UTI's-need info to clear this up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this weird thing going on. Last week I started having periods of having to urinate a little more and also a weird feeling when I am done urinating. I think its a UTI but not sure. I immediately started drinking some fresh cranberry, sodium ascorbate and also mixed some water with ACV. Not together but at different time of the day.
The symptoms went away. Then at night before going to bed I felt a symptom and then was gone for a day again. Anyways, its a week later and its seems its come back slightly again. I have no pain and am confused b/c it comes and goes. Is this typical? I'm thinking I should just go to the Dr and have it checked out. Maybe I am being to inconsitent with the vit c and the cranberry. Any advice on this? It comes for a few hours then is gone for a day etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Same thing happened to me when I was taking the Vitamin C because it MASKS the infection, but doesn't make it go away. Also if you're taking Vitamin C, the test strips will not be accurate, so if you go to a doctor, be sure to tell him that you're taking it (and it's rendering the test strips useless). If you weren't taking the Vitamin C, I'd say to go to a drugstore and just buy the test strips (3 for about $10, Azo is one brand) and test yourself.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 PM

Probiotics help to prevent UTI, not sure about treating them once you have one. But, it won't hurt to add probiotics to your diet.

Homeopathy helps with UTIs also.

Specific research studies are linked below.

Probiotics. http://www.springerlink.com/content/1741p5k22284x265/

Homeopathics: http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2262002.html

You might check out these threads also:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post11703950

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post11704452

Couple other hints in this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...s#post12952236

Cantharis is a homeopathic remedy for acute bladder irritation. You might try that.

http://www.hpathy.com/diseases/urina...tment-cure.asp
http://books.google.com/books?id=lGRI65gBhyAC&pg=RA2-PA703&lpg=RA2-PA703&dq=blad\
der+spasm+cantharis&source=web&ots=w5g9o6a0al&sig= j41VTDQ-s-Rdn-kuBE_Ea2MYpHg

http://google-sina.com/2008/01/29/he...der-infection/
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...711290313.html

http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=NC212

Vit C, magnesium, zinc are all important for immune support.

Here are some vitamin and herbal alternatives to consider also. http://www.prevention.com/cda/vendor...tural.remedies

Here are recent threads about alternatives:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ight=infection
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1061734

whole food probiotics (yogurt, kefir). The Lactobacillus helps to prevent UTI.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...20&postcount=9

HTH, Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Same thing happened to me when I was taking the Vitamin C because it MASKS the infection, but doesn't make it go away. Also if you're taking Vitamin C, the test strips will not be accurate, so if you go to a doctor, be sure to tell him that you're taking it (and it's rendering the test strips useless). If you weren't taking the Vitamin C, I'd say to go to a drugstore and just buy the test strips (3 for about $10, Azo is one brand) and test yourself.
So I can get test strips at the drugstore? I had no idea. So vitamin C masks the infection? I read that its supposed to clear it up. I cannot remember the last time I had one of these.

Thanks for all the links Pat. I'll read thru them.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still confused w the vitamin C masks the infection- I thought it was supposed to help clear it up. I've read that on numerous links and sites when I was researching. Here was one of the links Pat listed that I read the other day.

"Many doctors recommend 5,000 mg or more of vitamin C per day for an acute UTI, as well as long-term supplementation for people who are prone to recurrent UTIs. Although no controlled clinical trials have demonstrated the effectiveness of vitamin C for this purpose, vitamin C has been shown to inhibit the growth of E. coli, the most common bacterial cause of UTIs.12 In addition, supplementation with 4,000 mg or more of vitamin C per day, results in a slight increase in the acidity of the urine,13 creating an “unfriendly” environment for some infection-causing bacteria."

I'm not prone to getting these infections so I'm not worried about that. Just don't know how long I should go before actually going to the Dr. I do know a MD/Homeopath who I could go to. This might be the best choice although I'd rather avoid the Dr's office all together. I've had this on and off for a week now. I'm thinking I should up the cranberry juice and vitamin C and get the strips to test in the morning.

KJ BROWN 92-how did you end up resolving your UTI?

Thanks again for all the info
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 AM

I dealt with a UTI last summer it was hell. I tried all the natural supplements, cranberry juice...then one day I saw cranberry Kombucha and I started drinking one a day and it was gone by the end of the week. Maybe it was a coincidence but I don't think so.

Veda 9/06
Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

I tried all the herbal stuff last time because I really wanted to avoid abx (I'd been on abx for 5 years because of constant UTIs due to a nerve issue). I was taking Vitamin C and something else I can't remember (was about $30 at Whole Foods... where one is supposed to be good for e.coli and the other is supposed to be good for others... can't remember the name) and cranberry pills. I would feel better during the day while I was taking everything, and the test strips would show clear, and then in the morning, I would have it "back again" and the test strip would be positive. Then I read online that the Vitamin C masks it and renders the test strip useless. I ended up with the abx as usual (I think I waited over a week before I went to the doctor for that one). Since a UTI can go up to the kidneys for a kidney infection, I just don't want anyone making the mistake of trying too long. And maybe my body just doesn't respond like other people's. I've been going to an osteopath for craniosacral work to help my nerve issue.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Today, I woke up with a pain in my left rear side. Behind the hip-probably related right? I guess I am just not good in healing myself. Again, I feel like the UTI is gone but the pain is now there. Maybe its PMS? Gonna get an appt at the Dr just to check it out. Its been going on a week and for some reason my luck in clearing things up naturally has not been good. I'm so frustrated. Would have liked to just avoid the antibiotics.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
Today, I woke up with a pain in my left rear side. Behind the hip-probably related right? I guess I am just not good in healing myself. Again, I feel like the UTI is gone but the pain is now there. Maybe its PMS? Gonna get an appt at the Dr just to check it out. Its been going on a week and for some reason my luck in clearing things up naturally has not been good. I'm so frustrated. Would have liked to just avoid the antibiotics.
Sounds like it could be kidney, though kidney is up a little higher. But yes, I'd get it checked out. And tell him/her how long you've had the pain and what you've been doing for it. If the kidney is involved, then they tend to put you on abx longer. Fever? Chills? Vomiting? If not, then maybe no kidney involvement.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

No fever, chills, vomiting etc. Atleast. if I go to the Dr I can see if the back pain is related. Its gone now but maybe the coffee I had helped w the pain. I know I should not be drinking coffee but its the only bad thing I do-one in the morning. My symptoms have been mild so far but who knows. Geez, I wish one could find a Dr that was into the natural. I should have gone to the homeopath md instead-atleast she is more open minded. Does the vitamin C not help fight off the infection? I have not had any since last night so it should be out of my system by now-right?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I went to the Dr and she did give me the antibiotics for 5 days. : As she handed them to me she said that she knows I don't want them. I do have a temp of 100 which surprised me. My back/side still hurts slightly so I do not know what else to do at this point other than take the antibiotics. The urine test showed nothing serious she said but she also did a blood test which she said will come back in a few days. There is no kidney stone. I agreed to the xray to rule that out. I wish I had better luck doing things the natural way. Just don't know what else I could do to get rid of this. Can I still do the vit c w Antibiotics? I'll have to definitely get some kefir. Any other tips. I'm still nursing occassionally so I hope the antibiotics are okay.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:23 PM

I was also getting on-again and off-again UTIs early this summer (despite taking tons of cranberry, probiotics, and vit C) until my midwife gave me a homeopathic remedy --- after 3 days of taking that, my UTI was gone and has since not come back! The remedy she gave to me was Sepia. I've been UTI-free now for almost 2 months. what a relief!

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

I still have not taken the antibiotics-debating on if I could still get rid of this without them. Sepia-I'll have to look that up. The pain is now gone for the time being. If I know it wouldn't turn into something worse I would hold off on them and try something else. What to do? I'm going to call my friend at the HFS to see if he has any ideas. I guess the temp is a good thing since it may be fighting this thing.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 PM

I would not take an antibiotic without a positive culture and sensitivity that documents that the antibiotic chosen is specific, appropriate and effective for that bacteria.

I'd try some homeopathic Arnica for muscle strain or the other homeopathics. They don't have side-effects. Damaging the gut microbials with antibiotics damages your immune systems' ability to fight off infections systemically.

The body CAN heal from bacterial and viral infections, when we support the immune system.

Gut healing Where to start? Help 101

Basically, the gut is 70-80% of the immune system. It all starts with nutrient-dense foods, effective digestion (with adequate stomach acid), absorption of nutrients (in the gut with balanced microbials), and detoxification of the chemical byproducts of foods and environmental toxins by the liver, with adequate bio-available nutrients to support the detox pathways.

I would do whole food probiotics, cod liver oil, magnesium, vit. C, zinc, coconut oil, bone broths, green juices. Support the immune system.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es1967 View Post
I guess the temp is a good thing since it may be fighting this thing.

YES!!

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Now I am regretting the fact that I took one of the antibiotics at 6pm. Afterwards. I also read that nursing while taking Cipro is not a good idea either. My son hardly nurses at this point but now I feel bad just cutting him off like that. Why did I not go to the MD that does the homeopathy? What was I thinking. I guess the lesson to be learned is that I need to research and understand homeopathy which may have helped me. I eat a very healthy diet,do green smoothies,juice alot, take coconut oil etc etc. Wish I would have known about the Azo strips earlier. The problem is I freaked when I had the back pain and was worried that I would end up with a serious kidney infection.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM

A kidney infection is certainly nothing to mess around with.
Did they do a culture? There should always be a culture for sensitivity. For me, because I tend to test early and often, I don't mind waiting the 3 days for a culture to make sure it's the right abx.
And yes, you do need to make sure it's a safe for breastfeeding abx. That's a bummer.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

They did the urine test and then the blood test. The blood test takes 3 days to come back. What can they tell by a blood test though? I should have asked but didn't. I'm feeling very bloated now-wonder what thats from.

I'm really ticked b/c I did tell the doctor I'm nursing. Why would she prescribe this then? I'm not taking any more and am going to call her in the morning. We had a long talk about nursing. The info that came w the antibiotics says not to be used while nursing. Makes me really angry.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:17 AM

Here is the product insert for Cipro. http://www.univgraph.com/bayer/inserts/ciprotab.pdf

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Here is the product insert for Cipro. http://www.univgraph.com/bayer/inserts/ciprotab.pdf

Pat
Thanks. Its actually the generic brand but same info. I'm almost positive the back pain was not related to the UTI now but to my period which just arrived.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:18 AM

Parsley Tea. Crazy, I know. I used to struggle with UTI's and kidney infections real bad. My mom read about parsley tea curing it with a quickness. Sure enough! Works for me Every Time. It can be fresh or dried. And Lots and lots of WATER!!!!
hope you feel well super soon!
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone know is it worse for me to stop taking these abx (taken only 1) or better to continue. Like I said my urine test should nothing bad,waiting on blood test results, I have no symptoms at this time, the backache was unrelated. I was thinking of getting some homeopathics and some kefir today and the strips to keep up w it. Parlsey tea-I have 2 fresh big bunches-how much parlsey did you use for the tea?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM

It is dangerous to take unnecessary antibiotics. This is what leads to drug resistant bacteria.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
It is dangerous to take unnecessary antibiotics. This is what leads to drug resistant bacteria.

Pat

I totally agree. So I called the pharmacist this morning to verify the b/f dangers and of course to ask her if I just took one of these pills if I can stop until I get my full test results back on friday. She said yes that if I only had one it is fine. I have no UTI symptoms at all since yesterday. My problem is that b/c I'm having my period I am so exhausted, tired,feeling kind of faint. I think what is causing it is the result of drinking so much water this past week-(electrolytes off). Then along w the blood loss I'm feeling so tired. After I took the antibiotic my stomach felt so bloated until around noon today.That may be period related but I have never had that before. At this point I don't know what to do. I just took some sodium ascorbate, a little grape juice and some superfood to hopefully help me out energy wise. Thinking I should also get some iron in me.
Any suggestions?
(I took the SA would give me some salt too)
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM

Liver!! :

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

No liver please. Picked up some floradix instead. I still have no symptoms of the UTI except I'm still running a temperature and feel lousy. Why would I have a fever and no other symptoms? I picked up some D-mannose but not sure if its too late for this. If only DH would come home and let me rest.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 PM

I keep this stuff on hand and I've never had to resort to abx. It works really fast for me, and I have taken it while nursing a toddler.
I love the floradix with iron - I hope you feel some improvement with that!
fp
Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll remember that for next time. I did find this artcile below which sounds promising even if it is a kidney infection.

http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/mannose.shtml
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 PM

That reminds me - that same guy - Dr. Wright talks about using iodine for uti's.
Maybe search his site for the article?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM

What is the blood test supposed to show? I've never heard of a blood test for a UTI. Were they culturing your urine?

User Tag List