Diet Alternatives to Miralax? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our DS withheld poop for three months. We saw a ped about it a few weeks into it. We got a prescription for Miralax but never filled it after reading about the dangers (it has never been approved for use in children, especially long term use and there are a lot of parents who have noticed both short and long term side effects.) After three months of DS' escalating issues, we finally did a complete and strict elimination diet (we had tried cutting things out here and there with no help.) When we cut out wheat and gluten, he did a complete 180. His very quickly started pooping on his own after cutting it all out.

There is a Yahoo group dedicated to the dangers of Miralax where you can also find a lot of good recommendations by parents on how to treat chronic constipation. There is also an encopresis group with many members who have dealt with this for years and can offer a lot of advice.

Enterolabs has a stool test that you can do that will help identify gluten sensitivity (plus, cow, egg, yeast, soy). They can also do a gene test for celiacs.

It is a tough situation but definitely consider trying a complete elimination diet (we are currently, egg, dairy, gluten, corn, soy, nightshades + a couple other foods free) - we never suspected wheat. He ate it every day but he got so much better so quickly when we finally cut it out. It is NOT easy - eliminating everything was very difficult for us. We mostly cooked everything from scratch anyway so that wasn't a big change for us (but could be for some). We did, however, have to figure out how to prepare new foods with a limited selection in a short period of time. Make sure if you try this that you start keeping a very detailed food journal - it was the key to helping us figure it all out.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 AM

You've got great suggetions going on here. What I would add is heat. I am not suggeting hot coffee (for her) but maybe prunes in oatmeal. The heat relaxes and can help in that sense.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#33 of 35 Old 10-23-2009, 01:40 PM

my 4yo has been having constipation/ecopresis for almost a year now. Did the miralax & HATED it.... It never really did the trick + he just seemed sickly to me (not sure how else to describe it)
Anyway, we are far from having it all figured out, but when we took him off the miralax, we instead did doses of vit. C (chewable or emergenC packets)adding more when he hadn't pooped in a while. The idea was based on 'bowel tolerance' which, if i'm not mistaken might be the idea behind magnesium, too? Anyway, like i said, I still have alot to learn, but the vitamin C has been reliable enough to push aside all the other remedies and just focus on fluids + C when it seems like his digestion needs some help.

-Lia

Lia Joy Rundle CLD                             Self Directed Woman                                   Self Directed Childbirth
                                                           Womanhood is not a destination. It is an archaeological dig. 

#34 of 35 Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 AM

My 10 yr old ds is struggling with chronic constipation. I have an appt with our Dr next Tues to try and figure this out. He is missing out on things because his tummy hurts so much. It seems to be tolerable and then really flare up and he can't do anything but go to bed. Twice we've taken him to the ER thinking it was his appendix. He was just FULL of stool. The latest trip the Dr rec Miralax but after reading posts here I am thinking 'no'. I am on magnesium and my instructions were to take as much as my gut would allow. It is like vit C where your body will eliminate what you don't need. I think today I will just push the mag with him and hope for some relief for him. I hate this for him and want to get to the bottom of it. He tested + for a parasite and hookworms (shudder) last summer and I we should retest him. I also wonder about food allergies. I have one ds with a dairy and soy allergy....just rambling now.

momma to 4!
#35 of 35 Old 10-31-2009, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Since you mentioned that she was tested for celiac, remember that you can be gluten intolerant without having celiac. And trying goat's milk instead of cow's milk won't help if the person is intolerant to both kinds (like my kids, as well as sheep and water buffalo milk). Magnesium may help the constipation but it won't help the main cause, which you need to still figure out. Was she on Neocate because of the constipation, or are there other symptoms as well?

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page