin because it's against my personal beliefs. So we're left with hormonal.

#7 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM

It is worth looking into. I was on Ortho Tri Cyclene for years with no problem. That was about five years ago. So I guess different things effect different people differently, but there does seem to be a lot of negative info on mini pill.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

Me, DH, and 2 babyboy.gif.
#8 of 8 Old 07-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Ortho tri cyclen just did horrible things to me after I went off. My doctor thinks bcp are bad bad things for pcos.

That said I have a lot of friends with pcos that do really well with Yasmin and Yaz. I don't know enough about them though and plan on using Mirena.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page