Diet Alternatives to Miralax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD (now 4) has been constipated since she was a baby. Haven't been able to find anything to eliminate that helps. She's been on Miralax (1tsp/day) since she was like 2 or so I think. Definitely helps but hate having to give her that every day - have tried to cut it back and out but then she ends up with hard stools that are hard for her to pass and her belly hurts.

She already has a fair amount of fiber - eats a nice amount of fruits and veggies. Anything else in particular that would help? She can go well enough/frequently enough for the most part - but without help the stools are small, hard and very hard for her/uncomfortable.

Thanks!

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#2 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Try giving probiotics. It comes in a powder to mix in a drink or you can find a wafer kind that she can chew. Do some research on it to see if you think it might work for you. Important to note that probiotics must be kept refrigerated to keep it's potency.

Good luck!

Mama to DS born 11/21/04
#3 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Ooops - I should have mentioned - i did start giving her probiotics (Udo's Choice - refrigerated) about two weeks ago...

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#4 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 02:57 PM

Magnesium really helps, especially in this form. Make it like a tea, it tastes good!

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#5 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Have you eliminated dairy? That created a minor miracle with my kids.
#6 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 03:02 PM

Is she getting tons of liquids? Flax seed in smoothies is also good.
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#7 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I have tried eliminating dairy, switching to goat's milk, etc. No difference.

She is getting a fair amount of fluids, definitely working on upping that.

Haven't tried flax yet - but isn't there some conflicting information out there about flax and girls?

Definitely considering ordering that magnesium supplement. Or do they have it at Whole Foods?

#8 of 35 Old 10-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamane18 View Post

Definitely considering ordering that magnesium supplement. Or do they have it at Whole Foods?
I know they carry the adult version at Whole Foods, don't know about the Kid's.

Good luck! Magnesium always helps us keep things softer.

#9 of 35 Old 10-20-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up ordering the Kids Calm and am still waiting for it to come. Might also start trying to add coconut oil to her diet? If so, what are best ways to do so? Just cooking with it and if she will do a smoothie add it to that? Poor girl has been constipated her whole life. She goes often enough but it's so hard for her to get out - small hard pieces (unless I do the Miralax every day which I hate having to do). And this is with a box of raisins today too!

#10 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 12:09 AM

I use flax seed oil - particularly barleans omega swirl - a bit expensive but the kids like to take it - http://www.barleans.com/omega_swirl.asp
#11 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 02:44 AM

Water, water and more water. We also used mineral oil daily and put flax in oatmeal, cereals, anything that could be mixed. DS's was extremely bad (emphasis on extremely) and these helped the most.

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
#12 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 AM

Prunes, prune juice.
Apple juice
Cutting out high intakes of rice and bananas
Sugars of any kind
WATER
Adding oils to her diet, coconut, flax, safflower. Maybe making smoothies with probiotics and some extra fats with a good yogurt?
I have also heard that Epsom salt baths help as well.

And i second the magnesium supplements

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#13 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys - maybe I'll do an Epsom salt bath this evening - I have a lavendar epsom salt box in my bathroom anyway!

Is flax oil safe for our kids - with the whole estrogen issue and all?

Will prunes/prune juice help soften things, or just make her go more often? Cause she goes often enough - it's just usually very hard, small, etc. Need natural softeners more than something to make her go...

#14 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM

something I just discovered for myself - magnesium. There are different forms out there, and they do come in powder form. They definitely soften the bm!

ETA - just noticed you already got that recommendation. I can vouch that it does work!

Mama to DS born 11/21/04
#15 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys - maybe I'll do an Epsom salt bath this evening - I have a lavendar epsom salt box in my bathroom anyway!

Is flax oil safe for our kids - with the whole estrogen issue and all?

Will prunes/prune juice help soften things, or just make her go more often? Cause she goes often enough - it's just usually very hard, small, etc. Need natural softeners more than something to make her go...
Prunes will do both, I would suggest her having prune juice every morning, and then a prune with every meal. It helped my dd quite a bit.....just dont over do it.

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#16 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Still waiting for the magnesium to come. In the meantime, made her a smoothie for after school - just 2 ounces prune juice, 2 ounces apple juice, 2 ounces water, 1/3 a frozen SUPER ripe banana (my family doc swears by overripe bananas for helping with constipation), a small scoop of coconut oil and a dab of raw honey. Hopefully she drinks it all!

#17 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Chronic constipation in children can be a marker for a few things, including gluten intolerance. I personally would not be comfortable treating for years with Miralax and not knowing the underlying cause. Two years to still be dependent on Miralax is a long time. I can understand your hesitation to continue it. If dietary changes don't make enough of a difference (increased fiber, prunes, more water) you may want to try experiment again with an elimination diet, or find a health care provider who is interested in prevention as much as treatment.

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#18 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Still waiting for the magnesium to come. In the meantime, made her a smoothie for after school - just 2 ounces prune juice, 2 ounces apple juice, 2 ounces water, 1/3 a frozen SUPER ripe banana (my family doc swears by overripe bananas for helping with constipation), a small scoop of coconut oil and a dab of raw honey. Hopefully she drinks it all!
I would skip the bananas, they constipate even if they are ripe. Stay away from anything on the BRAT diet, bananas, rice, apples, or toast.

#19 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Made a new smoothie (no banana, just prune juice, apple juice coconut oil and a few frozen strawberries) for her and if she won't drink that will just try apple and prune juice mixed with water. And will put some coconut oil instead of butter on her bread with dinner tonight. Hopefully the magnesium comes today or tomorrow.

She has been constipated since a newborn (I'm medically unable to breastfeed - something I'm very sensitive/upset about still) - even on totally hypoallergenic formula (Neocate). She was tested for Celiac and had food allergy testing done as well with nothing showing up. We tried goat's milk instead of cow's milk when she was like 1.5-2 - no help. She eats well - loves broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, cabbage, raisins, whole wheat breads only, etc. Le Sigh.

But we did very recently change Peds when we moved. So far she hasn't seen him yet but I do like him when I've taken DS there (he's open about delayed/selective vax, doesn't do antibiotics for ear infections unless necessary, etc) so maybe I'll call him today to see what he thinks.

Don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but I was on antibiotics twice while pregnant with her (once for a very bad/resistant UTI and once after emergency appendectomy!). Could that have really messed with her digestive system?

#20 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama4 View Post
Chronic constipation in children can be a marker for a few things, including gluten intolerance. I personally would not be comfortable treating for years with Miralax and not knowing the underlying cause. Two years to still be dependent on Miralax is a long time. I can understand your hesitation to continue it. If dietary changes don't make enough of a difference (increased fiber, prunes, more water) you may want to try experiment again with an elimination diet, or find a health care provider who is interested in prevention as much as treatment.
I was going to suggest another food intolerance along with a really good probiotic source. Gluten, dairy and soy are all fairly problematic, and the sad thing is, if multiple foods are a problem, eliminating one may not change a thing.

I agree that looking for a root cause of why _your_ child, and not the kid down the street, has such digestive issues, is a great thing to do. There's a reason, and although it may take quite a bit of investigation and trial-and-error, it's a great thing to figure it out now, when she's little, so she knows better what her body needs.

For us, food-based probiotics seem to work better, I make kimchee and we love it. There's more discussion of that in the Traditional Foods forum, it's easy (with a food processor for shredding) and cheap.

I'd also consider structural support, a DO who does cranial-sacral, maybe a chiropractor, but see if there are subtle structural issues that are slowing digestion. Sometimes a combination of things is involved (structural, food intolerances, bad gut bacteria balance, other?).

Some folks find a higher fat diet helps with constipation as well. We eat a fairly high fat diet, I cook veggies with extra fat, and we eat relatively fatty cuts of meat and not many grains.

Best of luck with this.

eta: gluten can be an issue w/o it being celiac, and without it being an IgE allergy. DD is gluten intolerant, for her it made her poop extra-squishy. I'm pretty sure it's not celiac, we don't have any health problems in the family that tend to go with that, but gluten is seriously not good good for her (or me or DS, but different issues for us).
#21 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I do give her 1 tsp Children's Primadophilus every day - but it doesn't really seem to help. And she didn't like kefir. Maybe I should look into kimchee instead?

I agree re intolerances - but if it were a gluten, dairy or soy issue - wouldn't her poops have been fine when on Neocate at least? Just so confusing! I did also have her thyroid tested a year or two ago - came up normal as well.

#22 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I do give her 1 tsp Children's Primadophilus every day - but it doesn't really seem to help. And she didn't like kefir. Maybe I should look into kimchee instead?

I agree re intolerances - but if it were a gluten, dairy or soy issue - wouldn't her poops have been fine when on Neocate at least? Just so confusing! I did also have her thyroid tested a year or two ago - came up normal as well.
Neocate (I just looked at the infant kind) has corn and soy, maybe removing corn from her diet is something to consider. It's not easy, but multiple regulars in the Allergies forum have btdt experience to help. I was going to mention corn next (in the top four) but it's significantly more work than the others, so, well, who wants to be THAT person?

And you may need to approach this from several angles at once, it sounds like it's been a long-term problem, it may not be a single problem, but several that are building on each other. At least with my kids (different issues), I've needed to work on different aspects at different times--removing gluten and dairy helped some things, some supplements helped, neither was enough alone, structural work has helped some things as well.
#23 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 06:16 PM

Neocate is also nutorious for constipation. IMOF most drs will prescribe marilax with neocate

#24 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting... if it helps at all, before (and after for a bit) Neocate she was on RTF Alimentum...

Still waiting a call back from Pedi. But in the meantime, the KidsCalm magnesium did come today and put half a tsp in some hot water to dissolve and then added some water and apple juice - DD finished almost all of it. She didn't want the smoothie earlier!

#25 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 PM

The thing that really helps my 6-year-old is baby food prunes. She eats a container of it every other day and it helps with softening the stools (she had what I call "rabbit pellets" before and had to strain even to get those out). We had tried the Kidscalm magnesium and everything else under the sun but the baby food pureed prunes works best for us. And the blessing is that she likes it!
#26 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'd never be able to get her to eat the puree - she wants nothing to do with baby stuff. But maybe I should make these and sub Coconut Oil for the Canola?

http://www.recipezaar.com/Breakfast-Cookies-102012

#27 of 35 Old 10-21-2009, 11:38 PM

Those breakfast cookies sound yummy! I wonder if the cookies still turn out alright after the dough has been frozen.

Where do you find coconut oil?

Has anyone seen the Kids Calm at Trader Joes?
#28 of 35 Old 10-22-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

You can buy the coconut oil even at any good grocery store, although I got mine at our local health market.

Haven't seen the Kids Calm at TJ's. Have seen the regular adult Natural Calm at WF but not the Kids - I ended up ordering that one online.

Poor girl woke up early with more hard rabbit pellet poops this morning after first day of magnesium yesterday. Will continue with it, talk to her doctor today and going to try to bake those cookies tonight. Also putting some coconut oil on her honey flax bread for lunch today (she has a fresh roasted turkey sandwich).

#29 of 35 Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Poor girl woke up early with more hard rabbit pellet poops this morning after first day of magnesium yesterday. Will continue with it, talk to her doctor today and going to try to bake those cookies tonight.
With the magnesium, you have to experiment with how much she needs to soften her stools.

I know with myself, it says to start with one teaspoon and work up... I use over three when I need things to soften up (I had a fissure after dd was born).

#30 of 35 Old 10-22-2009, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

I figure I'll give the magnesium one more day at the 1/2 tsp dose and if not helping, go to 3/4 tsp tomorrow and try that for a few days before upping again if needed?

I also just made those breakfast cookies linked above. YUMMY! I hope she likes one/will eat one tomorrow morning. I halved the recipe; used Earth's Best baby food prunes, coconut oil instead of canola and two whole eggs instead of 2.5 egg whites.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page