What should I expect from a lead test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is some paint chipping off the floor of our study and I am concerned that it is lead. I am having someone come over to test our apartment later this week but at the moment would feel more comfortable taking my LO into the Dr. for a lead test.
I have not taken her to the Dr. since she was 6 weeks old and am worried about being lectured for ignoring well-baby check ups and not vaccinating. I do not know the Dr. we are going to. I haven't been able to find any that I like in the area.
What should I expect from this visit? Do they draw a lot of blood? Any tips for consoling my 17 month dd? How long does it take to get results? What is the medication like for lead poisoning? Is the medication safe?
I was also thinking of having her iron tested, as this has not ever been done. What is the process for that? Is it much different from the hemoglobin tests I had when I was pregnant? Is it just a finger prick or do they take a vile of blood?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Well the test depends on the doctor. Some do a finger prick although this is less reliable. Some take a vial of blood. We did the vial of blood route. Ds was fine, it didn't bother him at all, but we went with a friend and that kid cried a lot, but if you have a good pediatric phlebotomist. We went to our local children's hospital to have the blood work done, because our doc doesn't do in office draws for kids under 2.

They tested his iron at the same time, same vial etc. We got the results in a week? I don't really remember.

There is no "medication" for high lead levels unless you are so exteremly high that they need to do emergency things, but in that case there are usually symptoms.

Most of the stuff that happens if your kid test high or high-ish for lead are around lead abatement in the home or homes that your child is in, information around cleaning, diet, and places of exposure.

For instances, wet moping is better than dry sweeping. Wet moping with somethign that can be thrown away (a la swiffer etc) is great because then you don't just save the lead dust for later. SimpleGreen (a natural cleanser) binds with lead to make it more inert when cleaning it up. Don't scrap old paint that you think may be lead because of creating lead dust. Replacment windows are a wonderful way to reduce lead exposure if you have old windows with lead paint on the sashes. A diet high in iron keeps your body from absorbing lead, you must also up your viatmin C to help absorb iron. A decent amount of calicum is also important. The lead levels of soil can also be high, so having your soil tested if you have a yard or garden etc.
#3 of 4 Old 08-19-2009, 07:51 PM

They usually do a finger stick. But if the finger stick result is high they retest go the venous route. Depending on the lab and the reason for the test you can get the result within a few hours. The chelating medications are terrible and I highly doubt they are "safe" but they ARE safer than lead poisoning. One of what dd's had lead poisoning. Her level was above 50. She was sent to Boston for IV chelation and then was put on oral medications until her level was down to 9. It took many months. Now my kid is behaviorly gifted because of the lead.
#4 of 4 Old 08-19-2009, 07:56 PM

I would probably skip the heel prick and ask for a blood draw. Both my kids tested super high like panic high on the heel prick and then had levels that were significantly lower (DD tested at 40 on the heel and 3 in the blood draw). It was a couple of days of freak out over here for no reason.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page