Swine Flu can anyone calm me down? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 09-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Glad I read the no-no list in the cytokine(sp?) storm article, bcz sometimes I do give childrens echinacea, but he never seemed to need it.
Today his temp is nearly normal & I think he'll be back in school tomorrow, which is good cause I need a rest!
Yes, I've been going over the no-no list also:
http://sites.google.com/site/natural...cytokine-storm
Just in case!

I'm really glad it is winding down and ds will be able to go back to school so you can get some rest!
Take care and thanks for posting.

Eclipse,
Thanks to you also for sharing your experience. It really helps to hear from folks whoa re going through this and to hear that it's not as severe as many feared.
Feel better soon!
fp
#32 of 47 Old 09-03-2009, 01:42 PM

We've also had it here, got over it about 2 weeks ago. DS6, DD8 and I all got it bad. High fevers, aches, chills, sore throat, cough, headaches, just feeling crappy honestly. The kids did start Tamiflu (which gave 1 diareaha and the other vomited) but their fevers were gone within a day or so. I skipped all meds except Motrin (nursing) and my flu lasted about 2 days longer than the kids. We got sick on Tues and the kids were fine by Fri and I was a few more days. It did leave me feeling wiped out but I also just had a baby so I'm drained from that/sleep deprived.

Honestly it was no different from the regular flu. Just that we never get sick here (been years!) and we caught this one LOL!

Baby never got it, score 1 for nursing! (she nurses every few hours and cosleeps with me, she had every chance to get it KWIM)

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#33 of 47 Old 09-03-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post
Okay, so I picked dd up for lunch and asked her (casually, I hope!) if she washed her hands before snack. She said no and I asked why. She said none of the other kids did! I just don't get it. Shouldn't that just be BASIC hygiene? Preferably before and after, so they're not touching their mouths and then all these surfaces. It makes me worry about how seriously they're trying to improve their practices. So what do I do? Dd says there's a bathroom, so I asked her if she could ask to use it before she eats anything. I do not want to come across as the hysterical parent (yet), but she might as well be ingesting all those buggies if she isn't washing her hands before eating. Do I ask the teacher? Or just ask the teacher to make sure she washes her hands?
In the spring when H1N1 had just started rearing it's ugly head I asked my dd (then in Junior Kindergarten) if the teacher had them wash hands before eating. She told me that no, they were not allowed to wash hands! This seemed suspicious to me and I did ask the teacher about it and she said that of course the kids always washed before eating, after using the bathroom and at other times as well. They were being very strict with it in fact. You really don't get much of a good sense of what's going on at school by asking a small child I find...

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#34 of 47 Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm pretty sure dd's story was accurate in this case. I asked her if she washed her hands before snack and she said no. I asked why and she said "none of the other kids did." So today I sent her a wet washcloth with soap along with her snack. She told me she used it, without me asking; but again said "nobody else does." So I asked the principal if they had a handwashing policy and he said no, but assured me he would speak to the teachers. I think they might for lunch, but not for snack before recess. This is what bothers me so much. I KNOW I can't guarantee she won't get sick, but I hate not being able to monitor things like handwashing, keeping fingers out of mouths and away from eyes. I see the kids and they do it all.the.time. She's either going to get this or she's not. It feels like as long as she's in school, it's a losing battle.
#35 of 47 Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 PM

OK DD was allright some days ago with some cough and runny nose, I thought it was a regular cold. But she got high fever 40°C (no idea in F) very early in the morning and we took her to the ER, she got the proper testing and she has the swine flu. She stayed in the hospital for the rest of the day and she was just realeased. She's now sleeping peacefully and she seemed fine and content after being realeased...

The deal is that she stayed in the hospital becuase she has asthma, so the doctors wanted to monitor her for the first hours, and now she's fine. I dont understand all the over reactions with it...

Mami to Catalina (9/31/04), Santiago due Jan '10, wife to Edgar:
#36 of 47 Old 09-04-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
This article explains cytokine storms and H1N1, and how to support your immune system without supporting the cytokine storm:
http://www.the-health-gazette.com/he...ral-antivirals
It talks about H5N1...does the information still apply?
#37 of 47 Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure dd's story was accurate in this case. I asked her if she washed her hands before snack and she said no. I asked why and she said "none of the other kids did." So today I sent her a wet washcloth with soap along with her snack. She told me she used it, without me asking; but again said "nobody else does." So I asked the principal if they had a handwashing policy and he said no, but assured me he would speak to the teachers. I think they might for lunch, but not for snack before recess. This is what bothers me so much. I KNOW I can't guarantee she won't get sick, but I hate not being able to monitor things like handwashing, keeping fingers out of mouths and away from eyes. I see the kids and they do it all.the.time. She's either going to get this or she's not. It feels like as long as she's in school, it's a losing battle.
Oh wow, that's surprising to me! At both of my dd's schools (she switched to a new school this year) they have talked a lot about "extra precautions", esp handwashing and covering mouths when coughing/sneezing. I'm glad you talked to the principal and I hope he gets things sorted out with the teacher. I don't think you'd be "weird" or anything to keep on top of this and continue to push if your dd's class still doesn't institute better handwashing policies - that's what I would do!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#38 of 47 Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 AM

The principal told me the public health department sent bottles of hand sanitizer to the school. What if they just decide to use those? I'm assuming it's better than nothing, but I've also heard actual handwashing is far superior. Maybe I should just insist dd washes her hands before she puts anything in her mouth and make sure the teacher knows.

I've even thought about organizing the parents in her class (including me) to volunteer to take shifts cleaning the classroom and supervising/monitoring handwashing. There might be enough parents who could do a couple of hours per week. That might be going over the line for most people, though, I suppose.
#39 of 47 Old 09-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The principal told me the public health department sent bottles of hand sanitizer to the school. What if they just decide to use those? I'm assuming it's better than nothing, but I've also heard actual handwashing is far superior. Maybe I should just insist dd washes her hands before she puts anything in her mouth and make sure the teacher knows.

I've even thought about organizing the parents in her class (including me) to volunteer to take shifts cleaning the classroom and supervising/monitoring handwashing. There might be enough parents who could do a couple of hours per week. That might be going over the line for most people, though, I suppose.
To me it seems like a simple enough thing that kids should be washing hands before eating (as opposed to sanitizer, though that's certainly better than nothing). I would ask to talk to the teacher, tell her your concerns, and request that she starts having the kids wash hands at snack time. Simple enough, IMO. I don't really think it would take volunteer parents to get that done, though you could certainly offer your services. As for whether other parents would volunteer it's hard to say. Of the parents I met at my dd's school last year I would have been very surprised if any of them would be into doing that (or available - seems like most or all of them worked during the day). Of course it never hurts to ask!

#40 of 47 Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Just wanted to add that I believe I had h1n1 virus about a month and a half ago. Runny nose, congestion, sore throat, etc. and then exhaustion, lethargic, headache, then fever. DD, who is now 1 and still nursing, caught it as well. We both were over it within a few days, it sucked (like any flu) while we had it but was pretty mild all in all. (Yay, nursing!) Though we did not go to dr. or ER (why would we?) I am assuming it was h1n1 since August was not flu season, and hoping we have some immunity this fall.

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#41 of 47 Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM

For those of you who think you had H1N1...what made you think it was that, different from regular, old flu?
#42 of 47 Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 PM

I thought it might be H1N1 because normally don't get sick. Not even the regular flu. And honestly, it was like the regular flu with us except kids had high fevers (they rarely fever) of 103-104.5. We did actually get confirmed it in our case.

I'm glad we got it over with though LOL.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#43 of 47 Old 09-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Well, regular flu usually doesn't hit in August. And I don't get "regular" flu.

ETA: But it very well could have been, I'm no flu expert

forever following the lead of a colorful active little monkey
#44 of 47 Old 09-07-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
For those of you who think you had H1N1...what made you think it was that, different from regular, old flu?
1) I live in Mexico.
2) I've never gotten the flu in August. Ever.
3) I had the ridiculously bad headache that seems to be associated with this H1N1 more than a "regular" flu. It felt different from a migraine, but was just as painful and incapacitating.
#45 of 47 Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
From what I've read, H1N1 is EASILY overtaking other forms of the flu right now (not mixing with them, just taking over.) So statistically if you have a flu-like illness right now, it's likely to be H1N1.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#46 of 47 Old 09-07-2009, 01:54 PM

I'm student teaching at the school that 2 of my kids go to and I am surprised at the lack of basic hygiene. I use the hand sanitizer throughout the day, especially when one of my 1st graders ask me to open a snack that they've been trying to open with their mouth. I never notice teachers washing their hands before they eat, in the teacher's lunchroom. I always wash my hands...I wouldn't be able to eat, if I didn't. It'd be too gross. The kids never wash their hands before lunch or snack. And the desks are hardly ever washed, unless they do a messy project. I've asked about it, but they don't seem worried, at all.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#47 of 47 Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page