How is H1N1 diagnosed? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 10-12-2009, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post
Well, that's a great way to pad the CDC's "the swine flu is a huge giant epidemic" thing. You can have multiple symptoms and still not have the flu. Last month, I had the fever, cough, headache, diarrheah, nausea, chills, body aches...tested negative for influenza A and B and it turned out it was just a random virus working it's way through and it was gone in a day. And if you just look at the list of symptoms, you could combine any 2 of them and come up with 20 different illnesses it could be, ranging from mild cold to meningitis to pertussis to flu. Seems like a dangerous assumption for medical providers to make...
That test has a very high false negative rate, so a negative result does not mean you don't have flu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 10-12-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewal View Post
When my husband tested postive for the flu last year, he never had a cough, just a sore throat.

They are no longer testing in my area in Texas for H1N1. They'll do a routine flu swab, and if it comes back negative, they still assume you have H1N1. By the time the doctors get the result for the H1N1, you're over it.

I'm convinced my daughter had H1N1 over 18 months ago. If they are diagnosing off they symptoms, then she had it. We were told it was a "flu-like" virus and just to let it run its course.
As far as I know, they don't think H1N1 was around in people 18 months ago. But she could easily have had a different flu. Right now they diagnose based on the symptoms because sampling tests with the test that can distinguish H1N1 from other influenza A viruses find that there is very little (1 or 2% or less usually) other flu around. But once other flu starts circulating, they won't be able to diagnose H1N1 versus another based on symptoms.
#33 of 35 Old 10-13-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtoe View Post
It is widespread across most of the country. If you have flu like symptoms right now, your chance of it NOT being h1n1 is less than 1%.

This is inaccurate. I think I know where you're getting the 1% from (i.e., that 99% of influenza cases now are H1N1). But a lot of things cause flu-like symptoms, many of which are also EVERYWHERE right now. Rhinoviruses and enteroviruses to name a few (hundred).
#34 of 35 Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
This is inaccurate. I think I know where you're getting the 1% from (i.e., that 99% of influenza cases now are H1N1). But a lot of things cause flu-like symptoms, many of which are also EVERYWHERE right now. Rhinoviruses and enteroviruses to name a few (hundred).
Sorry , you are absolutely right. I was talking about actual flu cases.

But they are saying here if you have flu symptoms, not just one or two, to call and talk with your doctor. There are a few bugs around here - tummy bugs, strep, and who knows what else, but flu bugs it's h1n1 right now (or as of two weeks ago). Sorry I wasn't clear at all and thank you so much for clarifying for me!
#35 of 35 Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 AM

So, I am wondering about the cough thing. We were all sick last week, and I am certain we all had the same bug (cold/flu/whatever) but only 3 of the kids had a decent cough for several days - DH, myself, and our oldest did not (besides the occasional mucus-y hacking). No fevers that I am aware of, but DH and I definitely had body chills/aches and can't recall having these with any colds we've had in the past. It's hard to say how the kids felt, since they are little, but they appeared less sick than DH and I, as they were almost as wild as they always are.

I've heard people say if you get the flu you will know you have it because of how awful you feel - but yet there have been confirmed cases of H1N1 where they didn't have the typical flu-like symptoms. It's all very confusing to me.

They should have a home testing kit sold at the drug store so we can swab our families w/o a trip to the doc. no, but seriously, can titers be checked for H1N1? I assume so

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page