The Cod Liver Oil Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There are 118 doses in each bottle so that's a 4 month supply for me. It works out cheaper than the other brands I could get locally like Carlson's.

:::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have 4 people in my family... 118 doses doesn't go so far when there's 4 of us... granted two are taking less than a full dose... I expect it'd be about a bottle every month or month and a quarter.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#63 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We have four people too, and we all take 2.5 ml. But if it keeps us healthy, it's worth it!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#64 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Ok - so some adults are just taking 2.5 ml?

The WAPF rec. are that I take 10 ml as a nursing mom. That means for our family of four - a bottle would last less than two weeks. YIKES! Frankly - I can't afford that at all. I actually don't really have a budget for less than that, but we'll see what we can do.

I think I'll drop down to 2.5ml - and it probably won't be so awful.
#65 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaniliaz View Post

The WAPF rec. are that I take 10 ml as a nursing mom. That means for our family of four - a bottle would last less than two weeks. YIKES! Frankly - I can't afford that at all. I actually don't really have a budget for less than that, but we'll see what we can do.

Of fermented CLO??? That's *a lot*!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#66 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

WAPF says:

Quote:
Based on these values, the dosage for the high-vitamin fermented cod liver oil is provided as follows:

* Children age 3 months to 12 years: 1/2 teaspoon or 2.5 mL, providing 4650 IU vitamin A and 975 IU vitamin D.
* Children over 12 years and adults: 1 teaspoon or 10 capsules, providing 9500 IU vitamin A and 1950 IU vitamin D.
* Pregnant and nursing women: 2 teaspoon or 20 capsules, providing 19,000 IU vitamin A and 3900 IU vitamin D.

Please note that the fermented cod liver oil contains many co-factors that may enhance the body's uptake and usage of vitamins A and D; in fact, many have reported results equivalent to those obtained from high-vitamin cod liver oil with half the recommended dose, that is ¼ teaspoon or 1.25 mL for children age 3 months to 12 years; ½ teaspoon or 5 capsules for children over 12 years and adults; and 1 teaspoon or 10 capsules for pregnant and nursing women.
So above they recommend 10 ml for lactating women, but suggest that half that dose might work. How old is your nursling? Mine is 3.5 y.o. & I just take the adult half dose of 2.5 ml & it seems fine for me. I could try to go up to 5 ml, but that seems like a lot.

#67 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM

I was just going to post that. I will cut it in half for all sorts of reasons. Cost and yuck factor being top of my list. My little one just turned one - so still nursing a ton.

Thanks for mentioning your dosage!
#68 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
So above they recommend 10 ml for lactating women, but suggest that half that dose might work. How old is your nursling? Mine is 3.5 y.o. & I just take the adult half dose of 2.5 ml & it seems fine for me. I could try to go up to 5 ml, but that seems like a lot.
10ml for nursing women...and higher for the FCLO/BO combo which we prefer b/c I had always understood that was WAP's practice...especially important I'd think for the Vit K2. For the FCLO/BO combo you'd need somewhere near 1T.
#69 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 PM

I've been taking the 2.5 ml dosage and have felt great. I'm glad I don't seem to need to up it since it's cheaper this way.

:::
#70 of 97 Old 09-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post
10ml for nursing women...and higher for the FCLO/BO combo which we prefer b/c I had always understood that was WAP's practice...especially important I'd think for the Vit K2. For the FCLO/BO combo you'd need somewhere near 1T.
Oh pampered_mom, you are *breaking* my heart. I have the FCLO/BO combo. HOW can I afford that much a day & how can I get it down the hatch?!
#71 of 97 Old 09-24-2009, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Oh pampered_mom, you are *breaking* my heart. I have the FCLO/BO combo. HOW can I afford that much a day & how can I get it down the hatch?!
We don't take the FCLO/BO combo but we take a K2 supplement with our FCLO & we eat a lot of raw butter.

#72 of 97 Old 09-24-2009, 01:57 PM

I read the entire thread

So those of you who tried the gel's which do you think is better the fruit or the chocolate?
#73 of 97 Old 09-24-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia View Post
We don't take the FCLO/BO combo but we take a K2 supplement with our FCLO & we eat a lot of raw butter.
Raw butter and grassfed butter are pretty much out of the question for us - given the amounts we would have to eat I'd rather go with the FCLO/BO combo. I just wish it had the same vitamin levels.

Quaniliaz
- I say you take what you can...some is better than none at all!
#74 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
can you tell me where, or how you got that info? because according to my math, a 1/2 tsp of the fclo/bo combo would provide 3000 ius of A and 750 ius of D, so around 3 tsp would provide 18000 ius of A and 4500 ius of D, which is close to the recommendations by WAP. However, that's only taking into account the measurable amount of A and D that's in the pinnacle product. I read an article about how the fermented clo contains levels of vitamin A that aren't measurable in the testing they use, and that is why WAP says you can take half as much of the fclo and still get the same benefits, which would come out to 1.5 tsp a day for pregnant/nursing women..

I also wanted to give a tip for people having trouble getting their clo down the hatch. I have the cinnamon tingle and the main problem DS and I have with it is that it burns the backs of our throats when we take it. So we squirt the teaspoon or however much into a tablespoon, and then fill it up with raw honey or agave nectar. Raw honey is my preference because of the enzymes and probiotics, but agave still gets it down! yum!!
#75 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

What do you guys think about Nature's Way CLO? 1 softgel has 1,250 IU (25%) of vit A and 135 IU (34%) of vit D.
#76 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 01:58 PM

IMO, the only CLO *I* would take is blue ice.
#77 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusBeans View Post
So those of you who tried the gel's which do you think is better the fruit or the chocolate?
I'm not a fan of the chocolate. It is the only FCLO flavor I've tried, and admittedly I hate anything even vaguely fish flavored - but I could get down some other brand of non-fermented Orange flavored clo much easier. So it could be the FCLO that is hard for me...but the chocolate flavor doesn't help - and it really limits what you can mix it with. For example chocolate in apple sauce just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Quote:

Quaniliaz
- I say you take what you can...some is better than none at all!
True!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
can you tell me where, or how you got that info? because according to my math, a 1/2 tsp of the fclo/bo combo would provide 3000 ius of A and 750 ius of D, so around 3 tsp would provide 18000 ius of A and 4500 ius of D, which is close to the recommendations by WAP. However, that's only taking into account the measurable amount of A and D that's in the pinnacle product. I read an article about how the fermented clo contains levels of vitamin A that aren't measurable in the testing they use, and that is why WAP says you can take half as much of the fclo and still get the same benefits, which would come out to 1.5 tsp a day for pregnant/nursing women..

I also wanted to give a tip for people having trouble getting their clo down the hatch. I have the cinnamon tingle and the main problem DS and I have with it is that it burns the backs of our throats when we take it. So we squirt the teaspoon or however much into a tablespoon, and then fill it up with raw honey or agave nectar. Raw honey is my preference because of the enzymes and probiotics, but agave still gets it down! yum!!
3 t = 1T - but I'm glad to hear that half as much would probably be adequate!

And thanks for the tip - I'm going to try it! DD might go for that, too.
#78 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
What do you guys think about Nature's Way CLO? 1 softgel has 1,250 IU (25%) of vit A and 135 IU (34%) of vit D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
IMO, the only CLO *I* would take is blue ice.
Yulia - I think the issue is that Blue Ice is the only brand of CLO who's processing doesn't take out Vit A & D. The other brands' processing destroys those vitamins and then synthetic vitamins are added back in. Those synthetics don't work in the same way as natural sources, and there can be problems with assimilation & toxicity.

If that is wrong, someone please respond - I've really done very little research on the matter - just giving my very basic understanding (based on something like 2 articles...)
#79 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yulia - I think the issue is that Blue Ice is the only brand of CLO who's processing doesn't take out Vit A & D. The other brands' processing destroys those vitamins and then synthetic vitamins are added back in. Those synthetics don't work in the same way as natural sources, and there can be problems with assimilation & toxicity.

If that is wrong, someone please respond - I've really done very little research on the matter - just giving my very basic understanding (based on something like 2 articles...)
Does Blue Ice have softgels? I did get their fermented CLO once and my son said it tasted aweful and poor dd actually vomited twice while trying to take it. They do very well with Nature's Way softgels, even though they do chew them.
#80 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouthead View Post
Ummm....we're saying the same thing, there are 3t in 1T. As for the whole there are levels of vit A (or D for that matter) that aren't "measurable"...I guess I'm not really sure about that. Add that to the list of things about GP and their product that make me a little bit uncomfortable. However, there's nothing wrong with starting at 1 1/2 teaspoon and seeing how that goes...because as I've said, any amount of cod liver oil you get is better than nothing at all.
#81 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
Does Blue Ice have softgels? I did get their fermented CLO once and my son said it tasted aweful and poor dd actually vomited twice while trying to take it. They do very well with Nature's Way softgels, even though they do chew them.
Yes, that's what my dh takes. Not sure if they'd taste very good chewed up though - I believe you're just meant to swallow them whole.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#82 of 97 Old 09-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianojazzgirl View Post
Yes, that's what my dh takes. Not sure if they'd taste very good chewed up though - I believe you're just meant to swallow them whole.
How large are the softgels? Nature's Way are about the size of two peas and it works well with my kiddos.
#83 of 97 Old 09-26-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Ummm....we're saying the same thing, there are 3t in 1T. As for the whole there are levels of vit A (or D for that matter) that aren't "measurable"...I guess I'm not really sure about that. Add that to the list of things about GP and their product that make me a little bit uncomfortable. However, there's nothing wrong with starting at 1 1/2 teaspoon and seeing how that goes...because as I've said, any amount of cod liver oil you get is better than nothing at all.
I know there's 3 teaspoons in 1 Tablespoon
When I was asking about the math, I didn't realize that you weren't taking into account the recommendation to only take 1/2 as much FCLO as the recommended amount for the HVCLO.
#84 of 97 Old 10-15-2009, 12:17 AM

okay ladies- i am pretty new to all of this, so bear with me

i am about to order a bottle of fermented cod liver oil. do you feel the butter oil/FCLO blend by blue ice is the best way to go?

i thought i had read somewhere that the x factor is only released (or something like that) when the two were taken together?

what are you thoughts? should i just stick to the regular FCLO and skip the butter oil? what do you do?

also, whats your favorite flavor?

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#85 of 97 Old 10-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Anybody giving their older kids, ie 9 plus 3 ml? I have just started giving mine this amount, I have upped my intake to the same (I'm not nursing or pregnant and have no intention of being). I don't have a particular reason for the increase, I guess it is a kind of experiment.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#86 of 97 Old 10-18-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

I've given all of my kids between 2.5-3 ml.

#87 of 97 Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 PM

subbing
#88 of 97 Old 10-29-2009, 02:56 PM

I am interested in the capsules, but am wondering if i would be able to open them up and put them in something for my 3yo? I have a strong gag reflex and do not think i would be able to handle the liquid, and i really dont think he would take it, either.
Thanks!

DS 5-11-06
#89 of 97 Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM

Another (not fermented!!!) GOOD CLO option????

Please share if you know anything about this company/product!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
#90 of 97 Old 10-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
Another (not fermented!!!) GOOD CLO option????

Please share if you know anything about this company/product!!!
It is the same brand available from Radiant Life, nothing new.

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page