'leaking' amalgam = thyroid symptoms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've posted recently about how I'm sure my thyroid is acting up, even though labs don't show anything. I just went to the dentist for a cleaning, but my one filling (amalgam, fromwhen i was 15 or so) has been bugging me a while. Didn't even occur to me that this could be causing my problems. So, dentist said that the filling was starting to break down and 'leaking' - he removed it and replaced it with a composite filling.

Is it possible this leaking filling could be causing symptoms similar to thyroid problems- fatigue, weight gain, headaches, etc.?

thx

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 07-24-2009, 06:46 PM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Mercury leakage can cause all sorts of problems.

But what do you mean by your labs don't show anything? What was your TSH number?

Read this:

http://thyroid.about.com/od/getteste...altshlevel.htm

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 14 Old 07-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#4 of 14 Old 07-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Excreting mercury stresses the nutrients your body needs to make thyroid hormone. We mostly excrete mercury by making glutathione, and glutathione requires zinc and selenium. Zinc, selenium, and iodine are the main minerals our bodies need to actually make thyroid hormone, and supplementing those minerals and some other nutrients can normalize thyroid function. It took me a long period of time to get low on all these minerals (and others, as stresses in the body shift and we try to compensate), but there is definitely linkage between mercury and thyroid function.

I'm not clear on how amalgams leak, other than the daily, expected amount of mercury that comes out of them. I guess if an amalgam is starting to crumble or chip, is leaking how it would be described?

When I was first starting to delve into all this, iaomt.org (an anti-amalgam dental group), the yahoo group frequent-dose-chelation, and Andy Cutler's books were all helpful.
#5 of 14 Old 07-25-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have my labs in front of me, but all the levels were in the range of normal. In addition to the regular amount, the filling I had was starting to break down- I had a metallic taste in my mouth, etc. I recently started taking iodine and a thyroid supplement that has many of the minerals. I was just wondering if now that I've got this filling replaced, if the symptoms will subside sooner- i guess only time will tell.

#6 of 14 Old 07-25-2009, 02:36 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbean91 View Post
I don't have my labs in front of me, but all the levels were in the range of normal. .
Well, that was my question, because what some labs consider "normal" is considered "low" by other labs. That's why I posted a link to read.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 14 Old 07-25-2009, 05:20 AM

I recently tested at 4.37 on my TSH and have read many places women that do not feel good unless they are under 2. My lab said 4.7 was normal I had to fight with my doc to treat my thyroid instead of depression meds. The article above is one I printed and referenced to.
#8 of 14 Old 07-25-2009, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Well, that was my question, because what some labs consider "normal" is considered "low" by other labs. That's why I posted a link to read.
Yeah- sorry I wasn't clear. I did read the link and from what I remember, the lab we used listed up to 3 as the norm and I was in the 2 range. I went back to my doc and requested a trial of meds, b/c the range is so large and even though it's 'normal' it may not be good for me. He's ok with that, but wanted to do a sleep study first to rule out sleep apnea or something like that. This dental filling stuff came up after that, so I'm wondering if by fixing the filling, that will help. So we're exploring lots of things and will hopefully get it figured out soon.

#9 of 14 Old 07-25-2009, 02:35 PM

Are you nursing? Are you chelating? Any yeast/candida issues? Did they use the IOAMT mercury amalgam removal protocol, with ventilation, oxygen, dams, and chelating?

Consider reading the Chelating mamas? thread for more information on safe excretion of mercury exposure from amalgam removal.

The anti-oxidant glutathione is composed of the amino acids glycine, glutamic acid, and cysteine. Foods that increase glutathione levels in the body include cruciferous vegetables (Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kale, bok choy, cress, mustard, horseradish, turnips, rutabagas, kohlrabi), avocados, ripe seeds of green beans, red beets, the herb rosemary, grape seed extract, bilberry extract, curcumin found in turmeric, whey protein powder, and Pycnogenol from pine bark. A food that is particularly high in glutathione precursers is whey made from milk.
http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/longevity.htm

Vitamin C elevates red blood cell glutathione in healthy adults. Fresh fruits and vegetables provide excellent levels of glutathione. Per serving, asparagus, avocadoes, asparagus, squash, okra, cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, spinach, walnuts, garlic, and raw tomatoes have the highest glutathione content compared to other vegetables and are particularly rich dietary sources of glutathione.

The authors of this study concluded "it is not feasible to increase circulating glutathione to a clinically beneficial extent by the oral administrating of a single dose of 3 g of glutathione."
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/D...utathione.html

"Simplified Treatment Approach Based on the Glutathione Depletion- Methylation Cycle Block Pathogenesis Hypothesis for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

The manufacture of glutathione in cells is limited by the levels of its sulphur-containing precursor amino acid, cysteine.

Cysteine - as a free amino acid - is potentially toxic and is spontaneously catabolized or destroyed in the gastrointestinal tract and blood plasma. However, when it is present as a cysteine-cysteine dipeptide, called cystine, it is more stable than cysteine.

Consuming foods rich in sulphur-containing amino acids can help boost glutathione levels. Here are some food sources and dietary supplements that help boost glutathione levels naturally.
Milk thistle, asparagus, whey protein, Indian curry spice, curcumin (turmeric), Brazil nuts.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Food-Sourc...urally&id=1177

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
#10 of 14 Old 07-25-2009, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Are you nursing? Are you chelating? Any yeast/candida issues? Did they use the IOAMT mercury amalgam removal protocol, with ventilation, oxygen, dams, and chelating?

HTH, Pat
Not nursing, not chelating, no yeast issues- no idea about the IOAMT, but there was no additional oxygen or special ventilation, so I doubt that. It was a small filling, there was a suction tube thing and lots of water in my mouth. I was having major stomach pains for several hours after it was done, though.

I will read through the links you posted and increase my intake of the things listed.

Thanks!

#11 of 14 Old 07-27-2009, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjamieof2 View Post
I recently tested at 4.37 on my TSH and have read many places women that do not feel good unless they are under 2. My lab said 4.7 was normal I had to fight with my doc to treat my thyroid instead of depression meds. The article above is one I printed and referenced to.
This is absolutely incorrect and it makes me SO fuming mad that labs are so inaccurate. Coupled with the fact that the TSH test misses subclinical symptoms. See About.com Thyroid section.

Quote:
Changing the Normal Values for the TSH Test:

On November 2002, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists changed the normal TSH values. Previous normal bounds were 0.5 to 5.0, and these were changed to 0.3 to 3.04. The National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry, wants to change them again and says "In the future, the upper limit of the serum TSH reference range will be reduced to 2.5 mIU/L

"A serum TSH result between 0.5 and 2.0 mIU/L is generally considered the therapeutic target for a standard L-T4 (thyroid hormone) replacement dose for primary hypothyroidism."
And just taking T4 is a bunch of b.s. too. Sorry. So irritated today, came across another person who had their goiter surgically removed, do doctors even study the human body and what makes it work or not, wtf.
#12 of 14 Old 07-27-2009, 03:18 AM

Goitrogens such as cruciferous vegetables listed (cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc.) and soy need to be completely avoided (soy) or very well cooked to neutralize goitrogens (veggies) when one has thyroid problems.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...crucifers.html

www.westonaprice.org/soy/darkside.html
#13 of 14 Old 07-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Goitrogens such as cruciferous vegetables listed (cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc.) and soy need to be completely avoided (soy) or very well cooked to neutralize goitrogens (veggies) when one has thyroid problems.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...crucifers.html

www.westonaprice.org/soy/darkside.html

Jane, I learn something new from you every day. Wonder if this is why my hair is falling out faster these past 6 months.

Pat

I have a blog.
#14 of 14 Old 07-27-2009, 05:25 PM

Just a thought - by 'leaky' he may have meant that the filling itself was 'leaking' food/liquids down into the tooth, which could lead to further decay. That's how my dentist describes my old amalgams.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page