How Much Vit D to Give dd For swine Flu? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd was exposed to the H1N1 virus recently and tonight has a sore throat and is feeling achey.
How much vit d should I give her?
I keep reading here about ppl taking 50k at a time - that seems so high - but I guess it's just for 3 days right?
She's almost 13 and weighs over 100 lbs - also she tested low in vit d a couple weeks ago so I know she's deficient to begin with.
Any ideas???
TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone???
Please - she's sleeping now but I'm really wondering what to give her when she wakes up.
Thanks!
#3 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 02:28 PM

How low?

I had to take 9,000 IU per day to correct my levels. The doctor prescribed 50K per week.
I now take 5000 IU to maintain. I am an adult but 118 pounds so similar size wise.

You aren't going to overdose her with a huge dose once. 50K would be fine. Make sure you're using a D3 form. I'd do the 50K or close to it since you know she's deficient and she's 13 but what did her doctor recommend?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
How low?

I had to take 9,000 IU per day to correct my levels. The doctor prescribed 50K per week.
I now take 5000 IU to maintain. I am an adult but 118 pounds so similar size wise.

You aren't going to overdose her with a huge dose once. 50K would be fine. Make sure you're using a D3 form. I'd do the 50K or close to it since you know she's deficient and she's 13 but what did her doctor recommend?
41 (30-80) so not horrible - her little sister was 24 (30-80)
Doc suggested 1k daily but I've been giving her 2k. He really doesn't seem that clued in to vit d levels honestly. I had to beg for the tests in the first place.

So what do you think about dosing now that she's coming down w/ something (possibly the dreaded flu)
Would you give 50k in this situation?
Thanks very much for the input.
Sandy
#5 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 03:22 PM

Dr Eisenstein said in his webinar that children over 100lbs were to be given the adult dosage. You can visit the archived webinar at homefirst.com. Just scroll down to the Vitamin D webinar.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#6 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
41 (30-80) so not horrible - her little sister was 24 (30-80)
Doc suggested 1k daily but I've been giving her 2k. He really doesn't seem that clued in to vit d levels honestly. I had to beg for the tests in the first place.

So what do you think about dosing now that she's coming down w/ something (possibly the dreaded flu)
Would you give 50k in this situation?
Thanks very much for the input.
Sandy
1K? How sad.
My 40ish boys are taking 2K a day and I was going for mostly maintenance. The sister with the 24 level neds aggressive treatment and to be followed so you can adjust doses up or down. Check the vitamin D council so you can get the testing done w/out the doctor if needed. She needs well more than 2000 to fix her levels IMO.
You can give a large dose to the 40ish kiddo if you'd like. It takes large doses over time to build toxicity and you know her level isn't high to start. Given her size I'd treat her like an adult in dosing in your place. But keep in mind she's at a decent level now so you aren't making up ground, you know? I wouldn't regularly go over 5K with her. But, again, a high dose won't hurt. Also, you can give her the entire week's at once without an issue. I read a vitamin D protocol for treating flu but I can't find my links.

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the responses.

sbgrace:
Quote:
The sister with the 24 level neds aggressive treatment and to be followed so you can adjust doses up or down. Check the vitamin D council so you can get the testing done w/out the doctor if needed. She needs well more than 2000 to fix her levels IMO.
What would you be giving in this situation? I've got her on 4k/daily. More?

Quote:
You can give a large dose to the 40ish kiddo if you'd like. It takes large doses over time to build toxicity and you know her level isn't high to start. Given her size I'd treat her like an adult in dosing in your place. But keep in mind she's at a decent level now so you aren't making up ground, you know? I wouldn't regularly go over 5K with her. But, again, a high dose won't hurt.
I gave her 5k this morning and her sore throat is GONE. Could be a coincidence of course. I also gave her clo and 2k vit c, plus a tumbler of freshly juiced red grapes and apples from our tree. Within an hour she was out riding her horse!
Not sure what to make of it...
I do think we had the swine flu last spring. Perhaps this time around is just weaker - if that's what this even is. The girl who she picked it up from on friday is still really sick.

Thanks again all.
Sandy
#8 of 24 Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
Thanks so much for the responses.

sbgrace:

What would you be giving in this situation? I've got her on 4k/daily. More?

I was 24 after taking 5000 IU daily for two months. At that point my doctor suggested 9,000 IU per day and re-test in two months so we could dose up or down. We did downward as my level then was higher than we needed to be. I was 118 pounds. How old is the daughter with the low level? I don't know how to dose children who are deficient as neither of mine really were. I guess my thought on her would be re-test to see where she is. If she's improving well you keep doing what you're doing. If she's not you increase it.

#9 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 05:07 PM

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about Vitamin D in this group. It’s the Swine Flu issue that nobody is discussing — but important to 58 million at-risk American kids. “Is vaccination safe or not?” is NOT the question.

Tens of million of kids are at increased risk of catching H1N1 and other nasties due to vitamin deficiency.

So why aren't we talking about how to successfully avoid the flu using Vitamin D and improving our immune systems? 2 weeks ago we saw 19 deaths among children -- the biggest single-week jump on record. 58 million American children can immediately, safely address Swine Flu prevention (and better health in general!) yet all the news media can talk about is the safety of an obviously un-safe vaccine.

Kids, in particular, cannot fight flu bugs/viruses when deficient in vitamins — and most are NOT getting essentials like Vitamin D. Even milk drinkers are NOT able to ward off viruses — don’t be fooled. No, fortified milk won’t fix that problem.

Vitamin D creates over 200 antimicrobial peptides in your body — that’s a fancy word for “natural antibiotics.” Think about that for a minute. Over 200 fighters in your body. When your vitamin D level falls so does your natural ability to fight colds, influenza and other respiratory infections — including the H1N1 virus. Simple. So, gimme some Vitamin D right?!

But many pediatricians are quick to present you with the new (dangerous, barely tested on humans!) Swine Flu shot. Let’s start with the one we’ve always known about. You know — vitamins. D in particular. No, doctors aren’t evil or bad people nor are care givers who follow their advice. ALWAYS follow your doctor’s advice but realize docs are people too. Get opinions (in the case of Vitamin D, talk to a dermatologist!), get educated yourself.

Fact: You can rarely get enough Vitamin D from eating or drinking stuff.

Did you know? We actually produce vitamin D ourselves — mainly through a process starting with sun exposure. Yes, sunlight.

Here’s what you can do today to prevent Swine Flu infection. I did it this weekend here in Chicago thanks to some wonderful weather!

1. Expose yourself to the sun for about 30-50 minutes per day on average — revealing as much of the skin as possible.

2. Add olive leaf extract into your foods.

3. Add fresh, organic food into your child’s meals — creatively emphasize dark green leafy vegetables.

Diana Raleva
#10 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencravers View Post
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about Vitamin D in this group.
Wow, really? I feel like I'm beating a dead horse every time I bring it up (which is often if you look through all my posts lol).

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

#11 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 PM

I, too, feel like there is a ton of vitamin D discussion on this board lately. Which, I agree, is a good thing.

Many, many people will not produce adequate vitamin D from the sun despite lots of exposure. I've linked studies before to support that. That's why knowing our levels is so important. But even if a person can make good vitamin D from the sun (again, do not take that for granted as many will not) Chicago is not at the right latitude to make vitamin D this time of year. Much of the Northern Hemisphere isn't.

Most of us need a supplement of D3. The dosing for maintaining levels is 1000 IU per 25 pounds. Healthy adults can safely take up to 9,000 IU per day. Kids 1 to 10 can do 2000 IU and that's very likely overly conservative. But the take away here is don't rely on the sun and check your levels to make sure you're ok. Most people who check aren't and need a supplement.

#12 of 24 Old 11-15-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about Vitamin D in this group.
Actually, I've been surprised (and happy) that there have been so many threads here about Vitamin D lately. A couple of years ago when I asked for advice, the benefits of supplementation weren't as widely known and responses were geared toward 'just go out in the sunlight.' Now supplementation is most often recommended here (in light of better research and education.)

Quote:
Did you know? We actually produce vitamin D ourselves — mainly through a process starting with sun exposure. Yes, sunlight.

1. Expose yourself to the sun for about 30-50 minutes per day on average — revealing as much of the skin as possible.
Unfortunately, this doesn't always work to get levels high enough. It all depends on genetics, skin tone, what type of sun rays you are in and latitude. The sun did NOT cut it for any of us. My level was only 19 while supplementing and with sunlight. Plus, if you have super-sensitive fair-skin like me, it probably isn't a good idea to get so many direct UVB rays due to the added skin cancer risk.

To the OP: I would probably give 10,000 IU per day for three days. Some recommend as high as 50,000 IU though. I don't think high supplementation will be in any way harmful for such a short period.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#13 of 24 Old 11-17-2009, 04:50 PM

Sorry -- I'm pretty new to the board so my quick scan didn't turn up much Vit D discussion. I'm glad to hear there is so much focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Unfortunately, this doesn't always work to get levels high enough. It all depends on genetics, skin tone, what type of sun rays you are in and latitude. The sun did NOT cut it for any of us. My level was only 19 while supplementing and with sunlight. Plus, if you have super-sensitive fair-skin like me, it probably isn't a good idea to get so many direct UVB rays due to the added skin cancer risk.

To the OP: I would probably give 10,000 IU per day for three days. Some recommend as high as 50,000 IU though. I don't think high supplementation will be in any way harmful for such a short period.
Excellent advice. What I've been trying to do lately is *simplify* for people -- people who, unlike you all, are not as willing to dive deep and a) understand and then b) apply. That's a big challenge... or at least it has been for me. That's why I'm making generalizations here.

If you all haven't listened to the Health Ranger's podcast on this subject you'll want to. He discusses interesting aspects -- such as the FDA, doctors and Vit D. Essentially the FDA cannot certify Vitamin D as treatment and never will. Additionally, patients expect their doctors to give them pills and find anyone proscribing sunlight (or Vit D for that matter!!) to be a crackpot.

http://www.naturalnews.com/podcasts/...2009-09-03.mp3

Diana Raleva
#14 of 24 Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Most of us need a supplement of D3. The dosing for maintaining levels is 1000 IU per 25 pounds. Healthy adults can safely take up to 9,000 IU per day. Kids 1 to 10 can do 2000 IU and that's very likely overly conservative. But the take away here is don't rely on the sun and check your levels to make sure you're ok. Most people who check aren't and need a supplement.
Again, I appreciate your stepping up and providing such excellent advice. I'm in violent agreement with you.

So what can we do to create more awareness? Like I said in my prior reply -- most people on the street find "go get your Vitamin D" to be a silly notion as compared to running out and sticking needles in themselves, Tami Flu, etc. Even physicians themselves are failing to promote Vid D's use or importance. Natural, proven choices are being overlooked and in some cases deemed to be insufficient ("how could a better immune system possibly protect me from H1N1?").

We live in a world where the FDA doesn't protect us so much as it PROMOTES those it's supposed to be regulating.

Diana Raleva
#15 of 24 Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 PM

What brand are you guys getting and does it have a taste?
#16 of 24 Old 11-18-2009, 02:29 AM

We've had Bluebonnet brand and Carlson brand. They come in capsules like Vitamin E and have no taste. I noticed on my thread you want to give it to your children. If they are too young to swallow capsules, I saw liquid and "dots". I don't know anything about them, though, beyond that they exist.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#17 of 24 Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichole View Post
What brand are you guys getting and does it have a taste?
I give the kids Carlson Ddrops, they're in a coconut oil base, but as far as I can tell, don't taste coconut-y, really don't have any taste at all.
#18 of 24 Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 PM

Is anyone using Cod liver oil as their child's source of D3? DD takes one by Healthspan.co.uk with orange flavor. I think it smells awful but she likes it.

wife to DH mama to DD14 Jan '08 and DS 6 Sept '10
and 2 rescued greyhounds
#19 of 24 Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 PM

I've read that CLO doesn't give enough D3 and if you were to give enough, then you'd be overdosing the vitamin A in CLO.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#20 of 24 Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Again, I appreciate your stepping up and providing such excellent advice. I'm in violent agreement with you.

So what can we do to create more awareness? Like I said in my prior reply -- most people on the street find "go get your Vitamin D" to be a silly notion as compared to running out and sticking needles in themselves, Tami Flu, etc. Even physicians themselves are failing to promote Vid D's use or importance. Natural, proven choices are being overlooked and in some cases deemed to be insufficient ("how could a better immune system possibly protect me from H1N1?").

We live in a world where the FDA doesn't protect us so much as it PROMOTES those it's supposed to be regulating.
I understand the frustration. I think the awareness in general is growing. My physician is doing Vitamin D tests left and right now and he's as mainstream and conservative as they come (live in a rural area/very limited choices). Now, he doesn't know that levels need to be 50 and he does prescription forms to correct rather than recommends D3 but he knows it's important. Also, there are lots of studies going on and information in the mainstream news. The Canadian Govt. is even studying Vitamin D levels and influenza to look at the link. I think there is growing awareness. I wish this stuff had been out there when I was pregnant and my kids were young.

#21 of 24 Old 11-24-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
I've read that CLO doesn't give enough D3 and if you were to give enough, then you'd be overdosing the vitamin A in CLO.
Thanks for that info! I checked it out and that can very well be true. It's important to check the ratios of A to D which shouldn't be more than 10 to 1. Really good to know.

Editing to say that if you are talking megadoses like you are in this thread then CLO is NOT the way obviously. I'm actuallly going to start D and a regular fish oil seperatly to avoid the A thing.

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#22 of 24 Old 11-27-2009, 07:42 PM

I realize this thread is old and the OP's situation has hopefully resolved, but assuming others are interested since it's still flu season...

From the Vitamin D Council:

Quote:
if you get this flu, take 2,000 IU per kg of body weight per day for a week

FYI, divide lbs by 2.2 to get kgs
#23 of 24 Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmom View Post
I realize this thread is old and the OP's situation has hopefully resolved, but assuming others are interested since it's still flu season...

Good to know! And yes, still relevant!

and 2 rescued greyhounds
#24 of 24 Old 11-28-2009, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmom View Post

Or to get it into numbers I can remember, that works out to about 9000 IU per 10 lbs body weight. Which is a heckuva lot, that's 135,000 IU per day for a 150-pound person.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page