depression in 12 yr old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone familiar with "depression" in an adolescent and how to treat it without drugs? My nephew was just put on 2 medicines (celexa for depression and zomig for headaches) He is only 12, I am really worried about him on these drugs especially celexa, I don't believe it was used as a last resort, I think it is even contraindicated in this age (I'm still trying to research it) and would like to try to offer some alternatives to his mom, she has 4 other kids to care for and I doubt she has any time to research this issue. I've read about omega-3 fatty acids... anything else that might help?? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
#2 of 5 Old 08-08-2009, 12:38 AM

I only have a second but check out removing gluten and the supplement
5-HTP.
#3 of 5 Old 08-08-2009, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had my first depressed episodes as a teen, a few years later but in high school. Now that I'm an adult and I'm piecing together all my health stuff, a lot of the things in the Natural Cure thread in the post-partum depression forum seem to fit my overall health picture. If you can find a HCP for guidance, to figure out how/why vitamins and minerals and EFAs are so out of balance, that would probably be best. But the nutrients discussed in that thread were a lot of the ones that are still messed up in me as an adult.
#4 of 5 Old 08-08-2009, 02:14 PM

I highly recommend the book, Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment For: Autism, ADD, ADHD, Depression, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Schizophrenia
This treatment is also known as the GAPS diet, which you can google for more info. This is treatment through diet that does require some commitment, so I don't know if your in-laws would go for it.
This book is excellent for anyone interested in health - it most likely applies to many many health issues. I highly recommend it.
#5 of 5 Old 08-08-2009, 04:34 PM

regardless of medication or supplement usage, it would be great for the child to work with a psychologist trained in cognitive-behavioral therapy. this method is evidenced based and is as effective as traditional SSRI therapy. it is skills based, has no side-effects, and can also reduce the liklihood of recurrent symptoms. unless a child is in danger of self harm i feel it should be the first line of treatment.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page