Wound that keeps oozing after 5 days? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom fell and scraped her knee up. Actually, she landed hard on her knee, not really scraping it. But it left what looks like a big scab, except it won't scab over. It keeps oozing clearish yellowing goo. The doctor said she has a joint infection, would that be causing this wound to keep oozing? She wants to put peroxide on it, but she's out of it. I don't see how that would help really. If the infection is in the joint, how come her skin is oozing? I read somewhere about putting raw honey on it, but I don't think I could talk her into that. I posted in another thread about her too, but I specifically wanted to know about this and am hoping someone can help. Any ideas? Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
2xy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was still working in health care, we were told that peroxide is not good to put on a wound. It doesn't really do much to reduce bacteria, and it actually irritates healthy cells....so it prolongs the healing process.

Did the doctor want to treat this joint infection with antibiotics? It doesn't seem sensible that a joint infection would cause oozing through the skin. It's possible that when she fell, she injured the soft tissue of her knee, and cells are giving off fluid.

If it were me, I would wash it, bandage it, and change the bandages frequently. I would buy the sort of bandages that are non-stick. When it comes to problems with the skin, I was always taught, "if it's dry, make it wet....if it's wet, make it dry." Maybe treat the bandages with a bit of aloe vera gel.

User Tag List