Mercury Detox With Amalgams? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am VERY confident that I have a good bit of mercury toxicity from the 8 amalgams I have - and perhaps also from the numerous times as a child that my mother would break open thermometers so my siblings and I could play with the mercury (!!!!) -
However, I am not in a position financially to have the fillings removed - it could be years before I am.
Meanwhile, are there things I can do to protect myself against the mercury and/ or lessen the toxic load?
I would love to hear from anyone who has any experience with this.
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In case she's not around, search Panserbjorne's old posts, H&H and Allergies and Dental, she's pretty darn knowledgeable.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much, will do.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

bumpin'
Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM

I am in the same boat as you, i have 5 amalgam fillings, it was 7, but had 2 replaced with white filling stuff, from a regular dentist before i knew anything about mercury in fillings, ahh, anyway, i am reading Evidence of Harm and it is really concerning me. I am also completely banning seafood, esp. tuna, we don't it much anyway.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
Old 10-14-2009, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
I am in the same boat as you, i have 5 amalgam fillings, it was 7, but had 2 replaced with white filling stuff, from a regular dentist before i knew anything about mercury in fillings, ahh, anyway, i am reading Evidence of Harm and it is really concerning me. I am also completely banning seafood, esp. tuna, we don't it much anyway.
Do you do anything now - besides avoidance of new exposure - to lessen your mercury load?

I am really bummed about this b/c I don't forsee ever being able to afford removing all amalgams. Icky, icky, ICKY!!!

Thanks for responding,
Sandy
Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 PM

I'm in the same boat Practically every molar is filled with amalgam. I am just glad that I found out about how bad amalgam fillings are before my kids got too many fillings!
Old 10-14-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedHead View Post
I'm in the same boat Practically every molar is filled with amalgam. I am just glad that I found out about how bad amalgam fillings are before my kids got too many fillings!
Are you or your kids symptomatic?
Old 10-15-2009, 07:50 PM

What about activated charcoal?
http://www.ehow.com/way_5407960_acti...ury-detox.html

Quote:
Activated Charcoal for Mercury Detox
# Activated charcoal has been successfully used for detoxifying a person's body and freeing them of mercury accumulation. Activated charcoal comes from burnt wood, sawdust, shells, coconut, petroleum coke, coal and peat; the remains of burnt wood or other materials, when dried, become charcoal. This charcoal formation, when exposed to oxidized gas, forces the charcoal to undergo a natural erosion process internally. The latter erosion intensifies the charcoal's ability to absorb things since a network of pores is further intensified during the erosion process, thereby tripling the pores inside the charcoal. Activated charcoal can absorb metals like mercury and other heavy metals so that they can be passed out of the body. The charcoal can be consumed orally for effective treatment of heavy metal poisoning.
I haven't used it - but maybe someone else here has?
fp
Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 PM

I don't mean to steer away from op's topic too much... but in case you find this of interest:

Here's a really interesting article I found on Dr. Mercola's site by Dr. Klinghardt:

Quote:
Why do patients that are exposed to mercury, deposit the toxin in various areas of their body?

Some deposit the mercury in their hypothalamus (and develop multiple hormone problems), or in their limbic system (depression). Others deposit it in the adrenals (fatigue), or in the long bones (osteoporosis, leukemia). Some in the pelvis (interstitial cystitis), in the autonomic and sensory ganglia (chronic pain syndromes); some in the connective tissue (scleroderma, lupus), or in the cranial nerves (tinnitus, cataracts, TMJ problems, loss of smell), or in the muscles (fibromyalgia).
Full Article Here

I have adrenal fatigue and thyroid problems that I have a hunch are both attributed to metal toxicity.

fp
Old 10-15-2009, 08:23 PM

SandyMom, since you haven't gotten a lot of specifics in this thread yet, I can share some overview ideas, I'm not sure where you are in the process of learning about mercury toxicity (and I have a feeling we've been on threads together, I'm just really bad about remembering names w/o faces to match).

Have you looked at the supplements suggested at either the autism-mercury yahoo group (mostly aimed at kids) or the frequent-dose-chelation yahoo group (mostly aimed at adults)? Those are the nutrients that get depleted as we get sick, and some of the issues we have are mainly related to being nutrient-depleted.

Things like: B vits, esp B6 and B12 (but the group works together well), mag, zinc, folate, usually our balance of omega-3/omega-6 is really off so DHA and/or EPA supps are often involved, vitamin C helps, vitD is usually low (due to liver stress/overall oxidative stress? not sure on this).

When we start fixing these, we've got more work than most people--it's not just eating well, it's years of basic work in the body that we've gotten behind on, that's why some of the dosages are really, really high, far higher than normal/fairly-healthy people could handle.

For me, removing gluten and dairy from my diet seemed to take a significant burden off my liver--as best I can tell, based on reading and my experience with how I've felt, proteins were leaking out of my gut and my liver had to deal with them (they should, obviously, stay in the digestive tract til they're very broken down, but that's not working right in me right now). That made an impact, for DS too, in allowing our livers to work on more important things.

Adrenal and thyroid support (whether vit/min support or replacement supps or a combo) are usually involved, and doing something here can help you feel better, and also allow you to think better and make better decisions. Brain fog is a hard way to get through life and make choices.

As for things that mobilize metals, it took me a while to really appreciate that I was way far out at the tail end of the bell curve in terms of toxicity. The things that generally help most people (stuff you read about on general websites if you google detox), can make highly toxic people very sick, because our toxic loads are really high and our detox pathways are very impaired. So anytime you contemplate something that actually mobilizes toxins, check it out with a few sources that are focused on really sick people, and if you try something, try it lower and slower than most recommend. The general H&H forum, or TF, are places to start reading, and if you find a really good healthcare provider, that's obviously a great resource (but double-check for a while, to make sure _you_ agree) but look for suggestions tailored to the very-unwell.

ETA: I meant to add, you can get ideas within MDC, but then go outside to forums that are more geared toward people with high toxic loads, there are several chelation ones, I am partial to Cutler-style chelation because I think it's safest (given my lack of specific knowledge of how to do this homeopathically), and those sites have warnings on some stuff. You _can_ try some things they recommend against, but you need to keep in mind the balancing act, you've got the potential to mobilize a lot more than other people, so you need to have nutrients in place beforehand, and always go slower and more gradually than you think you need to.

FWIW, vitamin C flushes from Perque helped me...
http://www.perque.com/pdfs/Pt_Ascorbate_Slush_FIN.pdf

I did them (read the doc all the way through carefully) while nursing and I think it improved the quality of my milk.

Modifilan (a seaweed product) I also took while nursing and I give to the kids, it's my go-to if I do too much and get a headache, body aches, like that. It stopped the headache I got post-amalgam removal. It's fine as a daily thing too, that's how I use it with the kids.

A few things that I think are only appropriate very late in the game, once you're quite a long ways down the getting-healthy path are cilantro (I haven't tried it yet), DMSA and ALA after amalgams come out. I'm sure there's other stuff. I haven't tried kombucha, but if you did, I'd start with very small amounts (totally guesstimating, maybe 1 tablespoon/day?) for at least a month before considering more, and only after I had improved my nutrient status (since those nutrients that we're low in are the ones we're relying on to get the mobilized toxins out).

Good site to read about liver function and nutrients, glutathione and methylation are big here, but really everything is connected, and everything becomes impaired to one degree or another.

http://tuberose.com/Liver_Detoxification.html

I don't know if this was too general, I was hoping it would provide things to read about and start with. on dealing with this, it's a lot of work.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:19 PM

my post:

"you might wanna PM TanyaLopez"

Sandy, if I'm not mistaken, you are looking for a detox while you have your amalgams in. And in that case, you're probably looking for what NOT to take as a detox while you have amalgams still in place in addition to what works in these situations...?
Old 10-16-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post
my post:

"you might wanna PM TanyaLopez"
I know, right? I found this thread when there was only one response and came to respond only to find one of the people I was going to suggest suggesting a search on the other one I was going to suggest. Kind of figured that covered the bases so I walked away.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the responses, Mamas!

Frannie - I will look into the activated charcoal - that looks very promising, thank you!

eireann:
Quote:
Sandy, if I'm not mistaken, you are looking for a detox while you have your amalgams in. And in that case, you're probably looking for what NOT to take as a detox while you have amalgams still in place in addition to what works in these situations...?
YES!!!! I can't foresee being able to afford having them removed safely - plus I've read so many nightmare stories about ppl being poisoned even during the proper protocol - it's scary. But it's also scary watching my health deteriorate while I am slowly poisoned to death right now!

Tanyalopez I am SO grateful for all the info! I truly appreciate you being so generous with your time and knowledge. This brain fog is really dense right now which - as many of you know - makes it extra challenging to get all this figured out.
Yes, I have read the tuber rose stuff and the yahoo chelation stuff I'm just starting. I'm also wading thru the chelating mams thread over in dental - and the iodine thread as well.

You rae spot on about the detoxing things - I see now that I cannot take things that help others - like MSM and even too much garlic.

I have Hashimoto's and Addison's and I am pretty certain they are both related to my mercury toxicity.

Both my dd's have thyroid issues and even though they don't have amalgams, I bf'd both for over 2 years and lost a pc of filling during both pregnancies!.

So, I'm studying up on how to lessen my toxic load WITH fillings in place.
AND detox my dd's who, technically ought to be able to chelate since they have no fillings, right?

With this brain fog hopefully I'll be able to figure it out before they turn 18!!!!

Thank you again - all for the input - it's greatly appreciated!
Sandy
Old 10-16-2009, 05:17 PM

i feel for you. I have amalgams and I just started b12. I thought my head was going to explode from the headache, probably detoxing. I don't have the overt symptoms of poisoning, but I still want them the heck out. Heaven knows they aren't doing anything GOOD in there. I do have LOW b12 and high MCH, both indicative of a deficiency (veggie diet since I was 13 and never supp'd. smart!) i also have a vitamin D issue. my hair test had merc in the green (according to some, that means nothing if your minerals seem out of whack) but uranium was sky high. high uranium leads to nephrotoxicity and achey bones. definitely got those achey bones... >

From what I understand, you need to avoid the following with amalgams:

chelating agents that can pull merc from your fillings
ala
chlorella
cilantro
kombucha
lemon juice in detoxing amounts (double check that one)
anything that tells you it detoxes should be used with caution, since it can do more harm than good.

those are just a few. in addition to all the VERY informed ladies on this site, if you go to frequent dose chelation group on yahoo you might get some more info.

it can be totally overwhelming and there is a lot of fear mongering out there as well, so just try to take it all in stride. sorry you are feeling the effects of mercury. ugh!
Old 10-16-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
i feel for you. I have amalgams and I just started b12. I thought my head was going to explode from the headache, probably detoxing. I don't have the overt symptoms of poisoning, but I still want them the heck out. Heaven knows they aren't doing anything GOOD in there. I do have LOW b12 and high MCH, both indicative of a deficiency (veggie diet since I was 13 and never supp'd. smart!) i also have a vitamin D issue. my hair test had merc in the green (according to some, that means nothing if your minerals seem out of whack) but uranium was sky high. high uranium leads to nephrotoxicity and achey bones. definitely got those achey bones... >
whoMe in the Allergies forum has high uranium too...

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
From what I understand, you need to avoid the following with amalgams:

chelating agents that can pull merc from your fillings
ala
chlorella
cilantro
kombucha
lemon juice in detoxing amounts (double check that one)
anything that tells you it detoxes should be used with caution, since it can do more harm than good.

those are just a few. in addition to all the VERY informed ladies on this site, if you go to frequent dose chelation group on yahoo you might get some more info.

it can be totally overwhelming and there is a lot of fear mongering out there as well, so just try to take it all in stride. sorry you are feeling the effects of mercury. ugh!
This brings up a really good point, a distinction that's hard to make at MDC, since such a high proportion of the population is nursing.

There are two separate risks often discussed, the first is mobilization when there's a nurseling involved, the second is unintentionally mobilizing too much compared to the available detox bandwidth.

As an example, google liver detox and you'll end up reading about lemon juice and how it helps induce the gallbladder to squirt out bile and helps the liver. Some places talk about quite a bit of lemon juice, others say hey, juice from 1 lemon in the morning before breakfast. I tried the juice of 1 lemon thing before breakfast, and it made me feel better within a few days. Never felt bad, just better, better mood, more even, it was nice. I did notice one odd thing, my skin started smelling like cigarette smoke. And it was only a week or so later that it occurred to me, hey, is this a good idea for nursing DS? It wasn't. Even though I saw no symptoms, no changes in him, because I was giving him a laundry list of vit/min supps, I adjusted the dosage of one and realized he suddenly had a lot more circulating toxins.

The lemon juice (in such a small quantity--larger quantities have made toxic people really sick, and the more toxicity symptoms one has, the more cautious they should be) _was_ good for me, I still do it now, but it wasn't good for my nurseling.

Other things like cilantro have a much higher risk of mobilizing too much, so even if there's no nurseling involved, short-term issues like headaches/body aches, nausea, vomiting are possible, and then mid-term issues like declining mood and adrenal worsening are possible.

The only two things I am sure are bad with amalgams in are ALA and DMSA (and DMPS, a different chemical chelator, but it's not used as much). Maybe/probably cilantro? Not sure, but it's strong enough that I haven't tried it yet, it seems like a late-in-the-game thing.

Kombucha deserves a special warning not because it mobilizes from the amalgams, but because it's a real food, and so I think it's too easy to assume it's fine, lots of other people take it daily and they never had problems. The gulf between us and them is significant. But kombucha, if other supplements and other supports are in place, I think could be used to slowly improve health, it just needs a lot of caution and self-monitoring (including looking for subtle downgrades in mood over the course of weeks).
Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 PM

a few things below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyMom View Post
Tanyalopez I am SO grateful for all the info! I truly appreciate you being so generous with your time and knowledge. This brain fog is really dense right now which - as many of you know - makes it extra challenging to get all this figured out.
Yes, I have read the tuber rose stuff and the yahoo chelation stuff I'm just starting. I'm also wading thru the chelating mams thread over in dental - and the iodine thread as well.

You rae spot on about the detoxing things - I see now that I cannot take things that help others - like MSM and even too much garlic.

re: sulfur foods, some people do better on a high-sulfur diet, others on a low one, and since your DD's are most likely like you (how's your DH for this type of stuff, and his health overall?), it may be good to experiment with the whole family. The kids and I do best high-sulfur, so lots of eggs and onions and such, and MSM was fine (used it before I knew mercury was an issue), but others have really bad reactions, and really feel better when they craft a low-sulfur diet. Here for more reading on that....

http://livingnetwork.co.za/chelation...hur-food-list/

I have Hashimoto's and Addison's and I am pretty certain they are both related to my mercury toxicity.

Do you eat gluten? I'd strongly consider taking it out, both since celiac is also autoimmune, but even if celiac isn't an issue, gluten exacerbates so many problems for so many of us. At some point, consider supplementing selenium, it's a) depleted by mercury, b) necessary for making glutathione, and c) involved in autoimmune issues, and peoples' antibody numbers can come down with selenium supplementation.

Both my dd's have thyroid issues and even though they don't have amalgams, I bf'd both for over 2 years and lost a pc of filling during both pregnancies!.

So, I'm studying up on how to lessen my toxic load WITH fillings in place.
AND detox my dd's who, technically ought to be able to chelate since they have no fillings, right?

Yes. My kids don't have amalgams, their issues are just due to growing in me. If you can find a knowledgeable HCP, that's a really nice support. But if not, a lot of people on the autism-mercury yahoo group are doing this on their own, and there's lots of good advice there, if you just read carefully and take your time.

With this brain fog hopefully I'll be able to figure it out before they turn 18!!!!

Thank you again - all for the input - it's greatly appreciated!
Sandy
Do you have thyroid and adrenal support in place for yourself? That can both make you more functional now and help you think more clearly and go forward faster. But mostly, be kind to yourself, I can see that I was going slower and doing less a couple years ago, and although sometimes I am frustrated that I couldn't do more, earlier with the kids, realistically I was doing the best I could.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

eireann Thanks for the list.

TanyaLopez Yes, I am on adrenal and thyroid support - and it has helped SO much! I could hardly walk before, literally. And this current brain fog is nothing compared to when my adrenals crashed! Scary time!

Yes, I eat gluten still I know I should eliminate - and I think my dd's would benefit - it feels like a huge undertaking right now to implement in our home. We do eat really well though.
I've been supplementing selenium daily for over a year. I also do 1 tsp sea salt in water daily, b complex, b12, vit d, probiotics, magnesium and iron. I tested pitifully low on D, iron and b12. Like in the dirt low. I feel much better just bringing those levels up but it's been a long haul. And blood expensive!
I know many here can relate!

If I can mop up some of this mercury I think it can only help. But you're right, it's a long process and most of it trial and error.

Thanks again to all for your input!
Sandy
Old 10-18-2009, 12:37 AM

I just posted this info. in another thread. My naturopathic doctor put my mom on alginate plus and zeolite for mercury detox from getting her fillings removed wrong.

xoxoxox

Old 10-19-2009, 02:44 PM

subbing
Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 AM

This post helps people to some views about mercury detox in the post. The amalgams present in the cavity, generates mercury poisoning and it can be treated only when all the amalgam silver fillings in the cavity are unconcerned. Another worst aspect of mercury poisoning, our body may or mayn't illustrate any indication regarding the mercury poisoning, thus leading to serious health hazards.

User Tag List