Labial Adhesion! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-24-2002, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I find it interesting that I've never read about this on the boards. Adhesion of the labia is when a "thin, pale, translucent membrane covers the vaginal os between the labia minora". Apparently my dd's almost entirely closes the "vaginal os". This condition is pretty common and poses no real risks of any sort, except the membrane could apply some pressure on the urethra and cause a urinary infection at some point. If left untreated, it usually resolves itself at puberty, when the body's estrogen levels rise. Now, that means that the common form of treatment and what has been prescribed for my 19 month old is an Estrogen Cream, "PREMARIN". I'm alarmed at the idea of applying an estrogen cream on any part of my baby! Yet, what other, natural treatment is available. I can't just wait until puberty because of the degree of closure she shows. Has anyone been through this one? ANYONE?

(the mother formerly known as mama osi )
#2 of 5 Old 04-24-2002, 06:56 PM

i definitely remember this was discussed on this board once. do a search for it.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#3 of 5 Old 04-24-2002, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

I did, first thing -- nothing came up!

dee
#4 of 5 Old 04-24-2002, 07:48 PM

#5 of 5 Old 04-24-2002, 08:43 PM

my baby had labial adhesion and she was almost all the way closed up. i had no idea what to look for, or it would have been caught sooner. anyway, the doctor dipped a q-tip in vaseline and gently swabbed the area, using very light pressure, until she was free of the adhesion. we were advised to "lube her up" with vaseline so nothing would stick "down there." she's been fine ever since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page