Gut-healing mamas, Help!-- I have to start antibiotics for Lyme, how do I proactively protect/heal my gut?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I know all you gut-healing mamas can help me. I have decided to take antibiotics for the first time in over 10 years, because I have Lyme disease.

Please advise me on a good, mild, one-strain probiotic supplement (I have had bad reactions to probiotics in the past), as well as other recommendations for supporting my body through and beyond an antibiotics regimen and beyond. And should I do probiotics, etc. during the course of antibiotics, starting on what day, or wait til afterwards?

This is what I am thinking:
Eliminate all sugar, fruit, and most grains starting now (for at least a couple months).
Eat yogurt, kefir, kombucha, and sauerkraut daily
Take Vit C and maybe a multivitamin daily.
Start on probiotic supplement around day 7, gradually increasing and continuing until day 10 for at least 60 days.
What do you all think?
#2 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 03:49 PM

My son had to do a long course for lyme as well.

Your best probiotic choice in your situation is florastor (sach. bouldari is the strain). It survives antibiotics so you can take it with the antibiotic and you're never without coverage in terms of healthy bacteria. Other probiotics you need to take 3 hours after each dose as the antibiotic kills them each time. I'd do florastor in your situation (or another brand of sach. bouldari strain...Klaire labs sells one that is allergen free). It's also especially good with yeast in a addition to the bad bacteria overgrowths. This will go very far toward helping you through this without losing ground gut wise.

You start the probiotic with your first antibiotic. If that isn't possible take another probiotic 3 hours after each dose. The fermented foods and the like will help too but the antibiotics are going to kill the good stuff each time. So you 've got a similar situation as you do with probiotics. They are a good idea but keep your fermented foods three hours away from the antibiotics. Make sure your diet changes aren't putting too much pressure on your body. You do need some carb calories and your body is going to be under stress anyway with the lyme treatment. Make sure it has the energy it needs.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

sbgrace, thank you, thank you! I'm going to look into that probiotic right away. Just took my first dose of antibiotic, yuck! Other thoughts are welcome too!
Celeste
#4 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can the probiotics interfere with the abx? I always thought that, but I could be wrong.

Why are you starting the probiotics on day 7? I'd start them before starting the abx if I could & take them even after the abx were done.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
Can the probiotics interfere with the abx? I always thought that, but I could be wrong.

Why are you starting the probiotics on day 7? I'd start them before starting the abx if I could & take them even after the abx were done.
No, probiotics do not interfere with antibiotics in any way.
You do need them now...so you need something else while you wait for your florastor. Take the alternate probiotic three hours after each dose of antibiotics. You can keep taking it along with florastor if you find you tolerate it.

If you get in a mess gut-wise/overgrowth wise probiotics cannot fix it. It's more preventative in terms of antibiotics. So you need them now. Culturelle is widely available most anywhere. Take it three hours after every dose until you get your florastor. Also do your fermented foods.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#6 of 7 Old 08-09-2009, 08:54 PM

i had chronic lyme and was scared to death to take the antibiotics. my whole life antibiotics have always ruined my body. i found a chiropractor who is a herbalist and he totally eradicated my lyme with herbs. he has been doing it for years and it has great sucsess. i no nothing but antibiotics is supose to kill the lyme but these hebs work!!! after a month of working with him im totally symptom free. and i thought i was dying. his name is richard bloom. his website is richardbloomdc.com
#7 of 7 Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 PM

Check out Bio-Kult probiotics. According to the book Gut and Psychology Syndrome - eat no grains, no starchy vegetables, only certain beans if soaked for 24 hrs and rinsed, no lactose. Fruits are OK. You can check out the diet by googling GAPS diet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page