Mothering Forum banner

coconut oil?

2K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  BubbleMa 
#1 ·
Can someone please explain the benefits of including coconut oil in a diet/wellness regimen. How do you cook with it and keep the healing benefits?

thanks

#3 ·
I've had this book (see link) for years and its great. Amazing what CO is all good for.
I go thru stages where I consume more CO. I put a tblsp in our oatmeal or some in OJ. Also, make coconut peanut butter balls which are so delicous. I need to get some peanut butter to make these again. You can use it to fry anything. Also, great to use as a moisturizer and some even use it as a deodorant. I love coconut oil.

http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Miracl.../dp/1583332049

#4 ·
I use it as an antifungal to help with my candida problems. I also use it on my skin and in my homemade deoderant. I use it in stir fries or melt it in my hot tea. Sometimes, I eat it straight out of the jar. I love the taste. I get Nutiva brand.

Here are some articles and links from my favorite candida healing website.http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com.../menu3_3_2.php This lady is a wealth of information.

#5 ·
In Nourishing Traditions it states C O includes lauric acid -a 12 carbon saturated fatty acid which improves prostaglandin production and enhances the immune system.
AIDS pts and immunocompromised people should consume 20-25 grams of it daily -12 grams are in approx .2 tablespoons of coconut oil or 3 T creamed coconut .

#6 ·
I just bought a jar of coconut oil, and I LOVE it! It is delicious straight out of the jar, plain! Add it to smoothies, dips, hot tea, warm food, etc. You can add it to anything.
I also use it as a facial moisturizer every night.

#9 ·
I buy mine in the grocery store in the natural foods aisle. It is pricey, but a little goes a long way. We use CO for everything. From a topical scar cream (my moms age spots have almost completely disappeared) to making popcorn, we use it all the time!

I see someone else recommended The Coconut Oil Miracle. That is a great book! I highly recommend it also.

#10 ·
I buy mine from Wilderness Family Naturals online. They have tons of great stuff. I use Coconut Oil in lots of ways. We add it to our smoothies. We cook eggs in it, hashbrowns too. I pour warm water over it, add a bit of honey and have my kids drink their "oil drink" each morning. I also use it as a lip balm and to help with diaper rash. I even had my son rub some in his eyes when we thought he might have pink eye. They were blood shot and the boy next to him in class had had it so we did that twice and he never got worse. It's wonderful!

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post
I buy mine in the grocery store in the natural foods aisle. It is pricey, but a little goes a long way. We use CO for everything. From a topical scar cream (my moms age spots have almost completely disappeared) to making popcorn, we use it all the time!

I see someone else recommended The Coconut Oil Miracle. That is a great book! I highly recommend it also.
I had no idea it helped age spots. I'll have to start using it. Noticed one the other day.

#15 ·
This is an old thread, but I'm reviving it because I just discovered coconut oil! I LOVE it. I use it to wash my face. I slather it on (a little bit goes a LONG way) and then use a hot washcloth to wipe it off. There's a little bit left behind, just enough to moisturize without being too greasy. I also eat 1 tsp daily, straight out of the jar. Sometimes more because it's yummy!

My skin has cleared up (I have mild acne) in the three days I've been using it. My old acne scars have lightened dramatically as well. I've tried just about everything to get rid of my acne and nothing has worked so effectively! :D

#16 ·
I love it for thrush! I've dealt with thrush every SINGLE day since my first was born 9 years ago. I'm working on my internal yeast issues, too, but every time I get a flare-up I swipe some on my nips and it goes right away. Seriously in hours. And I use it on the resultant diaper rash, also and it goes just as quickly on the babe. And I've been using it on 2yods eczema on his cheeks and it helps there, too.

#18 ·
We cook with it, too. Mostly, we use it with eggs and salmon patties or other high temp frying where olive oil isn't the best choice. I also like it in place of butter on toast and bagels and such, but the rest of the family isn't into it like that. I also eat a spoonful here and there.

I actually started with eating it straight off the spoon for a dental problem (gum infection) and for oil-pulling and as a facial moisturizer. Oil-pulling was way too intense with VCO for me. I switched to sesame oil and like it MUCH better for this purpose. The VCO did wonders for my gum abscess, which has completely healed. I did a few things for it, so I cannot say it was 100% the VCO.

I absolutely ADORE VCO for the skin!!! I use it daily as an all-over facial moisturizer (just half a nail scraping works beautifully for my normal skin). I rub the excess into my finger nails, which has dramatically improved my cuticle health. No more hang nails and dry, cracked cuticles!!! It is a wonderful lip balm, too, but doesn't last particularly long topically. I bet it still does subtle work, though, because I use it less often than official lip balms with better results. I have also used it for scratches/scars after the initial treatment with calendula ointment and/or my own homemade first aid oil. VCO also works nicely for my homemade salves in the cooler months. It thickens up any oil mix I make due to its unique temperature-sensitive consistency.

I purchased my first jar at the hfs. Expensive.

I got the next four jars through amazon on various deals. Significant savings.

I keep the main jar in the kitchen for cooking / eating purposes. As soon as I open it, though, I fill a few small clean jars with some for topical use. I keep these in our master bedroom.

BTW, it makes a great personal lubricant, as well. Just know that it is not compatible with latex condoms. Any oil will break down the latex and could result in unwanted pregnancy or other such things one uses condoms for... Aloe vera gel is compatible with condoms and is also a great personal lubricant, at least the Aloe Life brand is.

#19 ·
#20 ·
I love coconut oil! We use it in cooking, smoothies sometimes and I also put some on dd's bottom where she has eczema and it works quite well to clear that up. After reading this thread I'm interested in using it in more ways!

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
BTW, it makes a great personal lubricant, as well. Just know that it is not compatible with latex condoms. Any oil will break down the latex and could result in unwanted pregnancy or other such things one uses condoms for... Aloe vera gel is compatible with condoms and is also a great personal lubricant, at least the Aloe Life brand is.
lol, we have found this to be true, too. And since I have problems w/yeast I figure it's doing double-duty. Dh will come on to me by asking if I'd like him to apply my yeast medication, lol. Sorry, TMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
It is a wonderful lip balm, too, but doesn't last particularly long topically. I bet it still does subtle work, though, because I use it less often than official lip balms with better results
I just found this recipe on Mountain Rose Herbs last week and the kids and I are going to give it a try tomorrow.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/newsletter/11/january/lipbalm.php

#23 ·
Hey, do you ladies know what the difference is between cold pressed and expeller pressed? All the info I'm finding is related to cooking with it. What about the other uses we've talked about here? Is one better than the other?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.