What to do with 2nd degree burn on 1-year-old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This morning DS pulled a hot iron down onto his foot. It blistered and he pulled off the blister skin and ate it..

The ped said just to put neosporin on it and keep it in open air.. no covering. Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? I have never had to deal with a burn like this before, any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Here is a picture of the burn.

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

#2 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 07:05 PM

Without the blister skin, the layers underneath are unprotected and vulnerable to infection. The usual treatment is an antibiotic or antibiotic/antifungal combination ointment and covering with a gauze pad (changed 2x day) for the first week. A silver sulfdiazine ointment is often prescibed (common brand name, Silvadene), but it can't be used by anyone who has a sulfur allergy and it stains.

Hugs to both of you!
#3 of 4 Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 AM

I've heard both lavender essential oil or raw untreated honey for burns. I used raw honey on my son's hands a couple of years ago when he got something almost like a burn going across hot metal monkey bars. It was as though it had burned the skin off of his palms, it was soooo painful. I used raw honey and kept it lightly wrapped with gauze for several days.
#4 of 4 Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 AM

My little one had a second degree burn not to long ago. I kept it lathered with ointment, I think it was like a neosporin or a bacitracin. I kept it really moist and covered it with gauze. Of course my little one would not have left it alone had I not done the wrapping.

I changed it twice a day and now you can't even tell he had a burn at all. It is always sad when they hurt isn't it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page