Natural Solutions for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis symptoms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suffer from varying symptoms due to my Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, including extreme moodiness, lack of sleep, fatigue, and irritability. I've spoken to my doctor (who I really like and have gone to for years) many times, and she's tried modifying my Levothyrox, plus I've tried exercising, eating better, yoga, Evening Primrose Oil, Bachs Rescue Remedy, Lavender, etc. I just seem to be getting more and more irritable, and lashing out at the children all of the time. Sometimes I truly feel psychotic. I feel like my only recourse at this point is to ask for antidepressants, but I would really like to try something natural first. I saw that there was a website selling a special blend of Bachs Flowers Essences specifically for Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, but who knows if it works (plus its kind of expensive.) Does anyone else suffer from this, and have you tried any combination of natural remedies that have helped? I'm really at the end of my tether at this point. I think my children must hate me (and my neighbors think Im crazy for yelling so much...)
#2 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM

I have Hashi's, diagnosed about 15 years ago, and I understand some of the issues about not feeling well with this! You will probably get a ton of info from mamas here about natural thyroid care, starting with ditching Levo (which I take and do fine with now) and getting on Armour. There are some fantastic threads on here with advice from very well read and researched ladies who know their stuff.

How long have you had the dx, and what dose levo are you on? I didn't start to lose some of those really crappy symptoms until I found a doc who would let me take my tsh under 1. That's where I feel good, great in fact, but getting an HCP to listen to you is not easy. I am on 150 mc of synthroid.
#3 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I was diagnosed about 6 yrs ago, and have been taking the Levothyrox for that time. To tell you the truth, I really didn't put the way I was feeling together with my Hashimoto's until recently, so I never questioned whether it could be that treatment. I'm about to do a search on past threads. Thanks!
#4 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara24bella View Post
I was diagnosed about 6 yrs ago, and have been taking the Levothyrox for that time. To tell you the truth, I really didn't put the way I was feeling together with my Hashimoto's until recently, so I never questioned whether it could be that treatment. I'm about to do a search on past threads. Thanks!
yep ditch the levo. Do armour or naturethroid. Consider seeing a ND.
Have you cut out gluten?

Most people with hashis are sensitive to gluten.
What is your diet like? What supps are you taking?
#5 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM

Have you had your adrenals tested?
I have Hashi's and after I'd been on levo for a few months my adrenals tanked - which I later read is common - and caused most of the symptoms you describe, plus aching joints. For me, it was an issue w/ my body trying to convert the t4 only med to t3 that put the extra stress on adrenals. I finally had a full blown adrenal crisis and started on bio-identical cortisol replacement. I can't tolerate any thyroid meds now, including armour. Iodine has really helped me though.
#6 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM

Thyroid issus are tough. I can share what has worked for me. I was dx w/ Hashimoto's when I was 18 years old (13 yrs ago). Over the years I've paid VERY close attention to all my blood levels and I go every 6m to have them checked (more often if I feel "off"). Like the pp said, I know my personal window where I feel good. I can not function with a TSH above 2.0 (and this was true even years back before they changed the "normal" levels). Also, I take synthroid and have had good luck with it from the start. However, with both synthroid and levothyroxine (sp?) you have to take it correctly (one hour before a meal or 2-3 hours after with a big glass of water). It has to be at the same time each day (or pretty close). At times when I've gotten lazy about that I've seen it impact my symptoms and mood.

For me, exercise helps, reducing stress helps, and listening to my body. Under stress all autoimmune issues are exacerbated and I've had so many instances where situational stress results in a flare-up, and your numbers on the bloodwork don't always show the changes taking place (my endo says your bloods can run 2-3 weeks behind the changes you experience).

Also, I developed horrible symptoms of anxiety before I was diagnosed which got much better after I was medicated....but I still struggle with anxiety from time to time and I had to take ownership of that and address it separate from my thyroid. It helped to use meditation, yoga, mindfulness exercises, etc. Rescue remedy also helped a bit for me.

For some people I've also heard that tracking basal body temp is a great way to monitor thyroid function. I have no first hand experience with that though.

I hope that you're able to find some peace and get to the bottom of your symptoms!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#7 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, after reading about 25 pages on just the FIRSt Thyroid thread, I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed. Like I mentioned, it just dawned on me recently that there may be some correlation- I haven't really monitored at all my TCH levels, etc. I get the tests done every 6 m, more often when I was pregnant, and thats all. I actually didn't know about taking the Levothyrox one hour before eating- I do take it at the same time every day (the AM) but I sort of pop it down with my coffee. I guess I've always thought of Hashimoto's as a sort of "condition" and not really a "real" disease with serious symptoms. My body has been telling me that for a while, but I honestly didnt put two and two together. My dr knows that I'm on Levothryrox, has been getting the blood results, has been hearing me complain about m problems (dizziness, depression, insomnia, constant cold, heat flashes, racing heart, etc) but has never mentioned to me that they could be related. I feel like a complete idiot for not putting 2 and 2 together! Now I'm wondering about all of these other things- like for the past 6 months I've been having panic attacks over things that I used to not mind- like flying, or going into dark spaces- but totally for no reason! The worse is the rage that I exhibit towards my children- I feel so bad because now they talk to each other that way, and I can hear its my voice! My dr is on vacation now, I dont know how I'll last until she gets back- Should I pick up some vitamin supplements or something until she gets back? I feel like I'm ruining the kids summer vacation...
#8 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 07:51 PM

I wish I could help you more- there is a ton of information on those threads, and honestly, I disagree with a lot of it. It's hard to sort through all of that, decide what to try, what you can afford in my case some times, decide to try one thing or many. I don't think it's a simple equation. I do feel great on synthroid and wouldn't ditch it for anything. It's easy, inexpensive, and it works for me (now that I have the correct dose). I tried a lot of other stuff, worked with a naturopath, and didn't get relief. I have tried anti-depressants also with fair success. That never quite did it for me. You need to see somebody you trust and decide together what path you want to follow... your symptoms could be from other things as well. I had many of the symptoms you have and I do believe it was thyroid. There are other threads on the internet where people with Hashi's talk about what they have done to counter the effects of chronic low grade inflammation. I'll see if I can find that for you.

Sara
#9 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
Have you had your adrenals tested?
I have Hashi's and after I'd been on levo for a few months my adrenals tanked - which I later read is common - and caused most of the symptoms you describe, plus aching joints. For me, it was an issue w/ my body trying to convert the t4 only med to t3 that put the extra stress on adrenals. I finally had a full blown adrenal crisis and started on bio-identical cortisol replacement. I can't tolerate any thyroid meds now, including armour. Iodine has really helped me though.
:

The anger/impatience part sounds very adrenal-related to me. I used to be hypo, and that was easier to heal than the adrenals, at least the adrenals are taking longer. Adrenal problems are relatively common with thyroid problems, it's part of chronic stress and essentially being worn down in terms of our stress hormones (cortisol, adrenaline, etc).

If you can't get a prescription for armour or naturethroid or something with T3 as well, you could try supplementing selenium and maybe zinc so that your body has enough to convert the T4 supp into T3. That's the reason many people don't do well on a T4-only supp. Selenium, you'd want to stick to around 200 mcg, more would be okay in the short-term, but long-term if you wanted to do more than that, you should look into other nutrients as well, so everything's nicely balanced.

The last 10-15 pages (ooh, that's too much to recommend to someone to read) of the Thyroid Thread II has more discussion of healing hypothyroidism if you're interested.
#10 of 10 Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara24bella View Post
I actually didn't know about taking the Levothyrox one hour before eating- I do take it at the same time every day (the AM) but I sort of pop it down with my coffee.
Another thing to note is that it MUST be taken *at least* one hour before the intake of caffeine. So, taking it with your morning coffee is, most likely, affecting the absorption.

I'm on Levoxyl for Thyroid Cancer, but my Endo absolutely refuses to prescribe anything but Levoxyl and Synthroid since it's very easy for pharmacies to alternate between varying generics.

FWIW, I have an alarm clock that goes off every morning at 6am simply for me to take my pill, roll over and enjoy the next few minutes before a kid wakes me up. Before I got in the habit of setting the alarm I would take it anywhere in a 2 hour period. It simply wasn't working for my body.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page