adrenal fatigue, diet treatment, etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2009, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A good friend of mine has adrenal fatigue, has had it most of his life but suffers now from intermittent muscle and nerve pain. He is doing cortisol therapy which helps, but is not the whole picture..

Any and all advice/input about diet therapies (which I will enthusiastically be helping him with, have seen miracles in that realm!) and other supportive natural treatments welcome and appreciated

cheers, wise mamas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemom View Post
A good friend of mine has adrenal fatigue, has had it most of his life but suffers now from intermittent muscle and nerve pain. He is doing cortisol therapy which helps, but is not the whole picture..

Any and all advice/input about diet therapies (which I will enthusiastically be helping him with, have seen miracles in that realm!) and other supportive natural treatments welcome and appreciated

cheers, wise mamas!
Have you seen the adrenal thread?
Also Drlam.com I think that's the site.
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/adrenal-info/
Maybe that will help some
Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemom View Post

cheers, wise mamas!
Sometimes it's something more (or in addition to) adrenal fatigue. Sometimes the adrenal fatigue is caused by another underlying issue. And muscle and nerve pain are indicators of that (strong ones).

What types of medical tests has he had?

Mitochondrial disorder causes both of those. And most doctors are unaware of adult onset/symptomatic mito disorder. It's one of the most common metabolic disorders. CPT II is another common metabolic condition that affects muscles. Both can and do have adult onsets.

Vitamin D deficiency is very common and can cause that pain and adrenal fatigue symptoms (and it often goes with adrenal fatigue).

As far as tests if he can do that he needs a vitamin D ( 25 (OH) D) level. In additon, I'd test coq10 levels and carnitine levels (looking for mito and metabolic signs/deficiencies associated with that which can cause those symptoms) Alternitively, Metametrix urine test was helpful in picking up needs for certain supplements including the ones associated with those metabolic conditions if he can get that.

Does your friend snore or have fatigue? Because sleep apnea can (and does) cause both nerve and muscle pain as well. You would need a sleep study in the hospital. Sleep apnea wrecks havoc on health.

If he can't get tests I'd do the following supplements (in order of importance given his symptoms and likely causes):

vitamin D (5000 IU D3 per day should be safe no matter his levels but I strongly encourage him to get levels tested so he knows if he needs more)

coq10 (epic4health brand particularly--that is important though any brand is better than none) at 200 mg. per day. If he is going to get the metametrix or lab coq10 he'd do that before he starts supplementing. This supplement (epic4health) improves levels very quickly. I and both my kids use it per our geneticist and most doctors treating coq10 deficiency related disorders use only that company (tischon corporation brands). But again any is better than none.

A basic b vitamin

aceytl carnitine supplement, regular carnitine is ok too. Split doses better than one does.

Magnesium

Other suggestions:
If he snores, put a tennis ball in a pocket of a shirt and put it on backwards. He won't cure serious sleep apnea but it might reduce episodes. Ideally, he'll consider a sleep study and if he has apnea he'll treat it. I use a mouth device successfully that insurance covered. It's comfortable and has made a world of difference.

Protein in the morning/for breakfast.

Prioritize sleep. This is partly why the sleep apnea affects nerves and muscles..they regenerate during sleep.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have adrenal fatigue. Also had muscle pain and nerve pain. I've been seeing an osteopath, who has helped immensely with the nerve pain. For me, going off the top 4 intolerance (dairy, gluten, corn, soy) has done wonders for the muscle pain/spasms (so much so, that I went off all my prescription painkillers). And turmeric and ginger for an anti-inflammatory plus magnesium as a muscle relaxer has also done wonders. I agree that Adrenal Fatigue may not be the only issue.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was dx'd with AF a few years ago, pretty severe (see first post in the adrenal thread). 2 years ago, the muscle pain/ache/weakness started & is still here, every day, all day. Then the itching started. It's only on my upper arms, sometimes up to my shoulders - but it's almost constant & it's AWFUL! I did allergy testing, eliminated stuff, rotated stuff, switched soaps, detergents, you name it. I haven't tried the Feingold Diet yet though....

I'm beginning to think that it's nerve-related. It's weird that the itch is in the same area as the muscle pain. My ND has mentioned mitochondrial disorder to me but I think we didn't look into it much because of the cost of testing & the supps.

Those who have CoQ10 or carnitine deficiency, must you take these supps for life?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post

I'm beginning to think that it's nerve-related. It's weird that the itch is in the same area as the muscle pain. My ND has mentioned mitochondrial disorder to me but I think we didn't look into it much because of the cost of testing & the supps.

Those who have CoQ10 or carnitine deficiency, must you take these supps for life?
I have been on a nerve related variety of assaults since April of last year. It just kept getting worse like you're experiencing too.

I suspect mito is relatively common in adrenal fatigue people. Anyway, yes you would want to take them for the rest of your life. But if you didn't do that any time would be better than none. Mito is a progressive condition. The supplements are meant to help slow that progression and help the existing mitochondria function at their best. So the alternative is keep getting worse faster basically.

I'm paying for mito supplements for three people here (myself and my two kids). I get your hesitation cost wise. But it's been worth it here for us as the supplements improved the way we feel and function. I can ask hubby to figure out the yearly cost for my coq10 but it's not horribly expensive. I take 200 mg. a day of their cheapest option and got my coq10 (seriously deficient numbers) up in a few months. I felt much better as the number improved. Over time my nerve stuff is even improving as well which I thought might not happen given it was actual nerve damage.

Are you insured? If you are I have some suggestions. You won't need all the tests (muscle for example) to figure out what you need to do supplement wise. In fact you really only need one or two labs depending on which way you go. In the long run (deductibles aside) you pay for the coq10. That will hopefully change as the FDA process goes on. The Tischon Corp. has FDA Orphan Drug Approval now. Next is Orphan Drug Marketing Approval and that's when things get covered. Also, there is a new medication that might actually treat mito on the horizon possibly. The treatment is making huge differences right now I guess. I want to be in line for that if these results hold. Carnitine (Carnitor) is a for life med too. But you desperately need it if you are deficient. Insurance covers Carnitor. Two of my kids are on that. I'm not though I probably should be (my level was normal).

If you don't have coverage based on what I've seen I think I would take the coq10 (Tischon, 200 mg) and carnitine (mito low level suggestions from the UMDF site) without testing in your situation. They are safe and may make a world of difference for you.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 08-15-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all this information! I will check the adrenal thread too..

Mitochondrial disorder, don't know if he has checked for that. He is seeing a good doc across the country (as the ones here were unresponsive to his needs) who is progressive, but still an MD. The diet piece, I believe is

H U G E. We cannot stress the importance of good eating enough, nor the detriments of poor habits. This is a road I will travel with him some, to help him thru the early stages of "cleaning up". He is addicted to sugar, as he has had low blood sugar. Says he lived for a long time as a younger man with thyroid issues that went undetected, and his adrenals compensated for that and are now exhausted. So we work to treat the thyroid and let the adrenals heal up.. he takes cortisol and has reduced stress in his life. Good steps but the rest must come together for it all to be effective. He does take several vitamin supplements, I need to see specifically what they are... coQ10 came to my mind too, and how about bromelain? Anyone like that? Ginger and turmeric, yeah that...

and GOOD EATING. I'll have to tie him to a chair for the sugar detox, but so be it.

heehee, don't know if he snores, I don't sleep with him. Yet
Old 08-16-2009, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The mito stuff is scaring me.

What does this eventually lead to? Heart failure? I guess it's hereditary. Now I'm thinking of my dad's type 2/insulin-dependent diabetes & heart disease.

I guess I'll ask my ND about testing next time I go.

If my levels of Co-Q10 & carnitine are good, does that rule it out? How do you rule mito dysfunction out?

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OP, does he have a good idea as to _why_ his adrenals (and thyroid) are in such poor shape? For me that's been key to feeling better. What types of things has he/his HCP ruled in/out?

With the sugar issue, it could be just to prop up his adrenals (to keep his energy up) or it could be related to a very leaky gut and gut dysbiosis/candida. In which case you'd want some nutritional support as you try to change the balance in the gut (and again, you'd want to know why/how the gut got out of balance like that).

My adrenal issues (and thyroid issues) are directly related to my amalgam fillings. Other metals are out there too, different routes of exposure. Something to consider along with the other stuff.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Tanya
Yeah the DIET and body-balance thing intrigues me.. certiainly exploring that cannot hurt and may get us to the bottom of "why" as you say. I like a nourshing approach in all matters where that can be applied.:

User Tag List