Toxic Water - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 107 Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pat - I am curious as to what you do for clean water, since you started this thread.

We currently have an RO system, but I'm wondering if it's too aggressive. Since you brought up this subject, I've been looking again at RO alternatives. It appears the the optimal solution would be different for people in different areas, as well as what form factor they want to have (plumbed, countertop, standalone).

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#32 of 107 Old 11-09-2009, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Just seeing this now. We have an RO system on our well water. We have copper pipes, otherwise I'd drink the well water.

I cook with the well water (or with bone broth). And I add a pinch of Epsom salts and a pinch of Redman Real Salt to each glass of drinking water. Plus, I use the well water to make homemade bone broths, but use bottled mineral water to make smoothies. We also make fresh green juice daily. And drink kefir daily. All have vitamins and minerals.

I believe the sea salt and mineral water are important with RO water, at least. Bone broths are really important for minerals.

Pat

I have a blog.
#33 of 107 Old 11-09-2009, 03:15 PM

So, California is no. 1.

I guess that says a lot about all their organic produce.

I suppose Mexico can't be much better.
#34 of 107 Old 11-09-2009, 07:31 PM

Hello! Hs anyone heard of a berkey water filter? It is the most powerful water filter in the world. It's not a R/O system which is great! It removes so much more than any filetr I have researched does. We use one and love it. I sell them in my store. I don't think I can post a link to my site on here but do some research on them. Pm if you wanna buy one, I will hook up a good deal.

The Berkey filters out ALL flouride and Arsenic to undetctable levels too.

xoxoxox

#35 of 107 Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
Hello! Hs anyone heard of a berkey water filter? It is the most powerful water filter in the world. It's not a R/O system which is great! It removes so much more than any filetr I have researched does. We use one and love it. I sell them in my store. I don't think I can post a link to my site on here but do some research on them. Pm if you wanna buy one, I will hook up a good deal.

Do they all use holding tanks? We have really limited kitchen space, so I'd thrown it out since it looks like I can't hide it under the sink...

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/index.html

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#36 of 107 Old 11-09-2009, 08:47 PM

No they don't. Thats the only thing that sucks about them. Here is the correct website you should be looking at if you want info on them.

http://www.berkeywater.com/start.main.html

xoxoxox

#37 of 107 Old 11-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
From what I've seen the Black Berkey element itself does not filter out much if any fluoride or arsenic. You need the add-on post filter PF-2 to do that. It adsorbs the fluoride using activated aluminum oxide. Since this is a post filter to the black berkey element, there is no filter after that one to catch the small amount of aluminum that can be excreted from the PF-2 filter. However, if you already have some amount of aluminum in your water, using the PF-2 may still result in a net reduction in the amount of aluminum in your output water.

If you don't want to test your water, check the current water quality report from your water company (if you're not on well water). It should give you an idea of what is in your water.

Here is a link to the PF-2 filter information:
http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com...ilters-2-p-188

It looks like the PF-2 filter has a much shorter life than the Black Berkey element, and the PF-2 is not cleanable.

#38 of 107 Old 11-11-2009, 10:51 PM

I just posted this on another thread, but I wanted to add this info to this thread too.

I've been researching RO alternatives lately. A multiple filter combination of activated aluminum in one housing, followed by a hybrid (Doulton) ceramic/carbon block filter is looking pretty interesting. I'd also consider adding a sub-micron filter in another housing. There are a number of places you can get either under-sink or countertop units that support 2 and 3 filter housings.

(Here is the other thread "Tap Water Filters": http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1160695 )

#39 of 107 Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know about the Kangen Water Alkalizer? Claims to produce water at a ph of 8.5 to 9.5. I can't discern if it adds calcium as the alkalizing agent.

Yes, I found that "Kangen water contains essential minerals, such as Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium". http://iluvwater.com/

It also removes chlorine, fluoride and lead, to the tune of $5000!!! http://kangenwaterblog.com/fluoride-...rom-tap-water/

Sounds like an interesting proce$$.

Pat

I have a blog.
#40 of 107 Old 01-15-2010, 10:13 PM

I've been reading this book: The Drinking Water Book: How to Eliminate Harmful Toxins from Your Water http://www.amazon.com/Drinking-Water...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

There's some good information in there.

#41 of 107 Old 02-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all this info. I am just now learning about toxic water and shower filters. We filter drinking water, but now I am learning about the shower. My state is also on the top 10 list.

I found this product review site for shower filters and am thinking about this shower filter. It's only $30 and it removes chlorine and heavy metals. The reviews are good. Does anyone have it? It's from Sprite Industries.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#42 of 107 Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet2 View Post
I found this product review site for shower filters and am thinking about this shower filter. It's only $30 and it removes chlorine and heavy metals. The reviews are good. Does anyone have it? It's from Sprite Industries.
V
I used that one awhile ago. It does seem to remove chlorine pretty well. They claim it doesn't need to be changed for 1 year. However, I was getting a rash and suspected the filter. I removed the filter and that rash went away. So, I don't use a shower filter anymore. I suspect if I changed the filter at 4 or 6 months it might not have caused me the rash, but I just don't want to mess with it.

#43 of 107 Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
I used that one awhile ago. It does seem to remove chlorine pretty well. They claim it doesn't need to be changed for 1 year. However, I was getting a rash and suspected the filter. I removed the filter and that rash went away. So, I don't use a shower filter anymore. I suspect if I changed the filter at 4 or 6 months it might not have caused me the rash, but I just don't want to mess with it.
Oh thank you! It does seem that the filters have to be replaced earlier than stated. I've heard that on several different brands.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#44 of 107 Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the filters that come built in on the fridges do anything? What exactly do they remove? Dh feels they're good enough but I think he doesn't really believe that tap water could be that bad since he grew up on it.
#45 of 107 Old 02-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1 View Post
Does anyone know if the filters that come built in on the fridges do anything? What exactly do they remove? Dh feels they're good enough but I think he doesn't really believe that tap water could be that bad since he grew up on it.
Don't quote me, but I think they remove at least heavy metals and germs. Not sure if they neutralize chlorine or not--you may want to call the manufacturer.

V

#46 of 107 Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know of this Berkley water purifier? Apparently, removes heavy metals lead, mercury, arsenic, flouride and chlorine and doesn't require electricity. But does not remove the beneficial minerals from the water.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

Pat

I have a blog.
#47 of 107 Old 03-26-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Anyone know of this Berkley water purifier? Apparently, removes heavy metals lead, mercury, arsenic, flouride and chlorine and doesn't require electricity. But does not remove the beneficial minerals from the water.
Pat
The Black Berkey filter is essentially an improvement on the Doulton ceramic filter, which has been used since Queen Victoria's time (!) to purify water.

We got one for my mom - that's the water filter she wanted. It was a great birthday/Christmas gift combined. We got her the Berkey Light - the see-through one, because that's the one she wanted. We also got a travel Berkey for DH's office.

Pros: The Black Berkey filter removes bacteria and cycsts (you can purify even dirty pond water!). You can take it camping or on vacation or to places where you are not sure of the water quality. It also removes lots of other things from water...chlorine, etc. The water tastes good. The pH of the filtered water is good (I tested it ). You can renew the Black Berkey filter element by scrubbing the outside. It's better water quality than Brita-filtered water (what mom had before), and probably cheaper over the long run. Get the Berkey Light unit - I know it's plastic, but it's transparent to see the water level. Plus, see my comments below regarding issues with the stainless steel unit.

Cons: The Black Berkey filter itself does NOT remove fluoride. You need the add-on activated aluminum post filter to remove fluoride. My mom got the fluoride post filter, and she did not like it. It imparted a bitter taste to the water, no matter how much she flushed it out. I wasn't really keen on the idea of an activated aluminum post filter without anything after it to filter out any aluminum that might escape. So, she's using the Berkey without the fluoride filter. It's not connected into the plumbing, so you have to fill it regularly. The filtration speed slows down as the water level gets lower. The filtration speed also slows down when it needs scrubbing on the outside. (This could also be a positive feature.) You have to clean it regularly...like once a month I think. Sometimes the tap spigot can leak. The tap spigot on ours (the Travel Berkey) is different than the one that comes on the Berkey Light (and they are NOT interchangeable because of the size difference). We have a problem with the water where we are at reacting with the black rubber washer material that is used to create the spigot seal. The filtered water reacts to it, and smells & tastes really bad. When we filter into a glass jar instead of the regular Berkey bottom, the water tastes fine. Mom doesn't seem to have this problem with her Berkey Light - which has a white colored washer material that is obviously a different material than ours. We have had no luck trying to get something that works from the Berkey manufacturer. And I have looked ALL over trying to find a food grade washer that will work; I can't find one. So we have an expensive doorstop, while mom's unit works fine. Oh, and I almost forgot...there is a logo physically punched into the metal Berkey unit, both top and bottom. Residue from the manufacturing/steel punching process gets into the logo (inside the Berkey unit) and you have to take at least an hour of scrubbing and picking with a toothpick and brushing with a toothbrush to get it out.

You may see it suggested online that the Berkey filter element can last for 11 years....but when the unit comes, the documentation that comes with it tells you only 2 years.

#48 of 107 Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM

FWIW, for our in-home use, I found a calcite/GAC post-filter for our RO unit, and I'm quite happy with it now. The water has a smoother taste and is definitely less reactive, based on my tests before and after adding the calcite filter. I tested both room-temp filtered water and then some of that filtered water put through a stainless steel water heater unit. Before calcite filtering, the RO water was picking up a fair amount of something from the stainless steel (tested by TDS meter). After calcite filtering, the TDS's on the hot and cold water were almost the same - therefore it was picking up less or nothing from the stainless steel. The pH is better, still not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

If I didn't have the RO unit, I'd be using some kind of 4-filter plumbed-in system involving a Doulton ceramic, carbon block, fluoride filter, and then a carbon/VOC post-filter. That'd be pretty close to RO quality water. The one thing that the RO removes that this type of filtration system does not is radioactive substances.

#49 of 107 Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Kim, wow! That was very informative and helpful. Thanks for the time typing it all out.

Pat

I have a blog.
#50 of 107 Old 03-26-2010, 03:20 PM

in 2001 I had a whole-house filter installed. The brand is Aquathin and it was expensive. The filter did not need replacing for 5 years, but that cost a couple hundred $$. It removes Everything, which is what I prefered.

I supplement with minerals from Youngevity. http://www.youngevity.com/products-y...myproductframe
I buy the plain Plant Derived Minerals.

As to the question - how much to take? I take 1 ounce / day. I have no idea how much and of what kind of minerals anyone gets from their tap water. Personally I don't think the possible mineral content of tap water is worth the price of the pollutants and contaminants, and pharmacuetical drugs (birth control, cholesterol, statin, insulin, etc, etc).

Cheryl, mom to Olivia Grace (May 2009), Zackary James (Jun 2012)

both hypnobabies births

#51 of 107 Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 PM

From what I've read the only filter to remove all contaminants is distillation....I know it even removes all the good stuff but doesn't that seem the way to go since you can just add minerals back in?
#52 of 107 Old 03-27-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

No, we really can't replace mother nature, imo.

There are microminerals and even minerals we haven't identified yet, I imagine. And there are minerals and nutrients we don't even know we receive from REAL water. And yet, our polluted water is scary.

Pat

I have a blog.
#53 of 107 Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 AM

One of my best friends has had a Berkey for about 6 months and she loves it for all the reasons already listed. The water is very nice tasting too. If I hadn't just purchased a latex bed and air purifier, I'd get one myself.
#54 of 107 Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
No, we really can't replace mother nature, imo.

There are microminerals and even minerals we haven't identified yet, I imagine. And there are minerals and nutrients we don't even know we receive from REAL water. And yet, our polluted water is scary.

Pat
True true....polluted water IS A HUGE FEAR OF MINE!!! I wish we could get well water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiajenn View Post
One of my best friends has had a Berkey for about 6 months and she loves it for all the reasons already listed. The water is very nice tasting too. If I hadn't just purchased a latex bed and air purifier, I'd get one myself.
I just bought a air purifier too, we need a toxic air thread
#55 of 107 Old 03-27-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
I just bought a air purifier too, we need a toxic air thread

Here you go: Toxic Air and what you breathe...

Pat

I have a blog.
#56 of 107 Old 03-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Was just reading this this morning:

Dangers of Drinking Water from a Water Fountain
Is it safe for your child to drink from the school water fountain?

Interesting - my dd's teachers have told students not to drink the school fountain water. But they're also not allowed to carry water to class.
#57 of 107 Old 03-27-2010, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
My DH just took a herpetology class and they stated that there is no safe water-all contains birth control at some % and they are seeing drastic effects because of it-we are not just talking streams here, public water as well.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#58 of 107 Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post
My DH just took a herpetology class and they stated that there is no safe water-all contains birth control at some % and they are seeing drastic effects because of it-we are not just talking streams here, public water as well.
Quote:
"A vast array of pharmaceuticals — including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones — have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows."

"• Officials in Philadelphia said testing there discovered 56 pharmaceuticals or byproducts in treated drinking water, including medicines for pain, infection, high cholesterol, asthma, epilepsy, mental illness and heart problems. Sixty-three pharmaceuticals or byproducts were found in the city's watersheds."

"Yet officials in six of those 28 metropolitan areas said they did not go on to test their drinking water"
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ap-water_N.htm

Quote:
Pharmaceuticals are now being found in drinking water, according to a study conducted in England. The study looked at 12 pharmaceuticals thought to pose an environmental threat, including painkillers, antibiotics, and antidepressants, and it found traces of these pharmaceuticals in both sewage waters and drinking water. It also found traces in the rivers downstream from the sewage treatment plants.
http://www.naturalnews.com/001891.html

I wonder if any of the water purifiers remove medications?? I'm thinking an RO system might?

ETA: not to mention the chemicals we ADD to drinking water, chlorine and fluoride~!

Pat

I have a blog.
#59 of 107 Old 03-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks Pat
#60 of 107 Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Quote:
I wonder if any of the water purifiers remove medications??
we were told by local state workers and well as two grad students - NO! none to, and we have a great local water treatment center as well

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page