Do I have other treatment options? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD has labial adhesions. They are causing dribbling in her underpants and pain or itching. (She is 30 months, all I know is it is bothering her.) Took her to ped, who dx'ed this and wants me to use estrogen cream. Did a little reading online (including a couple old posts here!) Seems this is semi-common and non-worrisome.

in those old threads here, it was people mostly without other symptoms saying not to treat.

She's got other symptoms. Do I have an option other than the estrogen cream to get rid of it?

thanks

(FWIW I'm also doing the baking soda bath suggested by her doc and will now be removing her from the tub after shampooing her hair. She *is* using the potty but I will be helping her clean better just to make sure nothing is irritating)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 11:10 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. My dd hasn't been diagnosed with labial adhesions yet.... but I am suspecting. We have an appt. tomorrow.

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#3 of 8 Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 PM

My daughter had them too. If they had remained or come back and caused more discomfort or infections, I would have used the estrogen cream.
The times I knew they were causing discomfort, I used a little coconut oil or emu oil on her and that seemed to help.
Like most girls who have them, she did outgrow them (she's almost 6 now and they were gone by age 3 or 4).
I am very conservative in the use of allopathic medicine but a few weeks of estrogen cream was much less disconcerting to me than potential infections and treating those. My doctor who showed the adhesions to me first was conservative as well. He said that if I ever took her to another doctor to NOT let anyone force the adhesions apart. It really seemed analagous to baby boys' foreskins.
#4 of 8 Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niffer View Post
My daughter had them too. If they had remained or come back and caused more discomfort or infections, I would have used the estrogen cream.
The times I knew they were causing discomfort, I used a little coconut oil or emu oil on her and that seemed to help.
Like most girls who have them, she did outgrow them (she's almost 6 now and they were gone by age 3 or 4).
I am very conservative in the use of allopathic medicine but a few weeks of estrogen cream was much less disconcerting to me than potential infections and treating those. My doctor who showed the adhesions to me first was conservative as well. He said that if I ever took her to another doctor to NOT let anyone force the adhesions apart. It really seemed analagous to baby boys' foreskins.
Thank you for your reply! We've got coconut oil, so I could always try that first. I just googled emu oil, can't believe I've never heard of it. I'll make sure if it is adhesions that she won't be touched.

#5 of 8 Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 AM

You're welcome!

I was surprised at the lack of info out there when I found out my daughter had adhesions. I remembered something else...they can recur (after they come apart on their own or with the help of the cream).

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...np=304&id=2169 an article I still had bookmarked
#6 of 8 Old 10-16-2009, 07:15 AM

I would actually highly recommend calendula oil. It seems to do a better job than coconut oil. Good luck!
#7 of 8 Old 10-16-2009, 09:23 AM

Thanks! I'll look for some calendula oil.

#8 of 8 Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I did end up using the cream and the adhesions went away. If they ever do recur I'll try out coconut oil first.

She will be 3 in Jan. and is now fully day-potty-learned so maybe they won't....

(I was told they happen because of irritation, doc said one big reason is possibly poop from a diaper---NOT that you leave them in it, but sometimes it gets in there and irritates--doesn't take much or long-- and then it can heal into adhesions)

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page