12mth old with high lead level, still basically Just BFing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD2 has been diagnosed with a high lead level after a IV blood draw of 17. I had a independent home lead inspector come to the house a few days later and we think we have found the sources of the poisoning. Our trim and doors thought out the house are SUPER high in lead and our radiators are also very high and the are all chipping a bit. So we think she is eating the chips since she eats EVERYTHING off the floor and also just playing in the dust and then putting everything in her mouth. We are starting this weekend to removed the chipping paint safely and luckily it is summer since we can just take the radiators out and deal with them outside of the house.

Basically my question is what can I do to help her bring her lead level down since she basically gets more than I would guess 90% of her calories from me since she is still BFing. I don't want to nor thing it is a good idea to upset her normal course of development to offer calcium and iron rich foods more than I already am and restricting BFing. So what else can I do or can I give her to help until we get this problem remedied? Any ideas? Should I consider the iron supplement and calcium supplements or is just pure BFIng enough? What would you do?

Many tHANKS!
Andrea

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#2 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM

did they check her iron levels when they checked her lead levels? if they were low, i would definitely add iron in some way.. i'm not sure what she's eating but i would think about adding things like lentils, chickpeas, and kale to either her diet or yours (the beans can be finger foods, and you can puree or finely chop kale, and the beans for that matter, and add it to soups, sauces, whatever she's eating, etc.) you could also add more calcium and iron rich foods to your diet so she can get it through your milk.. also think about your vitamin c intake, and hers for that matter.. if her iron was fine then i wouldn't worry about adding iron because you don't want her to get backed up. i would add whole foods to your diet (or hers) before supplements, but that's just my preference.. are you getting another lead test done soon? you can use that as a guide to know if what you're doing is helping or if you need to do more..

good luck!
#3 of 9 Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OP, your consumption of calcium or iron-containing foods, unless you are grossly deficient, won't change the amount in your milk. Most minerals are held fairly steady in breastmilk, barring significant maternal deficiencies.

I second you getting a blood test for yourself, really everyone in the household.

My kids and I have different heavy metal problems (mercury and arsenic) and we use supplements. I think the short- and long-term health and development problems are so significant that I need to work hard to get the metals out. There are a lot of different approaches to something like heavy metal toxicity, it's good to start with basic stuff now and then figure out how much, and what approaches, you feel are appropriate for your situation.

For a mineral supp, we use Perque Bone Guard Forte 20, it's a tablet that I crush in a coffeebean grinder and mix in with a couple tablespoons of juice. I also give the kids bowel tolerance vitamin C (enough to be just less than the amount that causes diarrhea), splitting it into 3 separate doses each day. Helps with lots of toxins and metals. And I'd do the bloodwork (probably iron and ferritin) to see how you are on iron, but also look into guidelines for whether iron supplementation is recommended in cases of lead toxicity regardless of iron level in bloodwork (it could be different than normal circumstances, I don't know).

You should probably also be taking a high-quality multivitamin, you want plenty of B vitamins as well. I use Perque2 Life Guard, it's usually through healthcare providers but it's high-quality (folate instead of folic acid, things like that, good ratios of vitamins and minerals) and I think it's also available at some places online. B vitamins do pass through into breastmilk at higher levels if mom consumes more.
#4 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM

1. Get yourself (and anyone else living there) tested as well. I wonder if the radiators and such are blowing dust in the air. Water is a really common lead source as well.

2. Get her iron levels tested. Include ferritin levels. She may well be anemic/or deficient despite adequate iron because of the lead. They "go together" often. If she is you do supplement. You use ferrous bis-glycinate. Outside of red meat there aren't really good food sources. Contact me if she's anemic or low iron and I'll share what I learned from my son.

3. I'd add in Optizinc. It never hurts to do some extra zinc and studies have indicated that optizinc has a unique ability to chelate lead. http://www.interhealthusa.com/Ingred...-OptiZinc.aspx

4. Research seems to support adequate calcium more as a preventative than reducing existing lead levels. If she's still being exposed I might consider it especially given we don't know your lead level yet. I wouldn't see it as a treatment if we know she's got adequate dietary calcium.

5. Can you guys stay somewhere else until and while the lead is removed? Was your water tested? Does your bathtub contain lead?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 01:38 PM

I'm no lead removal expert, but I believe I recall that removal is more dangerous than sealing the lead in place. It is the inhalation of lead dust which creates more exposures. Perhaps, someone is 'selling' you the lead removal idea? I'd research the alternatives a bit more. Also, I would not live there while it was being done, either way.

ETA: If you've already moved into a house that contains lead paint and are financially unable to have the lead based paint removed, then consider covering the paint as a short-term solution. Consumers can cover lead paint with a sealant and paint over it, but covering lead paint only delays the problem. As the new paint deteriorates, it will mix with the lead paint and cause the same problems as before. If you choose to cover your lead paint, don't sand or scrape old paint away as you prepare your surface for painting, as you may release lead dust into the air. Clean all surfaces carefully with a wet cloth, use adequate ventilation, and protect yourself from inhaling dust by wearing a dust mask or respirator. http://www.lawsuitsearch.com/news/to...azards_sy.aspx

Pat

I have a blog.
#6 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU ALL!!! I only have a few mins right now but I wanted to just get back quickly. We are pretty sure that it is the molding, radiators and doors inside our house are causing the problem. Verses the water or other outside airborne problem (our neighbor just took down a very old house without any sort of protocol to keep in the dust! since my older daughter's level came back at 4. We think the little one is just eating the chipping paint. I am going to go get tested ASAP as well just to be sure that I am not also a source of the problem.

Our current plan is for my husband tomorrow to remove the radiators from the house and a few doors that we really don't need downstairs between the rooms. Then he is going to just wet chip off all the spots that are pealing BADLY and we cannot just paint over. Then my mom and I are going to wet clean the whole house top to bottom (in that order) and then have our rugs professionally cleaned to get any of the lead dust out. (we are hoping to have them removed from the house and have them cleaned versed having it done in the house). In the mean time I am hunting for some really good NO VOC primer that I can use indoors to spot cover any spots that are damaged (any names I should look into?). At a later date we plan to just paint over the lead trim and remove the paint from our door jams where it would continue to rub before we paint. We know to do all the prep while wet so that it does not dust and we will use disposable items to clean with so we don't reinfect the house. Also we are planning on washing all my children's toys. Does that sound like a good plan?

The only concern is that we are tracking the lead into the house from our dirt since we have 5 buildings large and small on our property all in various forms of paint chipping. It could easily be coming in on our shoes and then getting tracked all over. So we plan on instituting a NO shoe rule to stop that from happening. AHHH this is such a big project!

As for our physical health I am going to go back a read again all your wonderful posts, before I bombard you all with a ton more questions! THANKS!
Andrea

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

#7 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 04:35 PM

From what I've read, "The contractors must follow strict guidelines that require them to wear specialized clothing, to seal off unaffected areas, and to clean up carefully after lead paint has been removed. You won't be able to inhabit the house during lead paint removal." Also, specialized ventilation equipment and air cleaning processes. Removing the carpets seems to cause more dust, imo.

Pat

I have a blog.
#8 of 9 Old 07-25-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
From what I've read, "The contractors must follow strict guidelines that require them to wear specialized clothing, to seal off unaffected areas, and to clean up carefully after lead paint has been removed. You won't be able to inhabit the house during lead paint removal." Also, specialized ventilation equipment and air cleaning processes. Removing the carpets seems to cause more dust, imo.

Pat
That is true if you are going to be completely removing lead paint especially by use of a sander. BUT if you are just wet scraping small patches the protocol involves laying down 4mil plastic and spraying the area to be scraped, then carefully scraping off the small area that is pealing while making sure everything is kept wet so no dust is created. Then cleaning up the paint chips with disposable items and then throwing out the whole mess in 6mil plastic bags. As long as you are careful not to track any of the lead chips away from your work area then everything should be contained. It just involves being a smart worker so you keep the mess where you made it.

But on a side note you can do all major removal of lead paint on your own with comerially avaialble materals, fan venilation, proper resperators and protective clothing. It is a big job to do but again totally do able if you follow the protocol to a letter and work smart. My husband and BIL both built boats and much of the same protocol I am finding is involved when creating a new boat since the chemicals used are AWFUL! :

#9 of 9 Old 07-26-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
2. Get her iron levels tested. Include ferritin levels. She may well be anemic/or deficient despite adequate iron because of the lead. They "go together" often. If she is you do supplement. You use ferrous bis-glycinate. Outside of red meat there aren't really good food sources.
I beg to differ here... when I was pregnant I could not tolerate prenatals (because all they offered me were the kinds with iron which I found out rather quickly made me ill) so I skipped taking the prenatals (took b complex vit. and few others instead) and made sure I was eating foods high in iron, such as blackstrap molasses and soups like black bean soup (as I recall, eating one can of progresso black bean soup, had something like at least 50% of the daily iron in it, it was pretty high) - from what I understand your body assimilates natural iron found in foods much better than those from supplements. My blood tests never indicated anemia, despite all the info (found online, etc) stating you absolutely MUST have a prenatal or you'll be deficient in iron. I rarely if ever, ate red meat.

Perhaps you were simply implying that because of lead she might need iron in a quantity difficult to consume naturally especially for a child maybe, so I apologize if I am misunderstanding... but I just had to challenge the statement that there are "no good food sources of iron outside of red meat!" Sorry, I'm not convinced. I think there are quite a few!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page