body cleanse for a nursing mother - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2009, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!
I'd like to cleanse my body out of all bad stuff and clean my stomach and all other organs, like liver, kidneys, etc. How can I do it if I still nurse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 05:19 PM

I have heard zeolite is safe for nursing mothers. And I think Pascalite clay too.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 10-12-2009, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I have pink zeolite powder. I am not sure how much to take. Is it for the GI tract cleanse or for all the body?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

buzzzzing mothers please help
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 AM

I don't know about the things already mentioned here, but from what I have always heard is that you should never do a cleanse when you are nursing. The reason being that if stir up the toxins in your glands (liver etc) then they WILL end up in the milk. I nursed my babe for almost 4 years and I never did a cleanse because I was affraid to for this reason. I also know a mom who did do a cleanse becasue she was like "I am so doing this cleanse" even though her little one was nursing and her babe self weaned in one week because of the tainted milk.... hmmm. Can you just wait until you wean, even if it is several years?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:49 AM
EMS

I think a gentle cleanse is ok. You don't need to take any herbs or supplements for this. How about just gradually phasing out white foods (sugar, white flour, white rice, etc.), industrial meat and animal products, and caffeine, adding more vegetables, especially greens, drinking tons of water? Just these steps alone will really go a long way to cleansing your organs, and can't possibly be harmful to your nursling.

www.thegoldenpapaya.com
Raising Three Boys in Brazil ::
Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM

I agree with EMS. That is an excellent way to give your body a boost without cleansing.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 PM

What EMS said.

Iron pumping, swimming, biking, and running mama to 2
loving my plant-based, whole foods lifestyle
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

i appreciate it!
I haven't had any whites in years, I eat greens and veggies on a daily basis, but I don't want to leave out animal products because they're so important for babies during their groth period.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

the reason I want to have a cleanse is that when I go toilet (sorry for details) it smells pretty bad. Besides, my life blood analysis showed parasites, colon plague and heavy metal toxicity plus candida. I made a visit to a doc, and they, too, found heavy metals in my urine.

Second reason for my wish to clean my body is that I've started having lots of colds. I think my body needs to get rid of some deposits.

About toxins in the milk, I agree they are not good for little ones. But they get in the milk anyway, without cleanse or not. Of course, during the cleanse they may find themselves in the milk in a lot larger concentrations, but if you do the cleanse right, it won't be that bad. By doing it right, I mean cleaning you GI tract first so that all the nasties would flash out freely. If the GI tract is stuffed and blocked, then of course the toxins will look for other ways to get out, like though breatmilk.

WHat do you think?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

buzzing
Old 10-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trus View Post
the reason I want to have a cleanse is that when I go toilet (sorry for details) it smells pretty bad. Besides, my life blood analysis showed parasites, colon plague and heavy metal toxicity plus candida. I made a visit to a doc, and they, too, found heavy metals in my urine.

If that's what you've got going on, your LO is already at higher risk than the typical kid out there. When we accumulate heavy metals, our kids get them from us (plus the nutrient deficiencies that go along with them). Your LO has less ability to detoxify this stuff than the average kid out there, and you will mobilize more than the average mom.

Second reason for my wish to clean my body is that I've started having lots of colds. I think my body needs to get rid of some deposits.

About toxins in the milk, I agree they are not good for little ones. But they get in the milk anyway, without cleanse or not. Of course, during the cleanse they may find themselves in the milk in a lot larger concentrations, but if you do the cleanse right, it won't be that bad. By doing it right, I mean cleaning you GI tract first so that all the nasties would flash out freely. If the GI tract is stuffed and blocked, then of course the toxins will look for other ways to get out, like though breatmilk.

WHat do you think?
I think what you're contemplating is very risky for your nurseling. The idea of a cleanse is to mobilize toxins, and from personal experience, I'll say that it's very easy to increase mom's circulating toxins without mom feeling bad, and nurseling's toxic load shoots up. BTDT.

I am trying to say this gently, but I think you want to have your cake and eat it too. I don't know enough about your situation to know if you're at this point, but there comes a time when the best decision is to separate the health of mom and nurseling. I got to that point with my son and I weaned him, I think it was the right decision for us.

If you have a helpful doctor/HCP (or you're willing to make educated guesses), I'd start by looking at nutrients, vitamin D is an obvious one if you've been ill too much, but things like zinc and selenium, which are needed to make glutathione and which gets low when metals get high and are both involved with immune function, folate and B12 are important for detoxification too, and extra vitamin C will help give your body a pathway for toxins that are already circulating.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

THank you so much for these tips! They are great!
So you don't think that gentle herbal cleanse will be good?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 PM

I'm also nursing and want to do a cleanse. I cleansed regularly before having DS. I will NOT being doing a clenase until DS weans. My ND also advises me to wait.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM

Here is a thread here where people did liver flushes while nursing an older child: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=689142 and they are saying its safe. At first I just assumed that it wasn't safe, but I think I'm coming to the same conclusion that its most likely safe after researching this lately. I just love the results from liver flushing because I used it a few years ago to cure my acne (did a series of 10 flushes). And if its any comfort at all, I actually did a liver flush when I was about 1 month pregnant on accident and my daughter turned out pretty darn healthy--she'll be 2 next month (the accidental liver flush happened because I never planned on getting pregnant and I never tracked my periods, but was always regular so I didn't suspect I was pregnant until my period was really really late and by then I was almost 2 months pregnant)

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 PM

We can add myself to the list of moms who have done a liver flush while nursing. I completed a Dr. Hulda Clark's liver flush today and got out a lot of stones, many really small ones and some a little bigger, probably about 100 total (there were so many small ones) This was my 12th flush. My 11th flush I did when I was one month pregnant in early 2007. Prior to that, I had done a series of 10 flushes, about two to three weeks apart. On my 8th through 11th flushes, I did not get out many stones, but none were really tiny. My 5th and 6th flushes were the ones where I got out gigantic stones, like as big as quarters a few of them.

I feel just fine. I didn't vomit. The flush that I did while I was pregnant caused me to vomit a few times. Otherwise, I don't normally vomit during a flush (only once or twice before that).

I didn't observe any noticeable changes in my 23-month old. We nursed as usual during the night (we co-sleep).

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

Old 10-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
So you don't think that gentle herbal cleanse will be good?
No.

The thing is, IME, to see immediate negative health/behavior changes in a kid, a _lot_ has to change at once. Kids, IME, can absorb a lot of crap before they show symptoms. Neither of my kids has a diagnosis (though to be fair, I started making changes in our lives when DS was only 14 mos old), but both got enough toxins from me, just from growing in me and nursing, that I think their lifelong health, and in more subtle ways, their development now, are at risk. If you want a peek at how seriously concerned I am about their health, go over to the Chelating Mamas thread in Dental.

Moms who most need detoxification help are the ones who grow kids most at risk to any additions to their toxic load.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:

WHat do you think?
Have you tried digestive enzymes for improving digestion/stool? Vitamin A, B12, folate, zinc, etc for getting sick often? What metals are you looking at? Do you show signs of toxicity from them? Does your nursling?

Think about the different exit routes in your body for the various toxins you're trying to clear (urine, stool, skin, etc). If you're collecting stuff, then likely at least one of those is blocked somehow. Milk counts as an exit route, so if one of the safe routes is blocked, then your milk is already taking an extra hit. Your little one is likely already getting a bunch of the stuff you're talking about clearing. What is *their* detoxification limit? If you dump a sudden load, will they be able to handle it right now?

If you really want to do this, have you thought about taking a temporary break from nursing?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 AM

i agree w/ tanya and whome. i wouldnt risk it, and its not really a situation of "if they're getting it anyway..." exposure on average vs exposure during a flush is like the difference between taking a few sips of beer and drinking the keg.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:56 AM

I am curious about this as well. I asked about what to do while I am pregnant and got the "no go" from everyone, which is okay. I don't know enough about it, which is why I asked in the first place. But I did the Master Cleanse before becoming pregnant and it helped SO much. I know I need to do more than just one cleanse after 40 years of eating poorly, especially because I have yeast issues. But then, the week I planned to do it again, I found out I was pregnant! (I did not plan this pregnancy! )

Honestly, I do better with a "plan" like the Master Cleanse than I do with just saying, "I'm gonna avoid this and this and this" and see if it works. I'm the type person who can go through 10 days of he-- easier than I can say, "for six months, I'm gonna not eat sugar and carbs and see if that lessens my problems... or whatever." Does that make sense? So the only thing I've been doing lately is a saltwater flush.

Can you do a saltwater flush when you are nursing? I would think it would be safe. It's just warm water and sea salt that you drink and it works in about 30 minutes. Can't you do this a couple times a week to flush? Even when nursing? It gives the same effect as taking something like Smooth Move (an herbal laxative) the night before. And it gets rid of toxins in your colon.

Again, I am just asking questions. This is pretty new to me so I am just as curious about keeping myself healthy during my pregnancy and upcoming nursing.

Abigail Grace (40ish), Wife to 1 Knight in Shining Armor
Homeschooling Mom to 6 and a surprise bundle due in March
Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailGrace View Post
Can you do a saltwater flush when you are nursing? I would think it would be safe. It's just warm water and sea salt that you drink and it works in about 30 minutes. Can't you do this a couple times a week to flush? Even when nursing? It gives the same effect as taking something like Smooth Move (an herbal laxative) the night before. And it gets rid of toxins in your colon.
Is this the salt water flush you're talking about? http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=982306 It looks like the main goal of it is just to get the bowels moving, like Epsom Salts are supposed to do for the liver flush and according to both the AAP and the world's leading expert on medication in mother's milk, Tom Hale, classify Epsom Salts as safe for consumption during breastfeeding. Here's a link with the information- http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...oved-meds.html

Olive oil and grapefruit juice are safe to consume while breastfeeding too, right? Those are the only 3 ingredients involved in the liver/gallbladder flush, nothing else is needed. I took my extra virgin olive oil/grapefruit juice mixture almost 24 hours ago, and I've been getting out stones all day, and I'm not done yet, I just dumped out many more stones about 10 minutes ago. The last epsom salts I took about 13 hours ago.

I had a friend asking me about the safety of this earlier today and this is what I said: "I don't think toxins are being released anywhere else in the body. Just toxins would be coming out from the liver and/or gallbladder and would be going right through me as diarrhea, thats how the stones get out, thanks to the epsom salts. Here is more info I gathered from curezone "Liver cleanse can be taken without any problem, 2 - 3 weeks after birth. Both Epsom Salt and Olive oil are OK for baby. Your body will absorb the amount of epsom salt that can not harm you, or your milk. The rest of the epsom salt that is not absorbed will only cause diarrhea for you, while baby is safe. Many people have done it."

Old 10-24-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereseReich View Post
Is this the salt water flush you're talking about? http://curezone.com/blogs/fm.asp?i=982306
Yes, this is the one I meant. It is used in the lemonade diet I was talking about. And I have only been drinking half of it and it does the trick. (it's great for constipated mamas, too!)

Thanks for taking the time to link that and adding the info you did.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:52 AM

If it cleanses your colon, it mobilizes stuff. Period. This is what I was told by a professional in colonics. She told me straight out she would NEVER do a colon cleanse on anyone who was pregnant OR nursing.
I'm another one whose ND advised NOT to do a liver cleanse while nursing as well.
I nearly cried when I found out I was pregnant with DS3 simply because I was wanting a year after DS2 was weaned to lower my own toxic load and that of any children I might carry and/or nurse. The universe had other plans, I guess.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-24-2009, 12:46 PM

I just want to mention that while specific ingredients may be perfectly fine and safe, it's the dose and timing that matter. Dd got bloody diarrhea after I drank three glasses of fresh limeade after a hike. She isn't/wasn't sensitive to any of the ingredients - we have them all the time. She was reacting to the stuff I mobilized by thinking lime water on an empty stomach.

And Epsom salts may be safe for some, but there's at least one recent post from a mom who soaked in them one night and felt amazing afterwards then her ds got the load of mobilized toxins and slept horribly all night. For contrast, I *don't* have any sulfate issues/deficiencies, so dd and I do Epsom salt baths with no positive or negative symptoms for either of us.

I'm not saying no way don't do it. I'm just saying get as much info as you can, know your own body and situation, and think about the whole picture. Personally, I would exhaust other, safer ways of improving symptoms first, and save a cleanse as a last resort if the benefits at the time outweighed the risks.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
I just want to mention that while specific ingredients may be perfectly fine and safe, it's the dose and timing that matter. Dd got bloody diarrhea after I drank three glasses of fresh limeade after a hike. She isn't/wasn't sensitive to any of the ingredients - we have them all the time. She was reacting to the stuff I mobilized by thinking lime water on an empty stomach.

And Epsom salts may be safe for some, but there's at least one recent post from a mom who soaked in them one night and felt amazing afterwards then her ds got the load of mobilized toxins and slept horribly all night. For contrast, I *don't* have any sulfate issues/deficiencies, so dd and I do Epsom salt baths with no positive or negative symptoms for either of us.

I'm not saying no way don't do it. I'm just saying get as much info as you can, know your own body and situation, and think about the whole picture. Personally, I would exhaust other, safer ways of improving symptoms first, and save a cleanse as a last resort if the benefits at the time outweighed the risks.
This is a very good point. Especially about drinking the limewater on an empty stomach. That, I will have to remember.

And again, it's no different than taking antibiotics or drugs that the doctors say are okay to take. We all have to figure out what's best for us and what risks we are willing to take. It is very helpful to hear what others have experienced and/or done in these situations, though, so we are better educated about what we should or shouldn't do.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanl you for all those posts!
I wonder now if taking wheatgrass powder or juice, zeolite or MSM or drinkiong 3 glasses of beet and green juice would be considered a cleanse? it gives me creeps that some supplemetns or foods that I take might work as a cleanse and wake up those toxins that later will be dumpted to my milk.

I am not ready to wean yet. But I am also wondering if the level of toxins I currently have is so high that it would be better to wean. I am really concerned about breasfeeding now.

As for liver flushes, i wouldn't do them with olive oil while nurisng. These is a rally mild one using beets. As for herbal cleanses, there is a really mild one designed for nursing mothers where you start taking some condiments, like caraway seeds, then add some calamus root.

Anyway, right now I am wondering if I should stop taking zeolite on the occasion and drink green juices.

My kid sleeps bad at night, but I think it's a tummy problem. Might it be caused by toxins in my milk?
Old 10-25-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Thanl you for all those posts!
I wonder now if taking wheatgrass powder or juice, zeolite or MSM or drinkiong 3 glasses of beet and green juice would be considered a cleanse? it gives me creeps that some supplemetns or foods that I take might work as a cleanse and wake up those toxins that later will be dumpted to my milk.

I am not ready to wean yet. But I am also wondering if the level of toxins I currently have is so high that it would be better to wean. I am really concerned about breasfeeding now.

As for liver flushes, i wouldn't do them with olive oil while nurisng. These is a rally mild one using beets. As for herbal cleanses, there is a really mild one designed for nursing mothers where you start taking some condiments, like caraway seeds, then add some calamus root.

Anyway, right now I am wondering if I should stop taking zeolite on the occasion and drink green juices.

My kid sleeps bad at night, but I think it's a tummy problem. Might it be caused by toxins in my milk?
Yes, it might be. It may also be food allergy/intolerance... Although that may be a chicken and the egg problem...
I believe zeolite is sort of like bentonite in that it will decrease your circulating toxins. I've been considering taking some bentonite myself... There's another current thread about that, you may want to check it out: here.
I'm not sure about caraway seeds, but I do know that cilantro/coriander mobilizes mercury... so I'd be cautious even with something seemingly that innocuous.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-25-2009, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Does it mean that nursing mothers can not eat cilantro? I know that cilantro helps you with heavy metals overload as well as chlorella. BTW, does anybody take spirulina or chlorella? They are somewhat detoxifying too, but in my opinion, it is not wise to stay away from cilantro or those algae during nursing as they are very rich in substances that are great for us.

Please explain to me how doing a couple of enemas at home is damaging to your kid? Your body gets rid of gunk that has been poisoning you and your breastfed little one. How is that bad? You, a nursing mother, feel better after doing an enema. Doesn't it mean that your little one will feel better too? I would imagine that feeling bad after an enema bag meant a big deal, but it is never a case. I, for example, always feel great after ridding myself of some build-up with a help of enema. I figure if it does good to me, how can it be bad for my little one?
Old 10-25-2009, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

how could be a chicken and egg problem? sorry I didn't quite get it
Old 10-25-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Does it mean that nursing mothers can not eat cilantro? I know that cilantro helps you with heavy metals overload as well as chlorella. BTW, does anybody take spirulina or chlorella? They are somewhat detoxifying too, but in my opinion, it is not wise to stay away from cilantro or those algae during nursing as they are very rich in substances that are great for us.

Please explain to me how doing a couple of enemas at home is damaging to your kid? Your body gets rid of gunk that has been poisoning you and your breastfed little one. How is that bad? You, a nursing mother, feel better after doing an enema. Doesn't it mean that your little one will feel better too? I would imagine that feeling bad after an enema bag meant a big deal, but it is never a case. I, for example, always feel great after ridding myself of some build-up with a help of enema. I figure if it does good to me, how can it be bad for my little one?
I have chosen to at least limit my cilantro intake as I'm of the opinion that cilantro mobilizes more than it expels.
I don't take spirulina nor chlorella but I know at least one other highly respected mama on these boards who does and does not recommend them during breastfeeding.

From what I understand of it, cleansing your colon allows your liver and your kidneys to dump (mobilize) toxins they're holding and ends up pulling (mobilizing) toxins from other areas of the body. These mobilized toxins will not all end up just "flushing out" through the digestive system. Some will end up being reabsorbed, temporarily increasing your circulating toxins, including the amount of toxins in your breast milk. Your nursling, not having the benefit of having a colon cleanse, ends up with the toxins dumping into them with no where to go but build up in their system.
And I would NOT suggest doing any kind of colon cleanse on a child of any age.

That's my opinion and you're certainly entitled to your own.

User Tag List