Swine Flu can anyone calm me down? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EXTREMELY terrified of it! There have been times when it didn't bother me but we have alot of it here in my area and a little boy just died with it so that makes my anxiety about it go through the roof. I'm trying to eat healthy and get my dd's to eat healthy but dh doesn't believe that will help so he feeds them whatever they want to eat. Come to find out though that due to the cytokine storm it doesn't help to be healthy How can a healthy immune system fail? Doesn't make sense. I don't know how to plan or what to do if it hits us! It scares me to go to the dr cuz i don't want the vaccines, tamaflu, or antibiotics but dh tells me thats the only thing to do!
UGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
#2 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM

I'm right here with you. My little girl-my precious little daughter-is set for her first day of school tomorrow. I have been begging my dh to let me keep her home. There's been a lot of it here, too. Dh WILL NOT agree to "denying her her first day of school," although we have agreed to keep her home as soon as the first cases start coming in. But what if she's one of the first cases? I am fortunate, in that I work from home and can work evenings so I can look after dd during the day while dh works. There is zero joy in this "big event" (school) for me.

Maybe we can get some information on exactly what cytokene storms are? I think they have something to do with an exaggerated immune system response, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

I guess my greatest fear mirrors yours, in a way. I WISH we were one of those families who has practiced excellent nutrition, like fermented foods and lots of veggies and no sugar. The truth is, we aren't. We don't each much processed food (i.e. MacDonalds, Cheeze Whiz and such); but dd is, for whatever reason, very "picky" and I fear she is not a "mineral rich" child. I could never get her to take cod liver oil (I don't think) and I worry it's too late, anyway. She's very "healthy;" but again, I don't exactly know whether she's the right KIND of healthy. No underlying health conditions, but I feel I've failed her by not being more proactive. Dh sounds a lot like yours, too. So what can we do if we're just average, to help our families? Let's hang tough together. I hope I can support others who are scared, too. There MUST be stuff we can do!

Do you know anything about the little boy who died? Anything that could possibly have been an "underlying condition?" It sounds awful to want to know, it's awful for that family no matter what.
#3 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Life is full of risk. Riding in a car, crossing the street, playing on a playground, etc. Statistically this flu is unlikely to be serious, let alone deadly, in either of your daughters if they should get it. Sometimes we have to just accept that the worst could happen and keep living anyway. Fear robs us of joy.

Calm down because all the worry and fretting is doing no good. I am giving my kids vitamin D3 (2000 IU) and taking it myself. My kids are at extra risk due to underlying conditions. Still, I know it's unlikely they will be harmed and I can't spend my life worrying it away. Try to relax.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 01:08 PM

sbgrace, if there's a lesson for me in this, what you wrote is IT. I don't think the pandemic is here to TEACH me this lesson, but I know I have to learn it somehow. When all this is over, I hope to emerge a more mature, empathic, seasoned adult who is able to show courage and leadership to my family when things get tough. Health to your littles and to all.
#5 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To me, it looks like the biggest difference this year is that a lot more of us are likely to get influenza. It's been years since I've been sick enough to think I've actually got real influenza, but this year it seems more likely. I still think the likelihood of it harming us is quite low, it's reportedly not worse than flu any other year, just more people are getting it.

Putting together a toolbox of ideas to use once we start to get sick has been helpful to me, even when we weren't eating well. I order sodium ascorbate online, the 3-pound container of Now brand, to help with illnesses. Extra zinc when someone is sick wouldn't hurt and would probably be helpful (I give it all the time for other reasons, so I'm not sure on short-term dosing for illnesses), and maybe extra vitamin A to have on-hand as well. I've used Carlson's vitamin A capsules before, it was available locally and it helped.

We like homemade stock for soup, it's easy to make ahead and reduce and freeze, it's a comfort food for us. We also like making Aviva Romm's garlic lemonade when we're sick, I actually have some in the kitchen now. I think a few supportive things when we're sick can really lessen the likelihood that we'll have bad outcomes. No guarantees, but that's the way it is.

Having a toolbox of ideas prepared beforehand has helped me through a lot of illnesses with the kids, and it's eased my mind.
#6 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 PM

Yes we too are having a tool box. Just get prepared. There are tons of threads on the swine flu do you can put together some ideas.
Sounds like nutrition is a thing for you??? I would at least cut out sugar because that lowers your immune system, it depletes minerals.
#7 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 04:40 PM

I hope it will ease your mind to hear this...My 5 yo DD had it, and it really wasn't that bad! She did have a very high fever, but she recovered quickly. She is a healthy resilient kid and it really wasn't any different from the flu that she and her older sister had last flu season.

Certainly you want to take precautions like good hand washing, good nutrition, and good rest, but at least for us it wasn't as big a deal as the media is making it out to be.
#8 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Thanks, pink gal! Glad to know your lo is okay. Stories like yours make a big difference heading into school tomorrow! I must say, if we get it and get through it, I will personally feel some relief if it's sooner rather than later. But it will be scary somehow, just knowing what it is. I see those H1N1 symbols and I just freeze.
#9 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM

This article explains cytokine storms and H1N1, and how to support your immune system without supporting the cytokine storm:
http://www.the-health-gazette.com/he...ral-antivirals

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#10 of 47 Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
This article explains cytokine storms and H1N1, and how to support your immune system without supporting the cytokine storm:
Great article, thanks!
#11 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM

I just talked to ds's dr about this yesterday (he is ill with some "flu like symptoms" (fever, cough, snotty nose, diarrhea and vomiting) but we don't think he has the flu). The dr was telling me that the've seen some outbreaks of the flu (both H1N1 and other strands) in our city (and, specifically, there's been H1N1 at ds's school). BUT that it appears really mild right now- that kids are doing fine after a couple days home resting and getting fluids. Kids, around here anyway, are not being hit hard with it. It's just another illness that they get, rest, and recover from.

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#12 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 10:04 AM

I agree that everyone needs to calm down. This "pandemic" is full of fear mongering and propaganda and it's getting way out of hand IMHO. Swine flu is just that--the flu. Just like the "regular" flu.. it's oppurtunistic...if you have an underlying condition, you are at greater risk. And just the same--good nutrition, hand washing, and plenty of vit D are the keys to prevention. SA on hand for treatment as always.
#13 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM

How can I ensure "good hand washing" at dd's school? I just dropped her off at kindergarten for the first time today and there are so.many.kids. I don't know if they wash their hands before snacks. Is it paranoid to ask the teacher/principal? They're supposed to be taking "extra measures" around infection control. I'm worried they'll say it takes too much education time away to wash 25 kids' hands in every class before snack. But I know I've read studies saying a regular handwashing program can significantly cut down infection and absentee rates among primary students. Can anyone direct me to that study? I might have some ammo if I could find it.

Do hand sanitizers work? I could put a bottle in dd's snack pack and drill it into her to use it before snack, or just ask to go to the bathroom before snack so she can wash her hands. But I have, ahem, OCD; which is NOT HELPING. So it's hard to know what's rational and what's germ phobia.
#14 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
I am giving my kids vitamin D3 (2000 IU) and taking it myself.
Can I ask what specific brand or type you are giving them? Is it a chewable?

carfreemama - I can sympathize with your freak out. I'm not freaking out about this but I remember the first time my kids got lice, my anxiety really maxed out. I just don't like any type of bugs and it all seemed so overwhelming. So I've been in freak out mode myself!
#15 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
Can I ask what specific brand or type you are giving them? Is it a chewable?
I'm using a capsule and just mix it in with food. It's tasteless or at least seems to be to them--it's not much powder. But I've seen people using Carlson's D drops around here and that might be an option if you don't want to mess with a capsule. I think there are gummy D things but you need a higher dose than you can reasonably/affordably get that way I suspect.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#16 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post
How can I ensure "good hand washing" at dd's school? I just dropped her off at kindergarten for the first time today and there are so.many.kids. I don't know if they wash their hands before snacks. Is it paranoid to ask the teacher/principal? They're supposed to be taking "extra measures" around infection control. I'm worried they'll say it takes too much education time away to wash 25 kids' hands in every class before snack. But I know I've read studies saying a regular handwashing program can significantly cut down infection and absentee rates among primary students. Can anyone direct me to that study? I might have some ammo if I could find it.

Do hand sanitizers work? I could put a bottle in dd's snack pack and drill it into her to use it before snack, or just ask to go to the bathroom before snack so she can wash her hands. But I have, ahem, OCD; which is NOT HELPING. So it's hard to know what's rational and what's germ phobia.
Ask them. I know around here schools are in fact scheduling hand washing times and they are using sanitizers too. I have OCD too though not in this area. You are over-reacting to this. But I know that's nearly impossible not to do at times. I'm sorry it's causing you so much anxiety. You know the key to managing OCD is indeed accepting the horrible possibilities/risk. To get relief in this you're going to need to find a way to do that I'm afraid. The more you think about this, and plan, and worry, and obsess and ask for reassurance and all the more consuming this is going to get for you because of your condition. I hope she comes home today full of excitement and that can take your mind off this area for at least a while.

#17 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM

Okay, so I picked dd up for lunch and asked her (casually, I hope!) if she washed her hands before snack. She said no and I asked why. She said none of the other kids did! I just don't get it. Shouldn't that just be BASIC hygiene? Preferably before and after, so they're not touching their mouths and then all these surfaces. It makes me worry about how seriously they're trying to improve their practices. So what do I do? Dd says there's a bathroom, so I asked her if she could ask to use it before she eats anything. I do not want to come across as the hysterical parent (yet), but she might as well be ingesting all those buggies if she isn't washing her hands before eating. Do I ask the teacher? Or just ask the teacher to make sure she washes her hands?
#18 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm surprised they don't wash their hands before eating. Our school has the kids wash their hands first thing when they come to school. They was before snack and before lunch, after petting an animal (they sometimes have a guinea pig), and I think after they come in from being outside.

Interesting article linked, too, but I believe it is about the avian flu (H5N1) rather than the swine flue (H1N1) so not sure it would all hold true for H1N1, too.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#19 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM

My experience: we have H1N1 in the house right now. It seems very mild, minimal cough/congestion. Temp was up to 103 briefly yesterday and now back down to 100. 6 kids went home form DS's class in 2 days (Mon/Tues), so we went to the Dr to have a swab & see what it was. She offered tamiflu but also said it has as many side effects of upset stomach, etc so we skipped it. I had a temp of 99 on Mon then nothing more.

My understanding of the danger of this is that as compared to seasonal flu, more people will get it, because it is novel. So, a certain # of people will have complications, a certain number of people will die, just like from seasonal flu. Trouble being that if a much higher percentage have it, it will strain Drs offices and hospitals much more than a normal flu season, possibly making it harder to get care for complications if needed.

My 2 cents: Now that I see how mild it is (so far knock on wood!) I am glad we are getting it early. Our school started Aug 3rd, even a week or so before most around here, and our state is a month or so before many others, so I would guess we are ahead of the curve.
#20 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Thank you both for your replies about the handwashing thing. At least now I feel I can ask. Since dd will be coming home for lunch, that's not such a big deal. But the snack thing is. I will ask someone about this; the teacher? Principal? I would feel reassured if they were at least trying to keep it under control.

But it's a lightbulb moment to think asking for reassurance is fueling this. You're absolutely right! It also helps me stop being in denial about actually having OCD. Boy, can I see it now. I have meds to start and my therapist to see and I've been resisting both. I think I hijacked your thread, joy2bmom. I need to take a step back now. Thanks everyone.
#21 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Oh, wanted to add Rainbow Light makes some super yummy gummy vitamin D3s. The kids is 400IU and orange. The adult is 1000IU and lemon. They're both like gumdrops.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#22 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 02:18 PM

beanma, I have those gummy d3s and dd loves them, but if I read people right she should be getting 2000 mcg a day; so that's 5 gummies a day. She would love that. I also have the quick-dissolve SISU brand vitamin D, so maybe a combination? Also, what about the balance with vitamin A someone talked about? How do you get that right? Would a whole-foods multivitamin, supplemented by extra D3, work it all out?

Okay, I guess I'm not backing off.
#23 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
beanma, I have those gummy d3s and dd loves them, but if I read people right she should be getting 2000 mcg a day; so that's 5 gummies a day. She would love that. I also have the quick-dissolve SISU brand vitamin D, so maybe a combination? Also, what about the balance with vitamin A someone talked about? How do you get that right? Would a whole-foods multivitamin, supplemented by extra D3, work it all out?

Okay, I guess I'm not backing off.
FCLO will supply A and D blue ice brand is best
#24 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralWoman View Post
My experience: we have H1N1 in the house right now. It seems very mild, minimal cough/congestion. Temp was up to 103 briefly yesterday and now back down to 100. 6 kids went home form DS's class in 2 days (Mon/Tues), so we went to the Dr to have a swab & see what it was. She offered tamiflu but also said it has as many side effects of upset stomach, etc so we skipped it. I had a temp of 99 on Mon then nothing more.

My understanding of the danger of this is that as compared to seasonal flu, more people will get it, because it is novel. So, a certain # of people will have complications, a certain number of people will die, just like from seasonal flu. Trouble being that if a much higher percentage have it, it will strain Drs offices and hospitals much more than a normal flu season, possibly making it harder to get care for complications if needed.

My 2 cents: Now that I see how mild it is (so far knock on wood!) I am glad we are getting it early. Our school started Aug 3rd, even a week or so before most around here, and our state is a month or so before many others, so I would guess we are ahead of the curve.
Thanks alot for sharing this here.
I'm really glad that you're having such a mild case in your household!
May I ask, are you giving anything in particular or just letting it run it's course?
Good luck you guys!
fp
#25 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Okay, mom61508, I'm ready to order. Which FCLO do you recommend? Dd doesn't like anything with spice, but there are several to choose from like "mediterranean" or "antioxidant free." Which is your favourite? And why fermented? Can I mix it with anything (it would have to be pretty enticing) to make dd take it? How does it taste? Thanks!
#26 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Okay, mom61508, I'm ready to order. Which FCLO do you recommend? Dd doesn't like anything with spice, but there are several to choose from like "mediterranean" or "antioxidant free." Which is your favourite? And why fermented? Can I mix it with anything (it would have to be pretty enticing) to make dd take it? How does it taste? Thanks!
We have the cinnamon flavor. From what I understand the fermented is better for you. I don't have the time at the moment to find it but I know there's tons of info in the traditional foods forum. I know they have a chocolate flavor too.

I put some in a little juice on a spoon for DD. OJ covers the taste the best i believe.

I find the flavor rather mild but it just depends on your palate
#27 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Okay, off to the TF forum. Chocolate might just do the trick, although it's on the cytokine-storm no-no list. Thanks for all your help!
#28 of 47 Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
AVOID kimchi Bummer
#29 of 47 Old 09-03-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannieP View Post
Thanks alot for sharing this here.
I'm really glad that you're having such a mild case in your household!
May I ask, are you giving anything in particular or just letting it run it's course?
Good luck you guys!
fp
He hasn't needed anything. I haven't needed to surpress his temp (normally I only do if it is over 103+ longer than I feel comfortable with). I have given him chewable c when he feels like it. I have pushed fluids (juice and sprite), even if he only took a few sips every few hours. He had no appetite, so I just kept offering a few crackers, grapes, etc.
Glad I read the no-no list in the cytokine(sp?) storm article, bcz sometimes I do give childrens echinacea, but he never seemed to need it.
Today his temp is nearly normal & I think he'll be back in school tomorrow, which is good cause I need a rest!
#30 of 47 Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 PM

We're just getting over it in my house. My older kids and dh had very mild cases - head ache, low grade fever, lots of snot and coughing for a couple of days, slight dip in energy and appetite levels. DS2 (almost 4) and I got hit a little harder. I had the worst headache I've ever had that was not a migraine, and I had several days where I wasn't able to do much but lay on the couch and hope my kids didn't kill themselves while I drifted in and out of sleep. Lots of coughing and mucous. I'm about 8 or 9 days out from the onset of symptoms, and I'm still feeling under the weather. All in all, though, it wasn't the worst sick I've ever been. I never felt like I needed to go to the ER or urgent care.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page