vocal tic, neuro issue or something else?(video and link fixed) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-16-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've been debating posting this for a bit. i'll probably edited out the link after i get some opinions.

DS developed this tic in the spring. it sounded like he was tightening his throat and making a gargling-like sound while he exhaled. it last about 2-3 weeks and then faded off. it came back when school started. we're having a really rough time and are getting him evaluated. we suspect ADHD and SPD. a psychologist friend has also suggested Tourette syndrome as he has some of the signs. the tic has gone from a simple vocal sound while exhaling to throat clearing after the exhaling. in just the last few days DS has to take a large deep breath through his mouth after exhaling. it's not every time but i'd say at least a few times an hour. this video is from 10 days ago before the deep inhale started. sorry about the background noise. hopefully you can hear the gargling sound before he clears his throat. let me know what you make of it.

eta- i removed the link. PM me if you would like to see it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-17-2009, 01:27 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
yeah it sounds like a tic. And the definition of a "tic disorder" is having at least one tic. But tic disorders can be temporary. They also can go away for a long while and then reappear during puberty. I would be really hesitant to start labeling him with things like "Tourettes" at this point in time.

And just a huge note of caution...........ADD/ADHD drugs (Ritalin, etc.) can actually make tics worse!!!

You may want to research "Feingold diet" for ADHD. (But actually tics are generally more related to OCD.)

If he's having problems in school, I'd get him labeled with a "tic disorder" and then insist on a 504 meeting with the school. ("504" stands for section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 7 Old 09-17-2009, 10:22 AM

ITA with everything in the above post. My 9 year old has gone through a series of tics-- mostly motor tics but some vocal when he was around 4-5 years old. At this point, and for the last two years, he has pretty much exhibited only an eye-blinking tic. If you's asked me when he was six, I would have been positive we were heading towards a Tourette's diagnosis-- now, I'm fairly certain we are not. My son also has a number of other related issues: generalized anxiety, OCD, and minor sensory stuff. And still, I think this is just an intermittent tic thing with him because it has gotten much less frequent and less varied over the years. I will watch your video later, but if it is a tic, I would assume it could easily pass, or come and go, and even if it shifts to a different type of tic (which my son experienced) it still may not be Tourette's. But yeah, a 504 could be helpful in school so that his tic(s) is acknowledged as such and does not get construed as a "behavior" issue.
#4 of 7 Old 09-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Could he be clearing his throat from allergies? Spring and fall are definitely hayfever times.
#5 of 7 Old 09-17-2009, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

we just requested an evaluation from his school. i'm hoping we can get an IEP for him for his other issues. his teacher is aware of it but it's not an issue in class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindberg99 View Post
Could he be clearing his throat from allergies? Spring and fall are definitely hayfever times.
that's what i'm trying to rule out. he has no nasal discharge and never sniffles. he doesn't sound stuffy at all. i've offered cough drops, tea and water. nothing makes it stop. my concern is now with him having to take deep breaths after wards.
#6 of 7 Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Hi Meg! Is Max gluten and dairy free? Soy too?
Lisa

chicken3.gif   We're remote ECing, unschooling, free ranging goat dairy farmers.  

#7 of 7 Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

hey Lisa, not since June. he went dairy and wheat free with us in the spring. i don't know if it made any difference. i've already pulled dairy but wheat is going to be really hard with him being in school. he's so picky about his food i don't know if i could find enough safe foods for him. i still have that forum link bookmarked from before.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page