WWYD - Sore neck, headache and mild fever - Meningitis? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son (Dec/05) has had a cold (cough, runny nose, nothing major, hasn't slowed him down much) for a little over a week.

In the last few days he has complained about a sore neck a few times and last night woke in the night saying his head hurt and was awake for ~30 minutes.

This morning, he seemed fine and went to preschool as normal. Teachers didn't say anything unusual. As soon as we got into the car, he said his head still hurt and he spent the rest of the afternoon/evening waning between pretty much himself with a cold and more melancholy, watching dvd, doing puzzles, etc. When he was himself he was jumping around, laughing, playing, etc. just at a slightly slower speed than normal.

We didn't have a thermometer at the time but he did feel slightly warm to the touch. When my dh got home with thermometer, his temp was 37.4 degrees C in the armpit (99.1 degrees F) which I would consider to be a very mild fever.

I considered seriously taking him to a clinic but then decided to see how the night goes and re-evaluate in the morning. He fell asleep as normal and when I just checked on him he definitely feels warmer than earlier and is sweaty.

Of course now I am totally doubting myself and wonder if I should have taken him to the clinic this evening. My instinct tells me if it was Meningitis his symptoms would have been more severe and his neck pain/headache wouldn't have come and gone.

Please, if you have any experience with this, let me know. Many thanks, in advance.
#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 AM

my late DH had meningitis as a child. he became very ill very suddenly (within hours) and went into a coma for 8 days. If you are concerned I would call the Dr. at the least. I doubt it's meningitis though especially as he's had other symptoms and the fever is not that high.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#3 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had meningitis 6 years ago & couldn't do anything but lay flat on my back & vomit. It was unbearable & there's no way I could have stood upright, let alone actually do anything. My fever wasn't very high, but I had taken mass amounts of ibuprofin to try to control the headache - which was just unimaginable. Even a combination of heavy painkillers every 3 hours around the clock didn't do much to relieve the pain.

I'm no doctor, but it doesn't sound as severe as meningitis.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 6 Old 10-09-2009, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to you both. I really appreciate your replies. I was so anxious and upset at the time that I was doubting my instincts. I have to work on trusting them above all else.

He had a really good sleep last night and was much better today. Thanks again.
#5 of 6 Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 AM

My 4 yr old just had something similar to this (he said his head really hurt, he didn't want to eat, and he was very unwell seeming -- would sleep a lot that day) his fever at the end of the day shot up to 104 and I took him to urgent care. The dr. said he had a double ear infection and tonsils were very swollen -- maybe even strep but they didn't check. They prescribed amoxycillan and by the next morning he was feeling himself. I think there is a virus going around in our home that causes ear and throat infections -- or leaves us suspectible to them. I had it the week before (without the high fever...mine was 100) and my other son has had a low fever, too and has double ear infection. I now think my 2 yr old has it too, as she has a 100.4 fever and is very cranky. I hope you son is feeling better.
#6 of 6 Old 10-10-2009, 07:45 PM

It sounds like he's coming down with something, but meningitis is usually high fever and headache, and inability to look down, I believe. If he can touch his chin to his chest without excruciating pain, I think it's just a random bug and unlikely to be meningitis. http://www.ehow.com/how_2070358_reco...eningitis.html

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page