Can I get some opinions on a eye appt DD had? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-09-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More than a yr ago DD had some sort of stye on her eyelid so I took her to an opthamologist. Eventually it cleared up on its own.

The doc seemed nice enough so when I decided to make a routine vision exam appt for DD I contacted the same office. Everything seemed to go fine (except I did not want DDs eyes dilated but the gal put the drops in so fast I didn't get a word in). A few days after the exam, I realized that I did not get any paperwork and I like to stay on top of things (insurance-wise and all even though we have great coverage) so I phoned their office to get something mailed to me. I learned that it was billed as a medical appt "b/c of DDs condition." She went on to say that DD has esophoria and hyperopia (benign, basically normal conditions). I was stunned as the dr never said a word to me about that and I was in the exam room the whole time. DD does not wear glasses, never had vision issues. I simply made the appt b/c she is just turning 9 and reading like crazy and I figured it would be a good age to get a vision test. If it ain't broken, don't try to fix it.

Anyway, I asked the office mgr (wife of the doc) to have the doc call me so I could talk to him. I wanted to understand why he didn't say anything to me...I was talking to him right in the exam room when DD had her appt and he only said that she's normal and healthy. So he phoned me, but wasn't very pleasant w/me. He went on to say things like,"well if I were to explain all about DDs condition to you in the office, we would have been there for 3 hrs. And it's nothing to worry about" I wasn't concerned about her. I know she is fine. I said that I didn't expect him to go into a lot of detail with me--just to simply say DD has xyz but it's normal and typical. I stated that if the insurance company was going to be billed for xyz b/c DD has a certain "condition", surely, as the parent, I should have that information shared with me first. I asked him how I would be able to get info like that in the future from him and he said he wasn't going to change how he manages the office. He also asked me, "well, now that you have that information [about DD], what are you going to do with it anyhow?" In the end, what it came down to is that I would have to request a copy of DDs chart if I want info on her appt. How odd is that? Can't he just tell me while I'm there?

I don't know. I realize I may have opened up a can of worms about inquiring about something benign, but it seems so little to ask from DDs doc--to share w/me what diagnosis he labels DD to the insurance co. Geesh--it was just supposed to be a simple vision exam. I realize he is an opthamologist and they look for eye diseases, but I can't understand why he couldn't share his diagnosis w/me and he doesn't feel he needs to if it's nothing to worry about.
Do you think I should stick w/this office or move on to some other place next time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 10:51 PM

Could it be that he gave her those diagnoses in order to get a higher rate from your insurance company? That is why he did not bother to say anything. I'd feel uncomfortable with that kind of care. Just in case they do procedures that they can justify, and your insurance will cover (like the drops).
Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 PM

No way I would stay with them. That is ridiculous that he didnt mention anything to you at the visit. There are better options out there use one of them.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 PM

Honestly, my gut says to take a copy of the chart and move on to another office...

Sorry to hear about the unpleasant phone call. He should have told you during the exam.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbinsc View Post
Could it be that he gave her those diagnoses in order to get a higher rate from your insurance company?
Yeah...well...I didn't want to say that, but you read my mind. And I suppose he may have sensed that I could have been insinuating that. We are really blessed w/great health ins benefits; sometimes I do wonder if drs milk it when they hear that my DH works for a specific company.

You know, with the all stuff about health insurance/care going on, I feel it is my duty to make sure my insurance co is not billed for procedures not performed. And since our family isn't the standard family (we decline vax, have declined flouride treatments and xrays in the past, etc.) I think it can easily happen that the bill goes to the ins co with all the standard appt stuff.

DD won't need another eye ckup for a good 2 yrs, but unfortunately this doc seems to be pretty popular in the area and well-known. It figures.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:19 AM

Good for you for keeping on top of the care provided to your family. We have had really good insurance and then self employed insurance with high deductible. I could go on about the over care my family received with the good insurance vs the conservative approach with our current insurance.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:47 PM

I'd make another appt with a different optomotrist(for now, not in 2 years). She may not even have these normal conditions. I wouldn't bother with this place again.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:26 PM

I agree that you should ditch that doctor. BUT, speaking as someone with strabismus (eye alignment issues), I would get a second opinion on the diagnoses. It might be that the doctor just put them on her chart to get more out of your insurance company, but I absolutely would not just let those diagnoses go as "benign and normal." Especially the esophoria.

User Tag List