Toxic Water - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post
All you'd need is either a ceramic filter or a black berkey filter; either of those would ensure that bacteria are filtered out. I've thought of having that as a backup water supply in an emergency, but haven't yet done it.
Yeah, I think it is great for back up emergency, etc; I have the Pur jug filter, which I picked up at target and have'nt used yet. I just thought it was good enough for the bacteria from a rain barrel , since I didn't think there would be much chemicals there...?
A ceramic filter, do you mean a doulton? THat's what we have under the kitchen sink, have used it for years. Only problem is the regular filter and the fluoride one both look exactly the same....and dh can't remember which one he replaced, so I'm going to have to get both replacements now
I was wondering if the Aquasana is as good or better, it seems that their replacement filters are definitely less $$$ than the doulton.

I saw someone mentioned fridge/icemaker filters before and I just checked ours, it is a Pur, which I had thought was supposed to be o.k. besides not filtering fluoride. Are their any others out there? Anywhere I can find out what is compatible with my fridge?
I just cannot stop thinking about meds in the water now , it's not enough we have to deal with everything else and now meds....
btw, how do they get into our water? I know that people (and probably, institutions too) throw meds down the toilet etc; but we don't drink recycled toilet/waste water....... how has it gotten into our water...
#92 of 107 Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM

I just bought a Big Berkey for emergency use. We have good well water( we have tested it) and it tastes absolutely delicious. However, we are kind of rural(although not surrounded by farms) and have a well so deep that hand pumping isn't a good emergency option. We do have relative close access to a few creeks though. My friend arranged a big bulk order and it was $203 total for the Big Berkey and 4 filters.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#93 of 107 Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombh View Post
Yeah, I think it is great for back up emergency, etc; I have the Pur jug filter, which I picked up at target and have'nt used yet. I just thought it was good enough for the bacteria from a rain barrel , since I didn't think there would be much chemicals there...?
A ceramic filter, do you mean a doulton? THat's what we have under the kitchen sink, have used it for years.
The Pur doesn't filter out bacteria or cysts, so you run a pretty good risk of illness if you filter rainwater through that. Ceramic filter pore sizes are so small they won't let the bacteria through. A doulton is one type of ceramic, and berkey is another. You can get them standalone or like you have, plumbed in under your sink. The plumbed in one won't be of any use during an emergency. I was referring to a standalone system with a ceramic filter of some type.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#94 of 107 Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have a blog.
#95 of 107 Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 AM

How about these RO tanks for BPA-free:

http://www.wetterwater.com/reverse-osmosis-systems/reverse-osmosis-tanks.html

polypropylene (#5) and rubber. 

Not sure I'm crazy about the rubber being in there.

#96 of 107 Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM

What do you think about this countertop one? Living in an agricultural area (literally in the middle of ag fields) I am mostly concerned about pesticides (since we have to prioritize what to freak out about, right? heh)

http://www.equinox-products.com/EquinoxEQ-10CountertopWaterFiltrationSystem.htm#Q: How does the EQ-10 Countertop work?

I am thinking I will go with the Aquasana countertop model, but then found this one. .. it's just two carbon filters, looks like?

It's so hard to "filter" through all this information!

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#97 of 107 Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 PM

I have been thinking about water quality a lot lately, too!  We have the Sprite shower filter (the hand held one) and its been working great.  Probably need to change the filter soon, though!  But they last about 5-6 mo. I think.  My parents have an artesian well, which they run through a softener I believe.  If I filled up a bunch of gallon jugs of water from thier place and just kept them sitting somewhere out of the sun, if they would be OK for like a month? 

#98 of 107 Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM

bump.

#99 of 107 Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM

#100 of 107 Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM

Anyone know how good Omnifilter CBF3 system might be?  I'm just renting, and there is one at our sink.  I've been meaning to get a new cartridge (CB3) for it under the sink.  Or, is there a good cartidge that would be compatible?  Thanks.

#101 of 107 Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 AM

For water filters, I would suggest this one that I posted in another forum:   http://www.pureeffectfilters.com/#a_aid=Ultrawater

As I've told the story many times in any post about fluoride or just toxins in the water, my son's teeth are very discoloured due to Fluorisis.  I'm holding hope that there is a way to remineralize the teeth over time and that it will improve, but I really urge everyone I know to get yourself a good water filter....and even a shower filter (if you can't afford a whole home one).

I took my time, researched, compared, weighed the pros and cons, and this was the filter I chose.  Mainly because I was able to verify the results that were claimed with the lab that did their tests to ensure that I was getting what I paid for and that the company was a reputable company and hired the lab for an independent test.  It's a small company, but the product and service is excellent....I urge everyone to at least consider them and read everything including the great reviews etc...

As far as air goes...from the research I have done on that....I didn't get so much as an air purifier as I did a high density negative ion generator which I place in his bedroom while he is sleeping.  I won't get into the whole background about it all, but if you read up on negative vs positive ions in the air you will understand why I chose to get one.  I can tell you that he sleeps much better and his nose always unclogs and he breathes much better than ever before.  There are quite a few studies with babies etc ....If you want the top of the line best of the best...the company is called Elanra ...but its a very steep price for that ...

#102 of 107 Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 AM

Unfortunately the thing is that Aquasana doesn't remove Fluoride.  They were actually one of the companies I was looking at, but that was a deal breaker for me.  But if Fluoride is not a concern, they do seem pretty good.

#103 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 AM

I know this is an old thread but I'm bumping it. I am on a private well and for years have been drinking the water. But now I'm getting more concerned about what "could" be in it. We did water testing years ago and I know the main issue is that it has slightly low ph (6.6) which leaches copper from our pipes into our water. Otherwise it normally tests fine. But recently after returning from vacation I noticed a "dirt like" taste in the water. That went away after being home for a day but it made me really wonder what could be in our water that hasn't been tested for. So I contacted our plumber who wanted to put a RO unit in under the sink. After research I know I do NOT want an RO unit. It will strip our minerals, further lower our ph of drinking water, and waste much water in the process. What I am looking for is a unit that will go under the sink but work like a Berkey--filter out the baddies and leave our minerals. If it could alkalize the water or would be a huge bonus too!

I also know we have to address the acidic water at the well house too, so it does not corrode the pipers further. I have been recommended to get a calcite feeder (calcium carbonate) out at the well head which would alkalize the water before it enters the copper pipes in our home. That sounds ok...But is it safe? My kids drink bath water, etc, like kids do.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#104 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Right now we use a Big Berkey but it takes up so much counter space. I really would like a good under the sink equivalent which would give me on demand water for washing veggies, drinking, boiling pasta, etc, as well as drinking of course.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#105 of 107 Old 12-08-2013, 10:05 AM

The two websites that I have found that might have what I am looking for are http://www.pure-earth.com/under-counter-water-filters.htm and http://www.livingwatersway.com/under_counter_alkalizers
Does anyone have any thoughts about these companies? I called Aquasana and also Multipure but they do not recommend their filters because they don't filter copper.

#106 of 107 Old 12-09-2013, 03:51 PM

Sorry, I'm not familiar with those companies but the one I posted above is fantastic at answering concerns.  At least they were from my experience.  There is a chat option on the website that is available during business hours which you could try...it was available when I had done it and it was very useful to me....sorry I can't be of more help to you.

#107 of 107 Old 12-10-2013, 11:40 AM

nukuspot - You might look for a Doulton type ceramic filter, but one for use with a plumbed in filter system (instead of the gravity fed one like the berkey). Since you have well water, I'd also consider a sediment filter as filter #1. Then maybe the Doulton ceramic after that one. There are a bunch of possible places to get these from. You could start at doulton.com but there are also other places.

They also have calcite post filters to increase the pH of your water. Sometimes you can also get a magnesium and calcite filter for further increasing the pH.

You can get a double or triple filter system to take care of those issues.

I think water that is promoted as "alkaline water" is a scam, so if it was me I wouldn't bother looking at alkalizing systems.

HTH!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page