loose stools/diarrhea in toddler -update: EPIPHANY - I have a theory. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2009, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is on day 6 of having very loose stools that emerge without warning. We've been giving him BRATY (banana, rice, applesauce, dry toast, yogurt) foods, and the stools will go from watery to looking like applesauce, and it looks like food just isn't being digested very well - like the applesauce looks the same on its way out as it does going in (I know, TMI), and I could see what he ate for lunch yesterday coming out in his poops at 5 p.m. He will make fairly large stools every 45 min. or hour for half the day - it's like his intestines are not doing their work very efficiently right now. He doesn't have a fever, isn't complaining of tummy aches, there's no blood, we haven't introduced any new foods to his diet...he does eat wheat, dairy, eggs, but this has only been a problem for the last 6 days, so I am not certain that a food sensitivity would be the cause.

Does anyone have suggestions for what could be the cause or what do to to remedy this? I suppose we can do an elimination diet (I so hate these because when you cut out wheat and dairy, DS is basically down to eating meat, soy products, and green peas...) to rule out food sensitivity, but why would it come on so suddenly?

***UPDATE***
It occurred to me over the weekend that my colostrum is in, and maybe THAT is the cause of the loose stools. After looking on the nursing beyond infancy forum, this seems like a common problem for nursing toddlers with very pregnant mothers. I would not have thought that nursing 2-3 times a day would cause this much havoc, but it seems the most likely explanation, and hopefully it will resolve once my regular milk comes in. At least he's not pooping 5-6 times a day, more in the 1-3 range now, so that makes it less worrisome too.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 PM

Any rounds of antibiotics recently (in the last few months?) ... are the stools foul-smelling or do they have no odor?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Old 09-25-2009, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Nope. No abx. Not a bad odor, at least compared to normal stools! I emailed the FP doc., and she just said - probably a virus, sounds like you guys are doing everything right. If it's still the same in another week, or if he develops other symptoms that are worrying you, bring him in, but basically tincture of time was her prescription. He did start at a daycare 2 days/week recently, so maybe he picked something up there.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
Old 09-26-2009, 09:04 PM

Hmmm. Then I guess I don't really have any suggestions for you, but I'd be curious as to how long this lasted, and if it does go away soon on its own or not. I guess they felt 6 days wasn't long enough to kick a viral bug? Watch for signs of dehydration and make sure he's getting enough liquids too. So they feel give him 13 days total and then call if he's still having diarrhea on day 13? That seems kind of long to me, but I'm not a dr

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
Old 09-26-2009, 09:34 PM

DD had a stomach virus that caused watery diarrhea that lasted for 10 tens. She seemed fine otherwise. I know it was a virus because DH and I got it a few days after she did, although it didn't last as long for us as it did her. The pediatrician said it was a virus going around. The ped advised us to stay off dairy for 2 weeks (we ended up staying off dairy for 6 weeks because sometimes, but not every time, we gave her something with dairy in it, the diarrhea would come back).
Old 09-27-2009, 12:10 PM

I think 1-2 weeks is pretty normal for a GI virus, heck many times rotavirus lasts a month!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd assume a virus too. Some can last quite a while, I'm glad this sounds fairly low-intensity. I'd start an infant probiotic to help the gut bacteria get back into balance as the presumed illness subsides.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Could be a virus. Lots of loose stools is a quick way for the immune system to eliminate toxins. However, if its not I wouldn't rule out him being sensitive to wheat or dairy. Intolerances (not really allergies) can develop at any age. Especially wheat and dairy. Most wheat and dairy products are overly processed and void of essential nutrients and enzymes creating sensitivites due to inability to digest them.

DD had diarreaha alot for a week (this was a while ago) and I think it was rota virus. Then months later she had diarreaha for days straight and I realized it was caused by her eating pistachios.

Veda 9/06
Old 10-09-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

So, we are at the three week mark, with DS still pooping 4 or 5 times a day, often with no warning, and in amounts that make me and DH wonder how it can be that he appears to be pooping out more than he is ingesting...it's not really diarrhea anymore (we are more into pudding/dal type territory here), but it looks like everything is not digesting and is going through his system faster than it ought to. We have given him probiotics for a week with no change...I am stumped.

I am certain, having had rotavirus while pregnant with him, that this is NOT rotavirus, but I can't imagine a virus hanging on in this way for so long. My only theory at this point is that he caught a cold last week, but could swallowing mucous produce such extraordinary activity in the bowels?

These questionable food sensitivity things drive me nuts. We have gone on elimination diets before for what turned out to be lactose overload, investigating if dairy made him pee more at night, and honestly, I hate them. They make it hard to feed any of us, and we consistently buy high quality, locally produced, organic dairy products. But I guess we can eliminate dairy...again...for a month...and deal with him whinging about wanting a quesadilla that we can't give him. At least the daycare serves only vegan food.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:29 AM

Day 21 now? Wow What did they say when you brought him in a week ago? Is he having any other symptoms besides the GI issues/diarrhea? Maybe you should go for a 2nd opinion on this from another dr.

On a positive note, I think the fact it is changing from watery to pudding type, is a good thing. Its what happened to mine but he had antibiotics which totally wiped out everything good on the inside.

I can't figure out what could have happened to yours to have the same effect but you said he had not (ever?) been on abx. (Mine actually took about 4 months to get back to normal solid bowel movements the way he was prior to having the abx!) Being I knew what brought this on (abx) and that he was off of it (we stopped early due to his severe reaction side effect) I didn't have to brainstorm as much as you to figure out what is going on. That must be tough!

Old 10-10-2009, 09:13 PM

My son did this for four months. We could never find a pathogen, never a reason, but an unrelated round of ceclor four months in fixed it within 24 hours. There was clearly a pathogen in there!

User Tag List