2 year old/ear infection/fever - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-11-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am new here and have been reading for a few weeks. I love this site! Ok, so my son is 2 and he started having a runny nose. I did eucalyptus in his room at night and rubbed in on his body with lotion. That really seemed to help along with a bulb syringing out his nose at night. Well yesterday he started pulling at his ears and I knew that he would probably be getting an ear infection. Sure enough he developed a fever. We were on a trip so I did not have access to the internet. I found a holistic health store and she recommended colloidal silver. So yesterday I gave him a half a teaspoon to ingest and filled his one ear with the silver. I did the ear a total of 3 times. He had a fever all night so I have been giving him motrin. Everytime the motrin wears off the fever is right back. I don't know if this silver is working or not. Should I continue to give it to him today and how many times? I don't want to ruin his ear but I hate for him to have to be on antibiotics again. I would allow the fever to run to about 102 but even at a 99 degree temperature he is so uncomfortable. I don't know if I should just take him in to the doctor or keep trying the silver? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!!
#2 of 3 Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son recently had an EI, I've never used colloidal silver, but the two things I did that stopped the EI were onion juice in his ear and massaging his ear. I rubbed little circles in front of his ear, basically right at the flap that you push down on to block sound out of your ears (surely that has a proper name, but I don't know it), and I also rubbed behind is ears, starting at the top of his ear, down to the dip behind his earlobes, and then down his throat to his collarbones. No harm in massaging both sides, in case the other side is slightly congested too. I think the massage was the big thing that helped, poor kid went from waking up crying in pain to being able to sleep lying flat a few hours later.

You may want to (if you consume dairy) stop for now, dairy seems to exacerbate EIs, some folks find EIs stop altogether if they cut out dairy. We don't consume dairy, so that wasn't our issue though.
#3 of 3 Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd has only had 2 ear infections (both from dairy intolerance) and really they were horrible. It was acute for a good 48 hours - she was only comfortable when I held her and walked, she was being pushed in the stroller, or driving in the car. But then it was done, no ABX.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page