Is this too much vitamin D for kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is 2000 iu of Vitamin D per day too much to give a 5.5 and 2.5 year old? They both get a multivitamin with a little vitamin D in it and the 2.5 year old does drink about 2 cups of milk per day.. We live in the northwest and I would like to also offer some immune protection, but I don't want to over do it and cause harm. I would appreciate any and all replies as I am really wanting to start supplementing in a safe way ASAP.. I would also love to be directed to any research you guys know of regarding this..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 AM

I give my 3 year old at least 3,000 iu a day, and when sick at least 10,000IU.

DS 5-11-06
#3 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's fine. Reading on the vitamin D council website is a good place to start. If the kids are deficient, they may need more, I am giving my kids more but we've got specific health things we are working on and I'm comfortable with my understanding of our overall health situation. Testing at some point may be helpful too, I plan to test the kids sometime in the coming months, but I started supplementing first.
#4 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gribbit View Post
Is 2000 iu of Vitamin D per day too much to give a 5.5 and 2.5 year old? They both get a multivitamin with a little vitamin D in it and the 2.5 year old does drink about 2 cups of milk per day.. We live in the northwest and I would like to also offer some immune protection, but I don't want to over do it and cause harm. I would appreciate any and all replies as I am really wanting to start supplementing in a safe way ASAP.. I would also love to be directed to any research you guys know of regarding this..
I don't have an expert answer for you; I personally think it's fine. But the other day on Dr. Oz's show, he mentioned that it would be easier to die from too much water than from too much vit D. My children, ages 4 and 6, get about 1000 iu's from cod liver oil, plus a multivitamin which has some D (vegetable form) and some milk (also vegetable form.)

I'm thinking of upping their dose a bit to adjust for the less sunny weather; perhaps to 2000 or more.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#5 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 05:20 PM

I was looking at clo today, since I read it was better to get Vit D that way, but it only had 100 of Vit D in it. How do you get up in the 1000's of Vit D with clo? Is there a certain brand? My boys get 400 and 200 through thier multi vit, but I want them to have more.
#6 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Personally I don't think CLO has enough vitamin D to help with a deficiency or to compensate for low amounts of sunshine. Vitamins A & D work together, and consuming extra A means your body will use more D as well. I think it's useful work, and you may want/need extra vitamin A (I give the kids cod liver oil) but I don't consider the CLO as an important source of D.
#7 of 14 Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I think it's fine. Reading on the vitamin D council website is a good place to start. If the kids are deficient, they may need more, I am giving my kids more but we've got specific health things we are working on and I'm comfortable with my understanding of our overall health situation. Testing at some point may be helpful too, I plan to test the kids sometime in the coming months, but I started supplementing first.
Yeah, the Vitamin D Council actually says to start supping first, then test after you've been supping for a couple of months. They recommend, for healthy kids under 1, give 1000 IUs. For kids over 2, give 2000 IUs. For adults, give 5000 IUs. Then test after 2 months, so you can adjust your intake to get in between 50-80 ng/ml:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/healt...eficient.shtml

But if you get sick, I would take a lot more, and I just did recently.
#8 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 AM

We give around 1,600-2,000 IU daily (Carlson drops are great) to our 2.5 yo. It is really hard to OD and 2,000 is recognized as safe for anyone over age 1. (And this is probably a conservative estimate.)

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#9 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 06:29 AM

I just read that a proper dose of vitamin D is 35 iu's for every pound of body weight. (I'm pretty sure I read that on Mercola's web site)

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#10 of 14 Old 10-15-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
We give around 1,600-2,000 IU daily (Carlson drops are great) to our 2.5 yo. It is really hard to OD and 2,000 is recognized as safe for anyone over age 1. (And this is probably a conservative estimate.)
Do you have any problem giving the drops? Do they taste ok? I'm going to start a vit. D regimen but need to find something my DD will take!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#11 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusmomma View Post
Do you have any problem giving the drops? Do they taste ok? I'm going to start a vit. D regimen but need to find something my DD will take!
I put the drops in my kids milk/chocolate milk. I don't think they can taste them.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#12 of 14 Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 PM

I give my 2 yr old NOW brand D3 drops and it tastes like water. It is so easy to et her to take it. I think I give her 2,000-5,000 iu per day. I never measuer. The dropper ful is 5,000 iu, and I just fill it up, but never full. We also eat alot of carrots, sweet potatoes and greens so we should have our A covered (in addition to the Blue Ice CLO we take too.)
#13 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 AM

I got D3 soft gels - I assume it would be ok to just break it open and squirt the liquid into the clo and give it to DC's that way?
#14 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 AM

I put the carlson's baby d drops right on my 2.5 yo's tounge--he's fine a/b taking them--I don't think it tastes like anything...

I like the carlson's b/c the only ingredient (besides vit. D) is coconut oil. (No corn, soy, etc.....)

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page