thrush in baby, not in mama? plus super itchy diaper rash... help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ds is 10 months (no formula but a little bit of solids) and we've been battling the thrush for over a month now.
he started with little white spots in his mouth and we did gentian violet plus some probiotics. it seemed to work (even at his 9 month checkup the pedi said his mouth looked fine) but then he got a little diaper rash. so the pedi gave me the Rx for nystatin cream and we started that. a couple days later the spots were back in his mouth. so we did the nystatin oral Rx (useless).
meanwhile the rash would seem to get better and then worse again.
i put him in disposables, wipe with vinegar, bathe with salt water, tried mixing the nystatin cream with weleda diaper cream + a&d, tried garlic oil (that was irritating for him), tried calendula ointment with tea tree oil...
we do a little naked time but it's been raining a LOT lately and he itches constantly if he can get to it (which just makes it worse).

now he's on the fluconozole and plain yogurt. white spots are gone but tongue is very coated. rash is SUPER itchy the last couple of days (it's affecting our sleep) and looks the same as it always has. red, slightly raised in some areas, dots in some areas, and a couple spots that look almost like a blister when it's worse.

i have had no symptoms. i tend to get very occasional nipple pain but he tends to pull away from me while nursing sometimes so i attribute it to that. generally pain free tho.
no nipple cracking, or other thrush signs. no vaginal yeast.

also, we did not do any antibiotics or "do" anything to bring this on, it just started out of the blue.

okay, so my questions are ....
do i treat myself even tho there are no symptoms?
what the heck do i do about this rash?? he's miserable!

winner.jpgfamilybed2.gifsewmachine.gifcd.gif Homeschooling, happy, messy-housed mama to my 2 wild boys fencing.gif 10/05 and 9/08, and my sweet little girl babygirl.gif 2/13 and blessed to be married to the best guy for me since 12/96.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 07-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD had a yeast infection and the only thing that worked was directly applying yogurt then putting her diaper on. we used plain horizon yogurt. i also opened acidophilus pills and dabbed a little on her skin but the yogurt absolutely did the trick. gl!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page