Is it possible that I'm Vit D deficent in winter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or could it be something else ?

When I lived in the LA county part of Los Angeles around the Burbank/North Hollywood area .

I was never ever sick down there except for the one time it had just been 5 months after I lived there but not as bad as I would get it in montana .

So that was the only sickness I had down there . Nothing else and my ex had many sickness but I never got it from him.

I also ended up pregant down there 3 times with only 1 earth child and each time I found out I was pregnant during the winter time . Never sick during my pregnancy just 2 losses and 1 pretty healthy one.

I was raised and born in Montana. I had many sickness in Montana as a kid to an adult but as soon as I moved away from montana to california I was healthy and a feel good person but wasn't in a feel good mood when I had got ppd the severe kind after my son was born.

In montana I'm always sick during their winter season Nov.-Mar/april .

But in Montana summers I'm never sick so could it actually be Vit D issues ?

I do have thyroid issues that lower my body temperature in the 96-97 only get higher in the mid cycles .

In montana I have both colds hands and cold feet but in california I had slight cold feet but warm hands.

So I was wondering what reasons of me in california had me not sick vs the ones that have me sick in montana ?

Could it be my body temperature making me more susceptible to sickness in winter or could it be the lack of sun, or what about my circulation . If I have trouble asorbing B vitamins is it possible I have trouble absorbing other vitamins including my thyroid medicine ?
#2 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Could it be my body temperature making me more susceptible to sickness in winter or could it be the lack of sun, or what about my circulation . If I have trouble asorbing B vitamins is it possible I have trouble absorbing other vitamins including my thyroid medicine ?
I think so.
It's quite common for thyroid patients to have absorption problems. And there seems to be a link between vit d deficiency and thyroid disorders:

Quote:
Vitamin D is necessary for thyroid hormone production in the pituitary gland, and possibly in the early stages of T-3 (thyronine) binding to its receptor.Too little circulating vitamin D may hinder the body's ability to produce and regular thyroid hormones.
Vitamin D & Thyroid Function

fp
#3 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

So if I have trouble absorbing vitamin d so how could I be able to get enough vit d that will absorb properly ?
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post
So if I have trouble absorbing vitamin d so how could I be able to get enough vit d that will absorb properly ?
I'm sure you would need to supplement (and probably vit A too as I've read that the one affects the absorption of the other), but as to how much I'm not sure. I think the best plan would be to talk to your HCP about getting tested and if in fact you are low then see what they say about supplementation. Once you've been tested you can be retested to see at what point (how much supp vit D per day) your levels come up to normal.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page