Lead test required for school - why? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD1 and DD2 will be attending a "preschool" in the fall. In the info packet she gave me, it says

"If your child is 9 months of age or older, a statement from a doctor or health care professional which says that your child has been screened for lead poisoning" is required.

We do not vax and have included a religious exemption letter in the past with no trouble. But I was just wondering what the reason is for a lead screening requirement? It's not like it's contagious or anything. Does that fall under the exemption or is this something that I have to have done? We live in a house that is 12 years old, so there is no risk of lead exposure in the house.

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#2 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 PM

You don't have to do anything to your child. No testing as far as I know. It can all be covered under exemptions.
#3 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think they are trying to cover their behinds. Getting you to screen your child before they attend ensures that you can never claim your child got lead poisoning from their toys, paint, building etc. Thats what I think.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 03:51 PM

It's probably required for daycare/preschool/school entry because lead poisoning is more common in your area (I'm assuming) and lead can cause such learning difficulties. They'd want to rule that out as a problem for kids before starting school, instead of let a kid's education and development suffer for it.
#5 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
I think they are trying to cover their behinds. Getting you to screen your child before they attend ensures that you can never claim your child got lead poisoning from their toys, paint, building etc. Thats what I think.
I never thought of that. Our ped. offers the lead test at nine months. It isn't required for our daycare though.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#6 of 14 Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Are you sure it is required or is it recommended?
#7 of 14 Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I just found an exemption letter on vaclib.org. The form I have from the teacher says that the lead screening must be updated as required by the Dept of Public Health regulations. I am going to ask the teacher about it and see if she will push it. I don't think she will, it's not really a "school" (more of a gathering of kids for the day to have fun in someone's house).

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#8 of 14 Old 08-01-2009, 12:03 AM

I'd say it's likely because it's somewhat common and leads to learning difficulties which are often assessed in the preschool/kindergarten stage. I actually think it's less about covering their butts and more about properly assessing your child. Many private schools/institutions don't have the ability or funding to deal with special needs and want to know that bases have been covered before entry.

That said, I'd wonder if it's compulsory or just recommended?
#9 of 14 Old 08-01-2009, 06:54 AM

Just want to point out that just because you live in a recently-constructed house doesn't mean your children don't have high lead levels.

Lead can also be found in the dirt outside, the dust inside, not to mention (as we now know) toys and other day-to-day objects.

I'm a selective/delayed vaxxer myself, but I absolutely got a lead screening for my child at age 1, in order to treat, if necessary, high lead levels. I would encourage you to think about it, before simply deciding against it. Lead poisoning (and even levels that aren't considered poisoning, but that are higher) can lead to serious, serious cognitive problems for your child.

Just putting that out there!
#10 of 14 Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 AM

Oh, yeah. thanks for that. I meant to mention that as well. Lead can be found in your tableware, silverware, water, dirt, air etc. You don't need to live in an old house to have exposure. That is for sure. For me, since it's an easy test it's one I do for my kids-and I don't do much of anything. Then again, we have issues with metals anyway. My kid's lead is REALLY high.
#11 of 14 Old 08-01-2009, 02:29 PM

I think it's a valuable test too and we do it.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#12 of 14 Old 08-01-2009, 04:02 PM

Did you ask anyone at the school why it is required?
#13 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

I plan to ask on Tuesday when I see the teacher next. My oldest two have both had lead tests before, DD2 when she was around 1, and DD1 had her last lead test when she was 3. I just do not want to put them through it if I don't have to. I talked about it to them and now they are scared to go to the dr. I don't want it to be a struggle every time to bring them because they will associate the dr with pain. I'm torn.

#14 of 14 Old 08-02-2009, 06:09 PM

Maybe you could try talking to them about it differently? I dunno. I work hard to spare my children pain, but that doesn't mean (to me) that they don't have to do things that *I* feel are necessary. They don't like to take certain supplements, but it's not a choice. So, we make a game out of it and all take them together making icky faces and rolling on the ground.

They wouldn't have necessarily agreed to blood draws that were necessary, but I didn't ask them. I told them this is what needed to happen, we talked about how interesting it was, how it would be a little prick and then we'd get to see their blood and how much information it would give then we talked about the insides of our bodies and looked at pictures. The focus wasn't on the moment of discomfort, it was more on how amazing our bodies are, and this was a way they could talk to us.

I understand not wanting to inflict unnecessary pain, but I didn't think this test was a. horrible or b. unnecessary. Granted I am not you and you may have an entirely different situation and not feel that it IS necessary. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just provide my experience if it helps. I find that reframing things can make all the difference. I also found that each time we had to do something like this the docs were fabulous. FWIW my kids are unvaxxed and the only needles they have seen were for tests like this. They still adore our doc and get psyched to see her.

I hope you end up getting what you need!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page