treating swine flu - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So... I know many of you won't be getting the H1N1 vax for your little ones. It's going around so bad where I live, I want to be really prepared in case the kids (4.5 and 22 mos) start showing symptoms.

So I'm thinking keep stock of Tylenol, Motrin, freezer pops, pedialyte... Is there anything else I should know? Vaporizer maybe?

What are you mamas doing to be prepared, I mean other than nutrition, hand washing, the basics.

TIA.
#2 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 09:21 AM

I had been giving my kids large doses of vit.D as prevention (3,000 IUs for my 4 y/o & 4-5,000 IUs for my 6 y/o, the baby just recieves his via breastmilk) But now I'm not sure if this is the best route or not, see the thread swine flu worse in those w/ strong immune sysytems. I know it sounds completely illogical, but it's due to the fact that a similar virus H5N1, is immune to some cytokines (immunity compounds the body produces), SO certain things we normally trust like echinacea, elderberry, & honey (among others)are not recommended for boosting immunity for swine flu.

I do however still give them probiotics & Vit.C. I'm trying to get them to drink green tea, only the baby will drink it....

I read tulsi tea can stop the swine flu.

I believe me & DH had it a few weeks ago, we took nothing other than the tulsi & green tea w/ raw honey, Vit.D, Echinacea (wasn't aware at that time about the cytokine thing)and garlic.

Now my 2 oldest might have it, I read that strep throat is common w/ it, which DS had, then DD got sick from him, but it's not bothering her throat AT ALL, which makes me wonder if they do indeed have sswine flu b/c he passed something to her other than strep! Niether one had vomiting or diarreha (except due to excessive SA) I'm pretty sure its all the probiotics they've been taking, nothing can survive in the digestive track!!!

I have not given ANY fever reducing meds. at all, DS's got pretty high, but I'm not one to interfere w/ a fever...

I def. think you get better faster when the fever is left to run it's course

If this is what has swept through my house, it was pretty mild, compared to the seasonal flu & what the media is making the swine flu out to be.

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!
#3 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 AM

What probiotics are you taking and are you just taking pill supplement or in food ?
#4 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS takes vit d preventatively (it is well documented that vit d deficiency is associated with higher morbidity and mortailty from all kinds of flu. I may be concerned about other things and the cytokine storms but not vitamin d.

Also take sVit c, probiotics among other things.

If he were to becom ill with it I would treat homepathically. I would never give tylenol and would avoid motrin if at all possible. I also have garlic and olive leaf extract on hand. They are powerful anti-virals.

Also have a few Dr. Christophers formulas on hand...they are wonderful!

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 12:00 PM

Here is info on D3 :
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...nshine-vitamin

I was going back and forth on weither to take my supplement back or not, top of page 4:

Quote:
Vitamin D has been shown to repress exaggerated inflammatory responses by inhibiting that cytokine cross talk.
#6 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will interested in the outcome of these studies

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...flu-protection

acecdotal evidence it is helpful in swine flu

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsl...wine-flu.shtml

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/...920091129.html

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Three out of my 4 kids came down with it. Their symptoms included high fever (102-104 range), severe body aches, chills, nausea, cough and very sore throats. My 7 yo DD threw up twice too. They all recovered in 3 days.

I used: vitamin D3, calcium ascorbate in diluted red grape juice, elderberry extract every 4 hours for 5 days, turmeric three times a day, mullein tincture for the cough, and oregano oil on soles of feet and internally for my teenager.

Frankly, if I had to choose the one compound that made the hugest difference, I will choose elderberry hands down. It was the only thing my 7 year old could take for the first 2 days--we used the Take Care Immunity lozenges.

Best of luck to your family!
#8 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
Here is info on D3 :
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...nshine-vitamin

I was going back and forth on weither to take my supplement back or not, top of page 4:
So another article in support of the D
I'm prob. going to put my kids back on it.
Thanx 4 the link

Unvaxing, Breastfeeding, Cloth diapering, Mama cloth loving, Passionate about all things natural Mommy to CJ-8/03, AG-9/05, JJ-6/08. And married to my best friend Feb.2005!
#9 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilpunkins View Post
So another article in support of the D
I'm prob. going to put my kids back on it.
Thanx 4 the link
What Vitamin D are you using for your children?
#10 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 PM

I give my daughter vitamin D drops. She likes to have a drop put on her finger and take it that way, but you can add it to anything. It's called Bio-D-Mulsion. I got it at first from her pediatrician, but I think last time I got it off amazon.com

SAHM to DD (May/07) and DS (Jan/10)
#11 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM

More on Vit D...

Quote:
Vitamin D - The crucial role of vitamin D in the innate immune system was
discovered only very recently. Both epithelial cells and macrophages increase expression of the antimicrobial cathelicidin upon exposure to microbes, an expression that is dependent upon the presence of vitamin D. Pathogenic microbes stimulate the production of an enzyme that converts 25(OH)D to
1,25(OH)2D, a seco-steroid hormone. This in turn rapidly activates a suite of genes involved in pulmonary defense. In the macrophage, the presence of vitamin D also appears to suppress the pro-inflammatory cytokines. Thus, vitamin D appears to both enhance the local capacity of the epithelium to
produce endogenous antibiotics and at the same time dampen certain destructive arms of the immune response, especially those responsible for the signs and symptoms of acute inflammation, such as the cytokine storms operative when influenza kills quickly.
http://sites.google.com/site/natural...-for-swine-flu

fp
#12 of 22 Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 PM

We've had it already. DS is nursing and nursed a ton throughout his illness so I didn't worry about him getting enough food/fluids. Other than that just CLO (Blue Ice High Vitamin- sometimes fermented sometimes regular) and SA.
Homemade chicken soup, garlic, fermented veggies, etc. Kept him warmly but breathable dressed. No refined sugar. No foods containing toxic ingredients- artificial colors, artificial sweeteners, artificial flavors. (So no Pedialyte.) No antipyretics! [Fevers in the 103-105 range are not dangerous in and of themselves!umichHS]
His coughing never got too bad though- warm baths/steam were enough. (We do use California Baby Cold & Flu bubble bath)

When DH and the SN man who lives with us had it they had worse coughs. Took elderberry honey syrup and Herbal Cough Ease tincture. Lots and lots of tea (Peppermint, Gypsy Cold Care, Throat Coat, Chamomile) with lots of raw honey. That was all during week 2 though, when the fever had passed already. Here the coughing and such were pretty much suspended as long as the fever stayed elevated.

OP- BTW flu is generally not spread by hand to hand contact. So while hand washing is good for other reasons, it doesn't usually make a difference WRT flu viruses.
#13 of 22 Old 10-11-2009, 03:34 PM

I agree w/ the pp. Also, I just saw today at the store that Borion's makes a childrens flu tablet now. Yay I can't spell it=it's occio something. We have no tylenol in our house, and only have adult motrin for my migrains. My one son's fevers go to 104.5, which is normal for him. ? about ds2 fevers yet, he's only had 1 in 2yrs.
#14 of 22 Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 AM

Do you know what the Borion's children's flu tablet is called? Our naturopath has us on their ocillococcinum (sp?) once per week as preventative-1/2 dose for 5yo dd. She is also on 3000 mcg vitamin D and Udo's Choice child-specific probiotics, mixed into yogurt every day. We are also all takinig colostrum every day (creeped out about ethics of this, but still taking it).

Many of you seem to be using raw honey and elderberry. No worries about cytokines there? Honey especially would REALLY help medicine-phobic dd get some good stuff down if she gets sick.
#15 of 22 Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 AM

#16 of 22 Old 10-12-2009, 01:48 PM

We just had it here, and it was a 12 day thing for me. I had it for about 5 days and then felt almost normal for one day and then relapsed and had worse symptoms for another 6.

My kids (3 and 20 months) didn't have it as bad as I did, and they were on elderberry syrup from before I even realized they had it. We didn't have a fever and I didn't yet realize that we could have it with no fever (just massive chills that felt like a fever should be present).
#17 of 22 Old 10-12-2009, 02:06 PM

just subbing for now

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

#18 of 22 Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 PM

Also subbing here. Thanks for all the info and shared experiences. We are battening down the hatches and fortifying the walls, so to speak.

Amazing Mama Birth Services
CD(DONA) and Birthing From Within Mentor and Birth Doula
#19 of 22 Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM

I want to stock up on Vit. D.
Who has good recommendations? I would need to give to DS, age 7 and DD, age 2....

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#20 of 22 Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 PM

We have vitamin D, vitamin C and green tea on hand
#21 of 22 Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post
I want to stock up on Vit. D.
Who has good recommendations? I would need to give to DS, age 7 and DD, age 2....
We use the spray mist for the whole family. I got it from Dr. Mercola
Vitamin D Spray. It's minty and my kids totally love the flavor.
Sandy
#22 of 22 Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrtoe View Post
We just had it here, and it was a 12 day thing for me. I had it for about 5 days and then felt almost normal for one day and then relapsed and had worse symptoms for another 6.

I'm so glad you're okay -- the "feeling better and then relapsing" type is the kind that is very dangerous! Almost all of the children who died despite not having a compromised immune systems had relapsed and gotten worse after initially feeling better. It is one of the 5 danger signs to watch for (the others are turning bluish, having trouble breathing, not being able to stay awake, and having a change in personality).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page