uva ursi and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-17-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so this is me thinking ahead to if/when i get pregnant again. i am not pregnant now!

i know they say uva ursi is not recommended during pregnancy. however, i have also read that (from susun weed and others) that it CAN be used in moderation for UTIs, and some midwives recommend it to their clients.

the reason i ask is that i am prone to UTIs due to a medical condition. i am almost guaranteed to need to treat one during a 9 month time period.

i am being treated by a urologist, so that's under control. the problem is that the only oral antibiotic that works for me is cipro (b/c the bacteria i grow is pseudomonas), which is contraindicated during pregnancy (there are others for pseudomonas that can be administered only via IV, and i almost had to resort to that during my pregnancy with DD, but the infection cleared on its own with lots of cranberry, etc.).

uva ursi, however, works really well for me and is almost as reliable as cipro.

so my question is, is uva ursi something i can consider in my "arsenal" as a last resort for pregnancy? or is it totally out? is a certain time (like first trimester) worse for using it?

thanks for any insight. i would ask my OB or urologist, but i absolutely 100% know that neither would have a freakin' clue.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc

User Tag List