UTI without fever? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2009, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my two year old has been saying for about 2 weeks that it hurts to poo. She has been using the potty for about 10 weeks now - and hasnt had any issues/misses in about 9.5 weeks. I just figured a little constipation or something - no biggie. Maybe she doesnt like the sensation, because she will eventually go - sometimes when her body just expells it on its own.

For the past 5 days she has been saying her "gina" hurts We ask her if it hurts to pee and she says yes. Her urine is not cloudy or bloody. She has no fever. I called the doc and he says because there is no fever he cant see her on an immediate call and the soonest regular appt I can get is 3 weeks!

Im wondering if you can have a uti without a fever? She still eats fine, is no more irritable than she normally is - it just hurts to pee and poo. Again, I dont know if the poo is a sensation thing.

Further, she got a shot last week (we do a delayed/selective schedule)the MMR, and for the past two days she has had really red rosy cheeks and has been warm to the touch - but again, no fever.

She did have a kidney infection when she was 8 months old..

Im unsure if waiting the 3weeks is the best option...any thoughts?

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 AM

My 23 month old DD is potty training as well and has been accident free for a few weeks and we got lazy with how she wipes. Her little arms are not long enough to wipe from front to back and we tought her to "pat" dry but lately she has been wiping back to front. Last week she started to say "ow" when she was peeing. The next day, same thing, still saying "ow" as she peed and getting some anxiety around using the potty. We took her to the clinic and sure enough it's a UTI. (They did a urine test). No fever, no rash, no symptoms other than her complaining about discomfort/pain while using the potty. The diagnosis was confirmed by our naturopathic doctor and she is taking homeopathic treatment that is working well- no more ow!

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :
Old 09-03-2009, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Most major drugstores sell UTI test strips (Azo is one brand, 3 test strips for around $10).

Yes, you can have a UTI without a fever. I have them all the time and I've only had a fever once (out of about 50 UTIs).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM

I agree, yes you can have an UTI without fever. In fact my daughter rarely has a fever with a UTI.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 09-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Fever with a UTI can be an indication that the infection has moved into the kidneys, so not having a fever is actually good. I agree with kjbrown92, you should try the UTI strips. If it shows indications of UTI, I don't think I would wait 3 weeks. You want to treat it before it gets worse and moves into the kidneys.

Hope your lo is feeling better soon!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 PM

Hi Could you please tell me what your naturopath doctor gave you to give your child with UTI?

User Tag List