Excessive gas in 2 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-01-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, she had food allergies (gluten, dairy, corn, soy....am currently removing eggs as well since I am suspicious). She is gassy all the time - loud, long, quiet, you name it... Sometimes stinky, sometimes not. Sometimes wakes at night with gas pain and the gas seems to be stuck inside - if she passes any it sounds very forced. On two occasions she has gagged/vomitted as if she were ill but I think it was due to all the gas and the built up abdominal pain. I am assuming it is a lesser reaction food intollerance than her other ones but I don't even know where to begin. Could it also be something else? She eats like a horse (literally as much as an adult on many days) and she east FAST. I wonder if eating so much, so fast is a big factor. I'm sure it is but not so sure there isn't something more going on. I will talk to her ped about it but she returns from maternity leave in Oct. and I don't want to deal with her replacement. We've been out of probiotics for a while but she normally takes them - doesn't seem to be much difference one way or another. Could we be dealing with a yeast overgrowth again? She had this around 4-5 months of age but very different symptoms. I wonder if I should try some enzymes which is what cleared her up last time. Just thinking aloud here. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe a probiotic food would work better than a supp? Or, have you tried any of the high-power probiotic supps? I think there are both broad-spectrum ones or specific strains. Seems like a lot are cultured on dairy though, which is a bummer. I guess I'd probably try a food first, my kids love kimchee, I always run out. Pickles are easy, taste-wise too.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quick note: I meant she HAS allergies, not HAD. Wishful thinking I guess.

I have tried both a high powered probiotic (s. boulardi) and bubbies pickles in the past. Both times lead to multiple extended night wakings with SCREAMING in intense pain (the gas build up with insane) and gagging with some puking. (These are different times than I listed in my OP and happened a long time ago). I am completely terrified to try again. Perhaps her reaction means she really, really needs them and I need to start out with a miniscule amount. She had a few bites of pickle which caused the reaction and I don't recall how much s. boulardi but I remember looking back and kicking myself for giving her the full dose the first time. I don't think I can stomach having kimchee in the house since I hate it so much and I have always been meaning to make water kefir but feel overwhelmed. Maybe now is the time I just have to figure it out.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:20 PM

Hi M... good to see you. I would try enzymes first.
L

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! i had to leave for a bit. i was mdc'd out. now i feel like i might be ready to be here again. i will definitely try enzymes again.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Start a food journal if there are better and worse days/nights and see if you can figure out the culprit that way. Does she eat a lot of the regular gassy foods - beans, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

she loooves broccoli but doesn't eat a ton of it. usually once a week plus any leftovers the next day. she loves black beans, but again, never more than once a week usually. she does get gassier with beans and i can tell when a certain food is making her gassy like it would anyone, vs. this all the time, something definitely "off" in her gut gas. my mental food journaling is what led me to try taking eggs out but perhaps i actually need to start writing again. makes it hard when we're out and about all the time and she eats every hour! i mean, this kid EATS!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah, I'd start enzymes, using the low n slow method, that should start to starve out the critters and it (hopefully) won't be so dramatic to add probiotics after getting her used to the enzymes. My dd has had bad die-off from enzymes, which causes constipation in her, and I have to give extra magnesium to combat that. Also, we have recently started Klaire Labs infant probiotic and it is helping when no other probiotic has (and we have tried many - BioGaia, Culturelle, DDS, Pharmax, CustomProbiotics, PB8, Primadophilus, Natren Bifidus).

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 PM

I was nervous to try water kefir - not sure I had the time to figure out what to do ect. I finally ordered grains a month or so ago and have found it to be easy (only I forget sometimes how long the jar has been brewing for). I have also found it much easier to get my girls to drink the water kefir than trying to open caps of probiotics and mixing with juice/water. I just add a little juice of the day to the water kefir and they drink it right up - they actually call it fuzzy batch (because the first couple batches I made didn't have much carbonation and now they do). I also have a baby and I have just started giving her about 1/2 a tsp - just to get her started.

Good luck!
Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so the gas is WAY less with the addition of the enzymes. We are up to 1/2 capsule of Lacto with 3 meals and 2 main snacks. She still has smaller snacks without them. I cannot afford to give her a full capsule of Lacto each time and then also add a higher protease. These things are damn expensive. Do you think it'll be enough to just continue with 1/2 of Lacto indefinitely or maybe after this bottle is gone I should get Digest Gold instead since it's higher in proteases and do 1/2 caps of that. I just ordered my water kefir starter kit. Do you think after 1-2 weeks of enzymes I should try the kefir? How much? I'm terrified to have a screaming, gagging, puking kid during the night. Do I need to do this protocol for months on end? Help!?!? TIA

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

bump - would love some more guidance on the enzyme thing if anyone is willing and able.

User Tag List