Sunscreen on young infants? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-23-2002, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
in8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello

My baby is due at the end of May and I have been looking forward to taking it out on walks this summer. A friend of mine reminded me that it isn't recommended to use sunscreen on infants under 6 months. Is that true also when you use the natural stuff? If I can't use it, does anyone have recommendations on how to protect their delicate skin?

Thanks
Renee
#2 of 4 Old 04-23-2002, 08:35 PM

I went down south with my 6 months old baby girl. I used sunscreen because we were in the BVI I used the organic brand called California Sun. It was perfect she did not burn. But for you if your bnaby is very small even that will not work but what we had that was also great was a net that was UV protection that you could put around the stroller so she was still protected from the sun. I can't remember that brand of the net but it was great.

Anyway hope this helps
#3 of 4 Old 04-23-2002, 09:29 PM

I hear Jojoba oil has an SPF of 3, and St. John's wort infused oil has an SPF of 6 (although St. John's taken internally causes sun sensitivity) so if you are worried, but don't want to go totally unprotected, you might try something like that. Checking a small patch of skin first for sensitivity......

Otherwise, Flap Happy hats are awesome, and light-weight, light-colored cotton clothes with long sleeves and skirts/ pants can protect from the sun without putting anything onto the skin.
#4 of 4 Old 04-23-2002, 10:14 PM

Baby's skins and systems are so delicate I would not recommend putting anything into or onto them unles you really ahve to. A wide brimmed hat of cap with flaps, sunglasses and a lightweight cotton windbreaker work great for summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page