Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In the village
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
I am interested in the capsules, but am wondering if i would be able to open them up and put them in something for my 3yo? I have a strong gag reflex and do not think i would be able to handle the liquid, and i really dont think he would take it, either.
I just went to the HFS looking to buy either nordic or carlsons (FCLO not an option right now), but I have a very strong gag relfex, so the the lady suggested this oil:
i tired some there, It is was good! I was shocked.
But im not sure about the quality/process? And the EPA/DHA balance? Can anyone chime in? Here are the nutrition facts:
its molecularly distilled not sure if thats bad or good?
I don't know about their process or sourcing, but tbh that's not what has stopped me from buying it (there's a rep that comes in once a month to our local co-op who pushes this product hard). For two teaspoons of the product you get only 2IU of Vitamin D and 84IU of Vitamin A.
To get the Vitamin D levels most folks are looking for on this thread that would mean somewhere near 325 Tablespoons just to get near 1950IU for children over 12/adults and then you'd be getting a whole lot more Vitamin A than you'd probably want....also, there are only 31 Tablespoons in the entire bottle.
If you're wanting to use it as a DHA/EPA supplement the I suppose it'd be fine - although I don't know enough about DHA/EPA ratios to know if this particular product has a good one or not. I'd also be less than enthused with the Omega-6s in the product as I have a feeling we have enough of that in our diet already.
If you're looking for Vit A/D without getting the FCLO then your best bet is Nordic Naturals Arctic D.
|GOOD (and available in Stores):
* Nordic Naturals Vitamin D Cod Liver Oil (NOT Nordic Naturals Regular Cod Liver Oil)
* Carlson's Cod Liver Oil 1,000 mg capsules
|The high-vitamin fermented cod liver oil is sold as a food so does not contain vitamin levels on the label. However, after numerous tests, the approximate values of A and D have been ascertained at 1900 IU vitamin A per mL and 390 IU vitamin D per mL. Thus 1 teaspoon of high-vitamin fermented cod liver oil contains 9500 IU vitamin A and 1950 IU vitamin D, a ratio of about 5:1.
Based on these values, the dosage for the high-vitamin fermented cod liver oil is provided as follows:
* Children age 3 months to 12 years: 1/2 teaspoon or 2.5 mL, providing 4650 IU vitamin A and 975 IU vitamin D.
* Children over 12 years and adults: 1 teaspoon or 10 capsules, providing 9500 IU vitamin A and 1950 IU vitamin D.
* Pregnant and nursing women: 2 teaspoon or 20 capsules, providing 19,000 IU vitamin A and 3900 IU vitamin D.
|As of Spring, 2009, we recommend the following brands of cod liver oil:
In the United States
BEST (Available Online/Mail Order):
* Green Pasture Products: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil, (402) 858-4818, greenpasture.org
* Dr. Ron's Ultra-Pure: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil, 1-877-472-8701, drrons.com
* Radiant Life: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil and Premier High-Vitamin Cod Liver Oil, (888) 593-8333, 4radiantlife.com
* Health Alert: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil (831) 372-2103 or toll-free 888-525-5955, healthalertstore.com
* Wolf River Naturals: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil, wolfrivernaturals.com
* Natural Health Advocates: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil, 888-257-8775, building-health.com/
* Traditional Cook: Blue Ice High-Vitamin Fermented Cod Liver Oil, traditionalcook.com/specialtyproducts.shtml
* See our list of local chapter leaders who sell fermented cod liver oil.
|49 members and 9,423 guests|
|1stbabe39single , Ajbaby , bluefaery , captain optimism , chickabiddy , Crimson8 , Deborah , Dessylove , Emzachsmama , Fox-fern , frugalmama , girlspn , greenemami , hillymum , Iron Princess , JadePlant , JessieBird , katelove , kindofcrunchy82 , lilmissgiggles , LiLStar , lilyofjudah , Linda on the move , mamabear0314 , mammafairy , Milk8shake , moominmamma , MylittleTiger , Nemi27 , oaksie68 , pers , prosciencemum , Ratchet , rubelin , SandiMae , sarafl , spiderdust , Springshowers , Tigerle , tournesol , Tracy11360 , Tweety_Bird , typebug , VS Angela|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.|