Dermographism / Dermatographism??? Chronic Hives? Itchy people? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-09-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help, I have dermographism! I've had it my whole life. If I get scratched or scratch myself I will welt up in the exact shape of the injury. BUT, in the last several months I have had a flare up of chronic hives, common in dermographic patients, where I am itchy all the time! Extreme itch when scratching makes it worse! The seams on my clothes, jewelry, my sheets..anything can set it off. I've been given Claritin, Zyrtec, and Benadryl. Right now I'm waiting on an allergist apt to get something that will control this. I'm getting patches of excema looking areas on my skin from the scratching. I will scratch in my sleep, drawing blood, I have bruises on my legs from scratching. I need help. It's an over reactive histamine reaction in the skin resulting from external contact.

I can't sleep, I am miserable. I have been putting all my projects on hold due to this, I can't focus on anything when I'm constantly fighting the itchies. Anyone else have itchy skin?

Crap, maybe I should have put this under allergies? Oh well, mods can move it if need be...

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#2 of 7 Old 09-09-2009, 10:52 AM

I'm chronically itchy, though I don't get hives like you do when I scratch.

Stinging nettles are very good for it. I used to take Quercetin and Stinging nettles daily. Quercetin is good for allergies in general.

Also, I believe mine is linked to estrogen. I was on the pill for years to regulate my cycles and when I went off to get pregnant, my itching subsided. I didn't connect the 2, just thought pregnancy agreed with me, and then I went back on very briefly and decided to go right off again!!

Oatmeal baths are nice too.

All my laundry stuff is super natural, scent-free. No fabric softeners at all, not even the natural kind because they stay in the fibers.

Honestly, when I'm at my worst, benadryl is the only thing that enables me to sleep. You might also try a liver detox. I forget why, but there's a connection to itching and liver function.

slingboy.gifTaking care of 2 girls:energy.gifblahblah.gifb& a babyboy.gif born on his mama's birthday and a few chicken3.gif
#3 of 7 Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 AM

My niece gets chronic hives and the Hyland Hives tablets are helpful for her.
Also topically she uses a natural Itch Relief Cream that really helps - I think it has nettles and aloe in it.
#4 of 7 Old 09-09-2009, 11:43 AM

*sigh*
I have had this for 25 years or more... hugs to you, it's such a hassle. I wish I had great words of wisdom, but I don't. I've been to ten or twelve dermatologists and allergists, and they all tell me the same thing. No new advances, good luck and pick your poison. I've been on Atarax (hydroxyzine) for about 20 years. It keeps my symptoms reasonably under wraps, doesn't make me sleepy, and it's very cheap. I take less than one 25mg tab a day.

I still don't know what sets off my hives tho- I've always maintained that the order is itch, scratch, hives.... ie my scratching causes hives not my hives cause scratching, and trying to get a doc to listen is almost impossible, and maybe it doesn't matter. I'm on estrogen right now and it's not making the itching worse, foods don't seem to do it... sometimes I will just be sitting and my neck just itches like crazy- then I get out the Benadryl and hope I don't touch it. People always say "what's wrong with your neck?" Other spots flare up too, just mostly the one place, visible of course! And if I don't take the atarax my whole person itches and flares.

The only thing I have noticed is that in the course of my battle with Hashimoto's, my itching is "better" under control when my thyroid is dialed in low. Good luck...
Sara
#5 of 7 Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzer Beater View Post
*sigh*
I have had this for 25 years or more... hugs to you, it's such a hassle. I wish I had great words of wisdom, but I don't. I've been to ten or twelve dermatologists and allergists, and they all tell me the same thing. No new advances, good luck and pick your poison. I've been on Atarax (hydroxyzine) for about 20 years. It keeps my symptoms reasonably under wraps, doesn't make me sleepy, and it's very cheap. I take less than one 25mg tab a day.

I still don't know what sets off my hives tho- I've always maintained that the order is itch, scratch, hives.... ie my scratching causes hives not my hives cause scratching, and trying to get a doc to listen is almost impossible, and maybe it doesn't matter. I'm on estrogen right now and it's not making the itching worse, foods don't seem to do it... sometimes I will just be sitting and my neck just itches like crazy- then I get out the Benadryl and hope I don't touch it. People always say "what's wrong with your neck?" Other spots flare up too, just mostly the one place, visible of course! And if I don't take the atarax my whole person itches and flares.

The only thing I have noticed is that in the course of my battle with Hashimoto's, my itching is "better" under control when my thyroid is dialed in low. Good luck...
Sara
hmm, I have thyroid issues too. just multinodular goiter though, no low or high levels that I'm aware of. getting tested next week.

i know what you mean about the scratching causing the hives. I itch somewhere, if I scratch it, all hell breaks loose. It will set off a whirlwind of hives and itchy craziness that leaves me almost crying. I hate it. I literally have to wear pants now because of the sad condition of my legs due to scratching. And it's over 90 deg here. I flipping am losing my mind....I *try* so hard to not scratch but it's inevitable. I was hoping for Atarax since it's what's been so helpful to hive sufferers from my research. please stay posted so I can ask you more questions if I need to after I go to the allergist.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#6 of 7 Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM

Have you had your thyroid antibodies tested? I've always thought that my itching and thyroid problems started around the same time, but those dots are not connected by a doctor. Hashi's is weird, I know I can control some symptoms with sythroid, but what is the reaction by your system when you have chronic low grade inflammation? If you are "allergic" to your thyroid, are you also reacting to it's products- the hormones you are putting into your system? Who knows. I subbed this thread, and I don't think I can help except virtual hugs.

About the covering thing- I hate hate hate it!!!! I've got scars on my arms from scratching, and even had a biopsy on my shoulder as a spot would.not.leave. me. So there is always something on my body somewhere I'm trying to hide. And sunshine makes me so much less reactive, I sit and tan in my own yard all the time.
#7 of 7 Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 PM

This exact scenario happened to me a few days ago and I immediately made a dermatologist appointment. 

Turns out getting dermographism/urticaria is very common for people in their twenties and it tends to last a few years sadly.

The doctor put me on a daily combination of one allegra and one zantac. The medicines each have different types of histamine blockers and so far they have combated my hives/itching completely. However, I have been experiencing side effects of chest pain/shortness of breath. When researching I have found that this is very rare and I'll probably just try another allergy medication combined with the zantac. I keep seeing that this is a 'minor' condition, but it is SO uncomfortable and if I am late on the medication, I instantly start itching.

Best of luck to you all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page